Wiki Posts
Search

Mumbai, Langkawi and Dubai via Emirates + Malaysian Airlines business class

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
I stayed in the Andaman a couple of years ago - very nice hotel, lovely beach too.

I absolutely loved Langkawi - also stayed in The Danna while we were there, which is firmly in the top 3 hotels I’ve stayed in
Definitely worth checking out next time we go!

Originally Posted by adrouault
Great report so far. Loving it! I'm flying to BOM for 10 days next week. Can't wait!
Thanks for reading! Remember, no ice!

Originally Posted by offerendum
A great vacation! I wonder how all this Food taste if it stays there for a while.
We stayed away from the food that was already prepared and sitting there. Cold satay is not good satay and we learned this the hard way.

Originally Posted by stevie
Great TR so far!
Thank you!
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Enjoyed the TR. Thanks
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: Star, One World, Sky Team
Supper/Dinner on MH

What's the reason there is a Dinner and Supper option on MH?

American/British translation?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:12 am
Original Poster

#peaceouttothemotherland

With 3 days spent eating, drinking and shopping, it was time to pack up and head to Dubai. The Blacklane limos arrived on time where our luggage was loaded into the van and us into the BMW.

Construction of the Mumbai Metro.

20 minutes in mild traffic and we arrived at Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport.

Our driver dropped us at door 6 but said its best to go through door 8 as it was the closest to the Emirates check in counters. Bonus points for no line up at door 8 and we were past the first checkpoint quickly.

Emirates F and J check-in shared with Jet Airways J check-in.

The economy line on the other side.

Really amazing architecture design.

Mesmerizing.

The side entrance to security and immigration for F/J passengers.

We headed to the lounge for breakfast after we were done the formalities. Here is Junior pretending to be a rick driver.

We were ushered to the right side instead of taking the elevator downstairs.

Our birdie pulling into the gate.

The Spa area.

Tarmac view.

Buffet area.

Left the lounge at T-45 to get to gate 78.

Where boarding was already in progress and most of the passengers were inside.

Our birdie for this flight.

Took the middle three seats.

What’s for lunch?

SQ just arriving into the gate.

There was a delay with pushback but we were eventually under way.

Peace out India!

Lunch was served quickly after the seat belt sign went off. The appeteaser and main were served on one tray.

Chicken main with Mezze appeteaser.

Even though my mother ordered the lamb main, she fell asleep and I didn’t want it to go to waste, soooooo … down the hatch and oh man, it was delicious.

Carrot halwa which was good.

Junior somehow got this dessert which was not on the menu. He got all the feels from the cabin crew.

A few winks later and we were back in Dubai.

Our chariot to the hotel.

Parents booked all of us into a 3 bedroom suite at the Golden Sands 10 hotel apartments located behind the Bur Juman mall in Karama. Decent room but the bathrooms were severely in need of a renovation.

Next up – 3 days of shenanigans in Dubai.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:14 am
Original Poster

#ootandabootindubai

After a nap, we headed out in the evening to the Karama Souk to have dinner with family. It’s funny how you know your ‘hood by its old name when you were growing up and don’t know the new name after not having lived in the country for so long.

Me (telling destination to the taxi driver): Karama Shopping Complex
Driver: Where?
Me: Karama Shopping Complex
Driver: you mean the Karama Souk?
Me: Uh, sure …

The ‘ole stomping grounds. Only back then, there were no murals on the walls and the place used to be alive and thriving with people shopping. Only now, it’s a zombie area with stores selling bootleg stuff.

Childhood memories.

Yup, nothing has changed in the past 20 years.

Biryani in a bucket.

For breakfast the next day, we came back to the Souk area to this old haunt that was frequented during my childhood days.

Recipe has not changed in 30+ years and still tastes good.

Shot of a building in need of a paint job but will be torn down and rebuilt in time for the 2020 Expo.

After shopping during the morning and meeting some more family, we headed out for lunch to another familiar joint.

Mutton biryani.

Chicken 65.

Butter masala prawns with gravy for the biryani.

Chicken lollipops.

Fried kingfish.

A trio of lassi, mango lassi and mango milkshake.

After a few hours of hanging around with family, we took Junior to the Dubai Mall for the first fountain show of the evening.

We turned in early as we had to get up early for the long drive to the Jebel Jais mountain in Ras Al Khaimah.

A quick pit stop into a side road to check out some dunes.

Ten minutes down from the pit stop was a truck stop where we had breakfast.

Amazing keema paratha.

Burji.

Paya.

Back on the road towards RAK.

The mountains coming into view a few hours later.

Looks like we are headed in the right direction.

Making our way up the mountain through the winding roads.

Found a shed where we camped for the day. These types of sheds were located at certain points along the road and there were even toilet facilities nearby. The city of RAK really planned out promoting the area as a tourist spot and did an amazing job. We happened to come on a Saturday and there were no crowds to deal with for the entire duration we spent in the mountains.

The end of a zip line adventure. The touristas would be picked up by the cars waiting and taken back to the starting point.

For the ‘gram.

Forbidden … juice?

As with all family outings, lunch was pre-cooked and warmed up on camping stoves.

We left around 3pm for the two-ish hour drive back to Dubai. Some shots along the way with a setting sun.

Thirty minutes out from Dubai, we quickly stopped at a gas station for tea.

Passing by DXB to get to Karama.

Behold … the Dubai Frame. A contentious topic of discussion amongst the locals where if you look one way, you see new Dubai where the wealthy and upper-middle class live and if you look the other way, you see old Dubai where the not-so-middle class live.

Evening traffic.

Here ends the story of our shenanigans in Dubai. With family get togethers dominating our time in Dubai, it leaves us little to do in terms of exploration and it brought up a good point that we need to visit other emirates in the UAE to get the full experience.

With our flight back to YYZ leaving at an ungodly time of 4am, I booked a room at Golden Sands 3 for the 3 of us to camp out at until our 1am pick up.

Next up – Emirates business class DXB to YYZ
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:21 am
Original Poster

#backtocoldweather

How to make your child go for a nap quickly? Have him chase pigeons.

Checked out and the chauffeur was already waiting for us. We all luggage and body part inside, we reached DXB in less than 15 minutes.

Shiny.

Some day …

With the check-in hall being a complete ghost town, we checked in pretty quickly. Immigration and security a breeze as well and we were off to concourse A.

After some mild duty free shopping, we headed up to the lounge and camped out near our gate.

Last shot at unhealthy vacation eating.

Suspected that the onboard menu would not be appealing, so I stuffed my plate. #satisfying

Hit the shower room for a quick fresher upper.

Boarding started at T-45 and we made our way through.

Our birdie.

Business class would be 1/3 full tonight.

Being in the end gate meant a quick taxi to the runway.

What’s on the menu? As suspected, was not impressed with the selection.

Taxi was quick.

Until next time, Dubai.

Soon after take-off, Junior conked out.

Breakfast was quickly served and done in an hour. The crew took my order before take-off – didn’t want to eat but I ordered one for picture’s sake. Went to bed shortly after breakfast.

Cheese omelette.

Junior woke us up 4 hours into the flight but I went back to bed while my wife looked after him.

With 2.5 hours to go, I woke up and took over daddy duties while my beloved went to sleep. She ended up skipping her meal.

Juniors’ meal.

While I started with the tomato soup.

Chicken as my main which ended up being moist and tasty.

Ending with the Raspberry royale which was P-H-E-N-O-M-E-N-A-L.

Safely back on Canadian soil. My wife was impressed with the way the pilots yanked the nose to line up with the middle of the runway upon landing.

Back in -19C weather. Yay.

It took us 1 hour from the point we got off the plane to the point where we walked into our house.

If you have kept up with me until the end, thank you very much for reading and see you on the next trip!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
Excellent report. Thanks for sharing.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:54 pm

Did you swim in the ocean in Langkawi? I heard there are box jellyfish?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Would like to know how many People dare to use the washing Maschine. Would fear the laundry comes out rusty
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:23 am

Fabulous report= thank you!
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Great TR - lots of variety
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mackerel
What's the reason there is a Dinner and Supper option on MH?

American/British translation?
Good catch, mackerel. Just did a quick search and apparently there's a difference. >> In parts of the US, supper and dinner are used interchangeably to refer to the evening meal, but elsewhere dinner is the midday meal, akin to lunch, and supper, the evening meal. What do these words really mean? The word dinner does not necessarily imply the time of day.

Originally Posted by tennislover9
Excellent report. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you, tennislover9.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Did you swim in the ocean in Langkawi? I heard there are box jellyfish?
Hey Bretteee, yes went in the water and no traces of jellyfish during both stays. Probably there are jellyfish during specific times of the year. The one thing that really gets you are the sandlflies during the evening.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Would like to know how many People dare to use the washing Maschine. Would fear the laundry comes out rusty
Funny enough offerendum, I did use the washing machine / dryer and it didnt come out so fresh ...

Originally Posted by dante30
Fabulous report= thank you!
Originally Posted by adampenrith
Great TR - lots of variety
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Enjoyed the TR. Thanks
Thanks dante30, adampenrith, ExpatSomchai for reading.
offerendum likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.