RTW in J: Cairo, Papua New Guinea, East Timor, Bali and Nepal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RTW in J: Cairo, Papua New Guinea, East Timor, Bali and Nepal

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: Meh
Great report, pity you were unwell. Great pic with the dog and sphinx.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by stevie
Great report, pity you were unwell. Great pic with the dog and sphinx.

Thanks for reading! Glad you enjoyed it.

I'd never been sick while traveling before, so I suppose I was overdue...
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:16 am

great to see a glimpse of Dili. would like to go there someday. can't help but reminiscing my country's dark side in the history.
shame that you didn't get much to see of the PNG!

thanks for sharing.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Great trip report. It's a shame you missed diving in some of the world's best reefs.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Really good TR (other than feeling bad for you getting on planes with sinus problems - totally no fun). Thanks for the wonderful photos (loved all the dogs and monkeys)
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:53 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by swingaling In October 2018, I contacted two tour operators for quotes on a half day tour of Dili, Timor Adventures (TA) and Eco Discovery Timor Leste (ED). Both companies provided quotes, but ED was 50% more expensive than TA. So I booked a tour with Timor Adventures (TA), sent a deposit and confirmed the tour. So far so good. A few days before my arrival, ED emailed me asking to confirm if we were still on for the tour. I found it strange, as I'd not booked anything with ED, so I ignored the emails.

I'd arranged for TA to meet me at the airport at 8:30AM. I arrived at DIL around 7:15AM, prepared to hang out for an hour waiting on my guide to show. Strangely, a guide was already there when I landed (printed sign with my name, the whole works). I figured that was my guide from TA, so off we went in his car. Note: he had no company insignia on his shirt, car, sign board, etc. Anyway, it was strange he was there so early, but I didn't give it much thought.

We're driving into town, and ten minutes later my phone rings. The guy calling tells me his name is Julio and he's my tour guide from TA; he's at the airport and looking for me. Hmmm, strange. So I ask the driver what tour company he's from and he tells me he's from Eco Discovery. Ok then. I asked the driver/guide to take me back to the airport because I'd already booked a tour with TA (and never booked anything with ED, just asked for a quote). He complied and dropped me at the airport without any issue.

Definitely not how I expected to start my visit in Dili.
I had similar thing happen in Benin for a safari tour in Pendjari Park. Had contacted a few companies but didn't confirm. Then at our hotel both companies showed up at the same time.. Awkward.

Crazy itin! Makes my usual trips look tame in comparison. Glad it all came together despite being sick!

Last edited by hauteboy; Feb 22, 2019 at 3:07 pm
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by blueferrari
great to see a glimpse of Dili. would like to go there someday. can't help but reminiscing my country's dark side in the history.
shame that you didn't get much to see of the PNG!

thanks for sharing.
Thanks for reading! If/when I ever get back to PNG, I'll definitely go farther afield than Port Moresby.

Originally Posted by manneca
Great trip report. It's a shame you missed diving in some of the world's best reefs.
I do have a scuba rating, but diving isn't really my thing. Though I've heard the reefs near PNG are amazing.

Originally Posted by lb8001
Really good TR (other than feeling bad for you getting on planes with sinus problems - totally no fun). Thanks for the wonderful photos (loved all the dogs and monkeys)
Thanks for reading!

Originally Posted by hauteboy
I had similar thing happen in Benin for a safari tour in Pendjari Park. Had contacted a few companies but didn't confirm. Then at our hotel both companies showed up at the same time.. Awkward.

Crazy itin! Makes my usual trips look tame in comparison. Glad it all came together despite being sick!
Thanks! I've read a couple of your TRs and your trips sound really interesting. Especially some of the Africa trips. I'm currently weighing a day trip to Mogadishu (en route from JIB to NBO) in April, but who knows if that will come together or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.