Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

The world’s only scheduled beach landing – Glasgow to Barra (GLA – BRR)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The world’s only scheduled beach landing – Glasgow to Barra (GLA – BRR)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA Blue :(
Iv done this trip, its great fun. Like the Sunsets.
LondonAndy likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: QF, HH
Makes for a great weekend away, doesn't it! I went a couple years back and wrote a small trip report, but your photos far outdo mine. How did your kids find it?
LondonAndy likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Nice TR LondonAndy. Yes I did this back in June as a day trip but haven't got around to writing up my TR yet. Will try and do it soon.
LondonAndy likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RCyyz
I'll admit, I had to look up Kisimul Castle. I like how it was leased for the princely (annual) sum of "£1 and a bottle of whisky".
If you'd seen the state of the castle you'd probably think that Historic Scotland got the bad end of the deal . Never mind the flights being cancelled due to bad weather, yesterday the boat trips to the castle (which is a trip of about a minute in duration) were cancelled due to bad weather!

Originally Posted by Catweazle
How did your kids find it?
They're young enough that a beach, a kite, a cycle ride and dolphins is all they needed. The hotel also had a home cinema room with hundreds of films and we had a really fun evening watching Madagascar... Give it a few years and I'm sure it will be all about the lack of wifi and mobile signal !
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:34 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Many postboxes in London also state their "last collection time" as 9am. In reality it might be anything from 9am to 5pm.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
Many postboxes in London also state their "last collection time" as 9am. In reality it might be anything from 9am to 5pm.
Completely OT but my experience, living in London, is that 5.30 is normally the earliest "last collection time" during the week - certainly that's true for the postbox nearest to home and work. Not surprisingly there is a website for everything, including checking post box locations and collection times
https://www.localpostbox.co.uk/
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Go for it.

Nice report and photo's. However, you want to try it in the middle of winter , wind howling, snow tipping down. I did it a few years back on a mileage run when it was operated by BA. I decided that next time, Spring/Summer would be best, and so it was...one flight was early evening with the tide way out, next time the timetable had changed to early morning...tide again.
For those interested Loganair have jumped back into bed again with BA, from Sept 1st.
Avios will be available, but not for redemptions .
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:09 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
Completely OT but my experience, living in London, is that 5.30 is normally the earliest "last collection time" during the week - certainly that's true for the postbox nearest to home and work. Not surprisingly there is a website for everything, including checking post box locations and collection times
https://www.localpostbox.co.uk/
I spend time at two addresses in London Zone 5, one north and one south. The nearest postboxes to both state 9am collections. This changed from 5pm around 2014 (see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...ost-boxes.html and http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5175879).

The LocalPostBox website doesn't even show one of them, and the other one is still listed as 5pm which is now wrong. In both cases, they are on residential side streets that are a bit out of the way. Walking in a different direction for ~30 seconds more will lead me to other postboxes with 5pm collection.

Anyway the point is that postmen will collect from those boxes immediately after they have delivered to the nearby houses. If the delivery round is at 9am then that's when they'll collect, if it's at 2pm then they'll collect it then, but they don't guarantee the delivery round time so the collection time has to be listed as the earliest possible.

In the evening they will only collect from selected postboxes, and some in outer London and the one on Barra aren't included.

As you are the OP anything you post can't really be OT - but to get back to the original topic: nice TR and I hope to fly this route next summer. Some Loganair(Flybe) Highlands routes have ridiculous prices (I'm thinking about WIC), and Avios was the only way to get them down to something reasonable, which won't be possible any more. Though perhaps BRR was always relatively cheap given that it's popular with tourists.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks very cute.

BA has cut the prices on their LON-BRR published tariff, to take effect on the day that LM and BE part ways. So maybe prices will go down a bit.
LondonAndy likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Iongantach!! ^
LondonAndy likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by LondonAndy
After an hour we were on the final approach and then landing on the beach (the first post 9/11 flight where you’ve been able to keep an eye on what the pilot is up to!)
Try flying Harbour Air on the west coast of Canada. You might find yourself sitting next to the pilot on their scheduled service - headset provided.
LondonAndy likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

absolutely wild, and i have family in glasgow, so im going to have to do this

thanks!
LondonAndy likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Nice TR LondonAndy, the beach looks a little different to the one we stood on watching fireworks in Hawaii!

However I assume the 30c temperatures were similar...
LondonAndy and Calchas like this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveNCL
Nice TR LondonAndy, the beach looks a little different to the one we stood on watching fireworks in Hawaii!

However I assume the 30c temperatures were similar...
Yes, Honolulu and Barra were virtually identical in every regard - how built up they were, the temperature, everything .

I called this my summer of Island Hopping (from Hawaii to Barra!).
Calchas likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
Great TR! Have done this trip 2-3 times, and loved it.

I love the fact the island tourists line up to watch her come in and depart again... And on occasions I've been on Barra via ferry, I've joined them.

But - and this is an totally true story - when I was about 6/7 I was on holiday up in the Outer Hebs and was building a sand castle on the beach with my Dad. And was most upset when a Land Rover came racing over, a guy got out with his spade and flattened my castle, and explained the plane was due. I wasn't on the "runway", but I was close enough that it could end up being used, so my castle was in the way.

Does the Twin Otter still run a leg up to Benbecula on certain days of the week? That used to get a lot of tourists on Barra who'd arrived by ferry, just hopping up on an instant return ticket, just to experience the beach landing.
Calchas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.