Search

9 Days in Asia: Taipei, Hanoi, Ha Long Bay and Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:36 pm
Suspended

When did you go, Chief?
I am planning my own Hanoi & Hong Kong trip during Thanksgiving
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:24 pm

Makes me want to visit Vietnam. Thanks for the nice pictures. If I am corect one needs a Visa for Vietnam. I am so used to going to countries that don't require any.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Love all the photos...many great shots in the report!
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BOSTravels
When did you go, Chief?
I am planning my own Hanoi & Hong Kong trip during Thanksgiving
Went the 2nd week of May. Hanoi and Hong Kong get weather isn't quite as hot in November but I believe it's usually more overcast/rainy that time of the year.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Makes me want to visit Vietnam. Thanks for the nice pictures. If I am corect one needs a Visa for Vietnam. I am so used to going to countries that don't require any.
Thanks. Vietnam (for US citizens) is an e-visa purchased online. It only takes a few days and all you do is print it off and hand it to the immigrations officer. Very easy!

Originally Posted by chongl
Love all the photos...many great shots in the report!
Thanks!
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Wonderful review
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Great trip report.

Non-rev tickets - are you getting a "buddy pass" from a Delta employee or related to a Delta employee to fly non-rev?
Delta said its non-rev program is not coming to an end.

could you explain how this works and when its ending? I'm based out of Seattle.

Going EVA AIR Sea-TPE(Jan 18' 3 days)-BKK(Jan6-Feb 8)5 weeks) --- but fly to Hanoi, Bali then back to BKK/Phukett (buy cheap tickets in BKK like Jetstar unless you have better idea). Regret purchasing EVA Air vs Cathay Pacific as I heard EVA seats very small.

Sensational pictures.

Last edited by euromannn; Jun 19, 2017 at 6:31 am
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:29 pm

deleted

Last edited by euromannn; Jun 19, 2017 at 6:04 am
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: AF Plat Ultimate, BA GGL, MS Elite
Fabulous TR, I enjoyed going through your pics. One is special since I lived there (PVG).
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Welcome to my latest trip report! A brief introduction: With free flights coming to an end very soon, I wanted to make sure my last major trip of 2017 was to somewhere that would normally be expensive or difficult to get to. Going to Vietnam would normally be expensive for flights, on top of the fact that Delta doesn't service it. This meant I could fly standby on other airlines to get there for very cheap, something else that also goes away very soon. Well, things have changed and the free (well almost free) flights will continue indefinitely, but that didn't change the fact that this was a fantastic trip. All the flights worked out perfectly, it was cheap and oh, the food was fantastic!

This trip report will entail the following in detail:
1.5 days in Taipei, Taiwan
4.5 days in Vietnam, split between Hanoi and Ha Long Bay
1 day (overnight) in Shanghai, China

Two Weeks in South Africa and Namibia: Joburg, Cape Town, Sossusvlei and Kruger

¡Bienvenido a Cuba!

Great report. We had a Tokyo/Taipei/Hanoi/Halong Bay/Hong Kong trip back in December.

At that point, the e-visa wasn't in place yet and it was $135/pp plus a service fee for the visa on arrival. Looks much easier and cheaper now!

Loved Hanoi - great hotels in the old city for really cheap rates. Also had a 2 night cruise to Halong Bay. Not a lot to do there - caves, small beach, visit to a floating fishing village and some kayaking - but the food was great and the scenery spectacular!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:25 pm

These photos are great! Thanks for sharing your trip!
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Wonderful review
Thank you.

Originally Posted by euromannn
Great trip report.

Non-rev tickets - are you getting a "buddy pass" from a Delta employee or related to a Delta employee to fly non-rev?
Delta said its non-rev program is not coming to an end.

could you explain how this works and when its ending? I'm based out of Seattle.

Going EVA AIR Sea-TPE(Jan 18' 3 days)-BKK(Jan6-Feb 8)5 weeks) --- but fly to Hanoi, Bali then back to BKK/Phukett (buy cheap tickets in BKK like Jetstar unless you have better idea). Regret purchasing EVA Air vs Cathay Pacific as I heard EVA seats very small.

Sensational pictures.
Thanks! I actually just turned 24 this month so I was switched from a full time student (which still get free flights like a child under 18 would) to a companion, which has variable fees but they're small.

Eva should be good I'd think. It looks like you'll actually get one more inch of pitch and a marginally thinner seat compared to CX.

Jetstar, Air Asia, Silk Air, Scoot and Vietjet are all good LCC's in SE Asia, just be careful with luggage, including carryons. Scoot weighed my carry on flying out of DMK last year.

Originally Posted by milesaddict
Fabulous TR, I enjoyed going through your pics. One is special since I lived there (PVG).
Thanks. My uncle lived in Shanghai in the late 2000s for about six years so I visited for a month back in 2008.

Originally Posted by socalterp
Great report. We had a Tokyo/Taipei/Hanoi/Halong Bay/Hong Kong trip back in December.

At that point, the e-visa wasn't in place yet and it was $135/pp plus a service fee for the visa on arrival. Looks much easier and cheaper now!

Loved Hanoi - great hotels in the old city for really cheap rates. Also had a 2 night cruise to Halong Bay. Not a lot to do there - caves, small beach, visit to a floating fishing village and some kayaking - but the food was great and the scenery spectacular!
Originally Posted by Mintycat
These photos are great! Thanks for sharing your trip!
Yep, looks like you fell right in the gap between the VOA and the Evisa unfortunately. Yes, Hanoi was fantastic, I loved that you can walk right out of the hotel and be in the action!
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Any idea how far in advance you need to book Hanoi and Hong Kong hotels?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BOSTravels
Any idea how far in advance you need to book Hanoi and Hong Kong hotels?
HK hotels I've always booked a few days prior but I've normally been on a budget. There are plenty of Hanoi hotels so short notice I'd think is fine too.

I typically travel on pretty short notice and have rarely ever come into an issue except for Namibia where everywhere near the dunes was sold out two months out when I started looking.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:21 pm

Hanoi

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
HK hotels I've always booked a few days prior but I've normally been on a budget. There are plenty of Hanoi hotels so short notice I'd think is fine too.

I typically travel on pretty short notice and have rarely ever come into an issue except for Namibia where everywhere near the dunes was sold out two months out when I started looking.
Do you recall where you stayed in hanoi? Area and hotel and cost?

Usually I go on a budget also. Funny going to Munich in Sept 20 and can't find a room or hostel under $109/night on weekends. Single room almost $300 during Oktoberfest on weekends.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by euromannn
Do you recall where you stayed in hanoi? Area and hotel and cost?

Usually I go on a budget also. Funny going to Munich in Sept 20 and can't find a room or hostel under $109/night on weekends. Single room almost $300 during Oktoberfest on weekends.
We stayed at the Hanoi Space Hotel which is in the Old Quarter. It ran about $35/$40 a night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.