Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another Mile or Two to Frisco: F on AA and UA and the City by the Bay

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Great report! I missed you by a day at Union Station and DCA. Flew into IAD from LAX on 5/7 and then took the Acela Express up to Philly, then back to Union on 5/10 and out of DCA to DAL that evening.

It's nice to see other airlines are still capable of offering PDBs unlike AA. I have my first US flights since the merger of AAdvantage coming up next week so I guess we'll see what happens. That F pitch on the US A319 looks very tight though. It's nice you were able to get the 787 on IAH-SFO. Sweet ride for the 3 hour midcon!
Old May 23, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: BAEC, HHonors, Bonvoy, Accor
Fun report! Going to SFO this summer so was good to see your photos!
Old May 23, 2015, 3:10 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UAL250
Great trip report. I haven't been to all 30 MLB stadiums like you, I've only been to about 15. I would rank AT&T, Busch, and Coors as my top three.
Thank you! There's a motivation to travel though, seeing more stadiums! I also really like Coors but I wasn't all that impressed with Busch. That said, it's been eight years since I was there so I guess I could check it out again and see if it's improved in my mind.

Originally Posted by theshaun
always enjoy your trip reports. thanks for sharing
Thank you very much and you are most welcome.

Originally Posted by cmd320
Great report! I missed you by a day at Union Station and DCA. Flew into IAD from LAX on 5/7 and then took the Acela Express up to Philly, then back to Union on 5/10 and out of DCA to DAL that evening.

It's nice to see other airlines are still capable of offering PDBs unlike AA. I have my first US flights since the merger of AAdvantage coming up next week so I guess we'll see what happens. That F pitch on the US A319 looks very tight though. It's nice you were able to get the 787 on IAH-SFO. Sweet ride for the 3 hour midcon!
Ha that's funny we just missed each other. You're right though about the 319 pitch, still it beat coach even with the unlimited legroom I missed out on.

Originally Posted by churchy
Fun report! Going to SFO this summer so was good to see your photos!
Glad you enjoyed it, have a great trip this summer!
Old May 23, 2015, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
As long as we are talking about favorite stadiums (where else on FT? )--here is my top 5:

1. Dodger Stadium (sorry, love my home stadium)
2. Petco Park (fond childhood memories of the old antique shops Tom Hom's Farmer's Bazaar and the that used to be there in the Western Metal Supply Co building that was so nicely incorporated into the stadium)
3. Wrigley Field (who can't love this one?)
4. AT&T Park (hate the Giants, love their park)
5. Kaufman Stadium (so out of date it is now cool again)
Old May 23, 2015, 4:48 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Thanks for the TR. I concur with plaudits for incredible photo of Chicago's Sears/Willis and others peeping through the clouds.
Old May 23, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
As long as we are talking about favorite stadiums (where else on FT? )--here is my top 5:

2. Petco Park (fond childhood memories of the old antique shops Tom Hom's Farmer's Bazaar and the that used to be there in the Western Metal Supply Co building that was so nicely incorporated into the stadium)
i haven't been to many but my fav is Chase field
Old May 23, 2015, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
What a great trip and a wonderful report. So many cool pics. Thanks for posting CMK10. But as San Franciscan for 10 years, I too cringe at "Frisco", song or no song.
Old May 24, 2015, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The late, great Herb Caen said it succinctly - "Don't Call It Frisco"!

Other than that, a great report - terrific photos infused with your witty and enjoyable commentary.

A couple of SF film tidbits:

In the original Dirty Harry film. the psycho killer kidnaps a school bus full of children and the bus ends up in a Marin County quarry - that quarry is now the location of the Larkspur Landing development; I used to work in an office building in that development.

Also, the Hyatt Regency atrium played a key role in the Mel Brooks movie "High Anxiety"

In 1989, I followed the Giants to all of the (then) National League stadia (including many that no longer exist). It was a very tight divisional race between the Giants and the Reds (two divisions then), fought out to the very end. The post-season included an epic NLCS against the Cubs (Will Clark vs. Mark Grace) and of course included the postponed Earthquake Game 3 of the WS, which i was at.

Do you still have your Croix de Candlestick? (I was looking for it on your cap or jersey)
Old May 24, 2015, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
I've said this before and I'll say it again: "Frisco" is the name of a town in Texas.
Im partial to Frisco Colorado.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: BA EC Blue, M&M, Flying Blue

Not Quite spelled the same (Darryl) but at least im Famous in San Fransisco :-D

btw i will be in Berlin 5/7 - 12/7

Once again, Fabulous Report Buddy ;-)

Darryl
Old May 24, 2015, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

Interesting list and I like a lot of those on there.

1. Dodger Stadium is a great place to see a game, especially as it's now one of the oldest baseball stadiums, I just wish you didn't have to deal with parking.
2. Petco is great, everything you want in an urban stadium
3. Agreed, I was just there last week actually. Wish they'd hurry up and fix right field though
5. Interesting answer, I actually like seeing games there too, especially now that KC is good again.

Originally Posted by 1P
Thanks for the TR. I concur with plaudits for incredible photo of Chicago's Sears/Willis and others peeping through the clouds.
Thank you very much!

Originally Posted by theshaun
i haven't been to many but my fav is Chase field
It's a nice one, especially for someone like me who grew up going to the old Shea Stadium

Originally Posted by SFO777
What a great trip and a wonderful report. So many cool pics. Thanks for posting CMK10. But as San Franciscan for 10 years, I too cringe at "Frisco", song or no song.
Coming from you that's high praise indeed. I'm sorry you guys don't like the song but it's really really catchy and in my opinion, a perfect road trip song that I thought was fitting.

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
The late, great Herb Caen said it succinctly - "Don't Call It Frisco"!

Other than that, a great report - terrific photos infused with your witty and enjoyable commentary.

A couple of SF film tidbits:

In the original Dirty Harry film. the psycho killer kidnaps a school bus full of children and the bus ends up in a Marin County quarry - that quarry is now the location of the Larkspur Landing development; I used to work in an office building in that development.

Also, the Hyatt Regency atrium played a key role in the Mel Brooks movie "High Anxiety"

In 1989, I followed the Giants to all of the (then) National League stadia (including many that no longer exist). It was a very tight divisional race between the Giants and the Reds (two divisions then), fought out to the very end. The post-season included an epic NLCS against the Cubs (Will Clark vs. Mark Grace) and of course included the postponed Earthquake Game 3 of the WS, which i was at.

Do you still have your Croix de Candlestick? (I was looking for it on your cap or jersey)
Ah very interesting film trivia, that is always appreciated by both of us.

And I certainly do have the pin. I have a section of my living room where I keep a lot of my baseball memorabilia. The pin is affixed to a Giants pennant (a pennant bought at Cooperstown back when Candlestick was still open...fitting I think)

Originally Posted by BAflyerNCL

Not Quite spelled the same (Darryl) but at least im Famous in San Fransisco :-D

btw i will be in Berlin 5/7 - 12/7

Once again, Fabulous Report Buddy ;-)

Darryl
I'll be in Berlin 2/7-5/7 so I'll just miss you
Old May 28, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: DL:DM;DL Reserve; LT Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Explorist
very impressive and detailed report. Thanks for sharing!
Old May 28, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA EC Blue, M&M, Flying Blue
Ahhhh Shoot! Mr Kunz,

We shall meet for the all elusive scotch or 7 at some point in the next decade or 2 :-D

Enjoy Berlin

Darryl
Old May 28, 2015, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrp2
very impressive and detailed report. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you very much and you're most welcome

Originally Posted by BAflyerNCL
Ahhhh Shoot! Mr Kunz,

We shall meet for the all elusive scotch or 7 at some point in the next decade or 2 :-D

Enjoy Berlin

Darryl
Yes I think I shall, it'll be great to be there especially as I'll be with family. And yes our paths will cross eventually, I'll be in Europe again around Christmas, I'll PM you my schedule when it's firmed up.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hertz #1 Gold
I was exhausted by the pictures! Looks like you had a great trip, except for your voucher luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.