FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports-177/)
-   -   RTW trip of the year! JL/SQ/EK Suites, Four Seasons, Park Hyatt, IC, Bali Villas (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1667217-rtw-trip-year-jl-sq-ek-suites-four-seasons-park-hyatt-ic-bali-villas.html)

blueline7 Apr 1, 2015 3:55 pm

What an incredible photo out the window of your hotel in Shanghai!

Enjoying the report! Many thanks for taking the time and making the effort!

HMPS Apr 1, 2015 4:14 pm

Good start.
On a lighter note, someone in your position must have an iPhone to take a pic of the gate lice ? You also could have asked the Asian man to take the photo ! He would have shot at least ten ? ;)

TOMFORD Apr 1, 2015 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by blueline7 (Post 24602449)
What an incredible photo out the window of your hotel in Shanghai!

Enjoying the report! Many thanks for taking the time and making the effort!

Thank you for the kind words. I usually don't write reports for business trips, or business portions of trips, but I couldn't pass up on this wonderful journey I had.

Originally Posted by HMPS (Post 24602564)
Good start.
On a lighter note, someone in your position must have an iPhone to take a pic of the gate lice ? You also could have asked the Asian man to take the photo ! He would have shot at least ten ? ;)

I have an HTC One, but I was on my phone the whole time, so couldn't use the camera. All the photos here, except the photos of food on the plane and the last two photos were taken on the HTC One. I really like the camera on it.

rkaradi Apr 1, 2015 5:38 pm

Cmon hurry up and post more about your trip.

TOMFORD Apr 1, 2015 7:03 pm

edited

HMPS Apr 1, 2015 7:24 pm

Your photo from the hotel room in Shanghai takes me back to our trip last year. it was a Marriott Jr suite. had the same view from the right of your window. A bathtub right in front of my window, just kept looking at the Pearl Tower.

aeroman380 Apr 1, 2015 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by work2fly (Post 24602171)
Really?

Let me guess, it's your charm that earns you 'all that money' :D

I agree. That gate agent probably likes their job and what they do. That should be respected and not by how much money they make. I personally think they should make more. Who cares how much you make and how many miles you have as it doesn't determine your worthiness. Not sure why you have to resort to name calling.

You have some great pictures but I had to stop reading as the crass language and name calling to others continued has put me off. Enjoy your travels.

spark787 Apr 1, 2015 9:35 pm

I was immediately put off by "do you know how much money I make" and the insinuation "I'm chinese and know history, those japanese are silly people"

This guy has the same attitude and language as those "entitled chinese elitists" he mocks.

Way to reinforce flyertalk stereotypes.

wp_kid Apr 1, 2015 10:45 pm

Wow, talk about wound up readers :D

There was a disclaimer at the beginning, folks! "There will be sarcastic and douchey humor - it will be written from the perspective of a character, not me."

greg99 Apr 1, 2015 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by wp_kid (Post 24603930)
Wow, talk about wound up readers :D

There was a disclaimer at the beginning, folks! "There will be sarcastic and douchey humor - it will be written from the perspective of a character, not me."

So, the question really becomes whether you're writing the report for yourself or your readers.

Either is totally legit.

But, if you're writing it for your readers, you're distracting a number of readers from a good report with your angle.

Even I, who does appreciate "sarcastic and douchey humor" thought some of it was sufficiently over-the-top that it causes the reader to question what parts of the report are real and which are made up.

Edgy is great, but there's a continuum, and this report (more so than your others, which I enjoyed) is pushing more towards the Tucker Max end of the continuum (note to readers - don't google Tucker Max @ work). In general, people looking for trip reports aren't looking for Tucker Max.

Greg

TOMFORD Apr 1, 2015 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by spark787 (Post 24603733)
This guy has the same attitude and language as those "entitled chinese elitists" he mocks..

You do see the intended satire.

Originally Posted by greg99 (Post 24603958)
So, the question really becomes whether you're writing the report for yourself or your readers.

Either is totally legit.

But, if you're writing it for your readers, you're distracting a number of readers from a good report with your angle.

Even I, who does appreciate "sarcastic and douchey humor" thought some of it was sufficiently over-the-top that it causes the reader to question what parts of the report are real and which are made up.

Edgy is great, but there's a continuum, and this report (more so than your others, which I enjoyed) is pushing more towards the Tucker Max end of the continuum (note to readers - don't google Tucker Max @ work). In general, people looking for trip reports aren't looking for Tucker Max.

Greg

I don't know who Tucker Max is, but I'm sure my writing is similar to many others' I do not know and draws influence from a bunch of people.

I'm writing the report for fun. It's not for me because I wouldn't come to flytalk to recollect on my travels. It's an exercise for the right half of the brain.

I will remove my comment on Japanese history since it can be misconstrued. But my bigotted, wealthy, and misinformed alias is staying. The more outlandish my persona the more I protect my anonymity.

Originally Posted by HMPS (Post 24603287)
Your photo from the hotel room in Shanghai takes me back to our trip last year. it was a Marriott Jr suite. had the same view from the right of your window. A bathtub right in front of my window, just kept looking at the Pearl Tower.

Never had the opportunity to stay there, but will check it out next time I'm in SH!

moondog Apr 2, 2015 9:25 am

Originally Posted by corruptcanadian (Post 24603419)

You have some great pictures but I had to stop reading as the crass language and name calling to others continued has put me off. Enjoy your travels.

I agree completely. Awesome tr, but the demeaning prose is seriously off putting; gate agents are just as "human" as the rest of us.

DFW_CK Apr 2, 2015 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 24605709)
I agree completely. Awesome tr, but the demeaning prose is seriously off putting; gate agents are just as "human" as the rest of us.

Whatever guys! Lighten up and if you don't like the writing style don't bother reading and commenting. AGP - awesome trip report and absolutely hilarious point of views. Keep up the good work

m3red Apr 2, 2015 10:27 pm

The comment about earning more in a month than the guy just doing his job in a year is very cringeworthy. The wealthiest people are often the quietest and most understated. Please tone that down and we can enjoy the trip report with all the great photos ^:)

TOMFORD Apr 3, 2015 6:36 am

edited