FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports-177/)
-   -   A Trip To DR Congo & Rwanda (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1665253-trip-dr-congo-rwanda.html)

shefgab Mar 22, 2015 12:50 pm

Excellent report, and was a great memory jogger for my trip to Rwanada. I also went with Amahoro Tours, but saw the Gorillias in Rwanda (when it was $500). It's amazing to see them - amazing creatures. Nice that you got to visit the DRC. I was quoted nearly $300 for a visa, so didn't go. The volcano photos are out of this world!

Thunderroad Mar 22, 2015 1:09 pm

What a fantastic, fascinating TR that kept getting more powerful as you moved from the gorillas to the volcano to the memorial. Thanks for sharing all this.

Back to the gorillas: how far away from them were you when you snapped those incredible photos?

mike&co Mar 22, 2015 1:36 pm

Fabulous report - a break from the standard TR. Stunning pics too, gorillas instead of a luxury hotel, incredible 👍

zanskar Mar 22, 2015 2:19 pm

I really enjoyed this Daniel, can't remember a trip report on DRC before. The lava lake is amazing

MileTex Mar 22, 2015 2:53 pm

Amazing and inspiring TR! Your photos were fantastic.

chelsea2 Mar 22, 2015 3:37 pm

Your reports are truly inspiring and your photos are wonderful. The night by the side of the volcano/lava lake looked so amazing! Thanks for sharing.

themapelligroup Mar 22, 2015 4:11 pm

The volcano and that night sky are magical. Simply magical. Thank you sharing.

jacobac00 Mar 22, 2015 4:40 pm

Amazing pictures DanielW. Thank you for posting another unique report.

cmd320 Mar 22, 2015 4:59 pm

What an amazing and unique report! All the photos were quite nice, however the ones of the lava pool and starry sky on the volcano were truly extraordinary. ^

PitaPan Mar 22, 2015 5:48 pm

Stunning photos and report! Honestly, those shots of the volcano at night, combined with the stars are incredible. Seeing the night sky next to a lava lake is not something I ever pictured together, but now....gotta convince/entice my SO to make the trip.

Fredrik74 Mar 22, 2015 5:50 pm

Fantastic report once again from places most of us would never even consider.

flying_blue_white_red Mar 22, 2015 6:14 pm

Awesome TR, enjoyed every bit of it :)

Stopping for a break on the way to Ruhengeri
Interesting how this town is a compulsory stop for every coaster and safari vehicle

Some delicious fish & yoghurt stew, beans, potatoes and rice for lunch.
Humm, it really looks like peanut sauce... ;)

Virunga is Africa's oldest nation park and is home to nearly a third of the world’s roughly 900 remaining mountain gorillas.
Too bad eventual future oil exploration could threaten the gorilla habitat in the Virunga

There are mountain gorillas in Rwanda (permit fee = $750) and Uganda (permit fee = $600), but they attract many more tourists (up to 80 per day in Rwanda versus only 7 for DRC on my day) and are much less wild
Do you remenber which group of Gorilla you visited?
For the story in Rwanda, back in February, a "drunk" gorilla punched a photographer...

These wooden bikes were quite common in Goma
Indeed and they are called tshukudu.

when the clouds had cleared and got an amazing view of the starry sky over Goma.
Wow beautiful picture being probably my favorite, well done!

Blood spatters and bullet holes were visible on the walls and roof.
When i was there in 2013 i was denied taking photos, glad to see the policy has changed

Many thanks for sharing

benjahman Mar 22, 2015 8:14 pm

amazing TR and photos, thanks for sharing! ^

shogunate03 Mar 22, 2015 8:56 pm

Wow what an amazing report! Just when I thought the gorillas were the peak of the whole trip, I then saw the images at the volcano. Amazing! Really felt like we were there on the trip - you know, minus the mosquitos, swarming ants, and outhouses.

Looks like you had a 400mm lens with you (or some other big prime)?

How did you get the shot of the stars and the town? I'm amazed that the stars came out so well even with the light coming from the town.

cardinalkid1891 Mar 22, 2015 10:54 pm

Great, refreshing trip report