Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines First Class with the dead Cincinnati and Memphis Hubs PBI✈CVG✈MEM✈MIA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Air Lines First Class with the dead Cincinnati and Memphis Hubs PBI✈CVG✈MEM✈MIA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
I was just thinking that I hadn't seen one of your TR's in awhile.

I have to ask though - if you had a non refundable hotel booked, why not stay overnight and take advantage of it?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL Silver, DL Million Miler
I enjoyed your report. Wish I could write this well at age 19. Good job!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
Many thanks! Love all the photos - nice to see the seats and airports because I get bored with food pics sometimes.

Much appreciated!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Ahhhh... CVG.. Two years ago, I was in and out of there every week. Was so relieved once AA moved out of the old terminal 2 and into the re-activated concourse in the main terminal. Much nicer, even if it involved more walking.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by montezume
I was just thinking that I hadn't seen one of your TR's in awhile.

I have to ask though - if you had a non refundable hotel booked, why not stay overnight and take advantage of it?
Are you sure this isn't your first time reading a LPDAL report?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
I've stayed a night on some trips

Tampa International Airport Marriott Hotel - An Album by LPDAL on Flickr

Embassy Suites PWM Jetport - An Album by LPDAL on Flickr

iPhone Sarasota - An Album by LPDAL on Flickr

Jacksonville / Amelia Island , Florida Ritz Carlton Golf Course Resort and Spa - An Album by LPDAL on Flickr

Just a few examples.

-LPDAL / Colby
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:12 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Great report, which brings back a lot of memories of old CVG and MEM connections back in the day. (Mostly CVG, since I was flying more DL than NW by that point.) One big advantage of CVG for me was that the Medallion segment upgrades were good for 800 miles per coupon and BOS-CVG was 752....

Some notes:
- PBI has a SkyClub, but DEN doesn't? Oh well, my last couple trips through DEN didn't involve too much time at the airport so I didn't miss it too much.
- I suspect the chili dog at CVG was from Gold Star Chili (which I like, but I prefer Skyline; unfortunately for me the airport doesn't have Skyline). Was it the place farthest to the right of the food court restaurants?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Originally Posted by CKDGM
Great report, which brings back a lot of memories of old CVG and MEM connections back in the day. (Mostly CVG, since I was flying more DL than NW by that point.) One big advantage of CVG for me was that the Medallion segment upgrades were good for 800 miles per coupon and BOS-CVG was 752....

Some notes:
- PBI has a SkyClub, but DEN doesn't? Oh well, my last couple trips through DEN didn't involve too much time at the airport so I didn't miss it too much.
- I suspect the chili dog at CVG was from Gold Star Chili (which I like, but I prefer Skyline; unfortunately for me the airport doesn't have Skyline). Was it the place farthest to the right of the food court restaurants?
Thanks for your kind words and memories. As for your notes,

- MIA, FLL, PBI, MCO, TPA, and I just found out JAX, have Sky Clubs. The JAX Club is pretty surprising, that has to be the smallest airport I've seen a Sky Club at. Nonetheless, it does look pretty nice.

- Yes, it was! They even steamed the bun and melted the cheese right in font of me, the two I had were heavenly! Thanks for the information.

-LPDAL
Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Great report as always. It was also very interesting and sad to see both Memphis and Cincinnati. You can tell by the size/emptiness of both of them that they were definitely meant for a lot more flights. Heck, CVG has a completely empty terminal! The only airport I could think of that I've been to with similar circumstances is LGA with US Airways's terminal C (Although US Airways is kind of crammed into corners now, the terminal is still bustling due to Delta's use of it and hub status) and MCO's Terminal B airside 3 (Delta still has a decent presence there but it is definitely emptier than when they had their hub status there). It's sad seeing all those Midwestern America airports (MCI, STL, MEM, CLE, CVG) that were once major hubs now become O&D airports due to mergers, bankruptcies, and their geographical locations. It just interests me and saddens me seeing what were once bustling hubs become quiet.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Enjoyed your report, as usual!
Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Enjoyed reading your trip report.

Your enthusiasm for air travel always brings a smile to my face.

Keep enjoying the hobby and hope you have many more fun experiences.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Great report - impressive detail!
Old Feb 20, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
LPDAL:
Not judging or trying to make you feel bad but if you seriously paid $300 for a stay (non-refundable no less) at the DoubleTree CVG airport you clearly aren't leveraging FT and the vast information and resources available here. You certainly are more than welcome to stay where you would like but please understand to many here that seems like a colossally high rate for that property.

At any rate I enjoyed the read. Haven't been through CVG since 2008 before the remote C concourse closed.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by LPDAL
Thanks for your kind words and memories. As for your notes,

- MIA, FLL, PBI, MCO, TPA, and I just found out JAX, have Sky Clubs. The JAX Club is pretty surprising, that has to be the smallest airport I've seen a Sky Club at. Nonetheless, it does look pretty nice.

- Yes, it was! They even steamed the bun and melted the cheese right in font of me, the two I had were heavenly! Thanks for the information.

-LPDAL
Florida has always been very strong for DL. Tons of capacity JAX-ATL, some days they even send 763s (although its a more routine occurrence than in the past)
Old Feb 20, 2015, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
LPDAL:
Not judging or trying to make you feel bad but if you seriously paid $300 for a stay (non-refundable no less) at the DoubleTree CVG airport you clearly aren't leveraging FT and the vast information and resources available here. You certainly are more than welcome to stay where you would like but please understand to many here that seems like a colossally high rate for that property.
I believe, from past discussions, that this poster is not of age to churn credit cards.

Moreover, discussions of what is or is not an appropriate amount of money to pay for something are highly subjective and ultimately tied to the individuals's own conception of value. We have people here who drop $15K for CX/LH/EK F tickets without batting an eyelash.

If money ain't a thang, then that's just how it is.

(However, when visiting CVG I personally prefer to stay at this property using the very reasonable Hhonors redemption rate of 20k/night )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.