FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports-177/)
-   -   TR: JER-HNL with BA and AA by two Senior Citizens (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1645527-tr-jer-hnl-ba-aa-two-senior-citizens.html)

Polomarc Jan 14, 2015 3:32 pm

Thanks again, like the description of the TSA people and that drink looks very tasty.

Did you get any extra treatment for being ex military RAF? Think they look up to that more than here.

CHOPCHOP767 Jan 14, 2015 3:50 pm

Thanks for the fun read; some good laughs too :)

That being said, I couldn't agree more re Pearl Harbor: it's disgraceful that people act like it's some kind of amusement park considering more than 2,000 servicemen were killed in the attacks. I don't know what it is, but of all the war memorials I've visited, Ardennes, Normandy, Nagasaki, and many more; Pearl Harbor was by far the worst experience. It should be a place to reflect, whereas the majority of people just seem to be looking for another main tai.

kered Jan 14, 2015 4:15 pm

Just finished up reading part 4 of the TR, super job ^

Thanks for taking the time to write up & post this "Uncle T" & so soon after you came home too. I can just imagine how whacked you both must be after the long run home from HNL. I'm a couple of decades your junior & I know I'd feel the effect of that journey.

But as I said upthread, I do find a West Coast run home easier to recover from than my usual PHL / IAD runs. Must be a combination of travel time & time zones.

However, the addition of a flight from HNL to LAX thrown into the mix certainly adds to the voyage I would imagine.

Someday I hope to get to HNL, I know "Mrs Kered" has it high up on her wish list. I suspect that it may not be all it's cracked up to be & somewhat expect it to be not too unlike South Beach in MIA, a place full of hype, but failing to deliver, at least IMHO.

That said though, I do want to visit Pearl Harbour & am now at least prepared for a more "Leisure Vibe" to be evident there, than one might expect.

Also, having watched & loved the 80's TV Shows, it's on my bucket list to have my photo taken at the gates of, the now sadly run down, estate used in my favourite show, Magnum PI.

You've also helped allay my concerns somewhat about flying AA. I'm not a great fan of Domestic Air Travel in the U.S. & have always been a little unsure of flying AA, but your experience has certainly eased my fears. That said, a 757 is one aircraft I'm a bit dubious on flying, especially across the dark, empty expanse of the Pacific, so I think the A330 of Hawaiian Airlines, might still win the day. But I would be a bit more open to travelling on AA, since reading your thoughts & experiences with them ^

We have an anniversary trip in the planning stages for early 2016 & I feel that Hawaii, just might feature in there somewhere. So your TR, is both timely & informative :cool:

aceman Jan 14, 2015 5:29 pm

Interesting reading in part 4. Would you consider Hawaii again with a different island, or are you done with the whole thing? Pretty much everyone tells me honolulu is a dump so wasn't considering that as a destination particularly..

Nimrod1965 Jan 14, 2015 6:32 pm

A most enjoyable read, thank you for taking the time to post.

T8191 Jan 15, 2015 2:30 am

Originally Posted by aceman (Post 24168488)
Interesting reading in part 4. Would you consider Hawaii again with a different island, or are you done with the whole thing? Pretty much everyone tells me honolulu is a dump so wasn't considering that as a destination particularly..

"Dump" is too strong a term. It's clean, with wide sidewalks and smart buildings of all kinds. Parks and beach, decent bars and restaurants, traffic not particularly hectic and good public transport. We just found it a bit artificial.

Maui is definitely on the radar for next winter - we might even consider spending Christmas there.

xenole Jan 15, 2015 4:00 am

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767 (Post 24167954)
Thanks for the fun read; some good laughs too :)

That being said, I couldn't agree more re Pearl Harbor: it's disgraceful that people act like it's some kind of amusement park considering more than 2,000 servicemen were killed in the attacks. I don't know what it is, but of all the war memorials I've visited, Ardennes, Normandy, Nagasaki, and many more; Pearl Harbor was by far the worst experience. It should be a place to reflect, whereas the majority of people just seem to be looking for another main tai.

Pearl Harbor doesn't seem like a memorial though. It's aimed at tourists want to see some ships, museums showing missiles, bombs, how we killed each other etc and has plenty of opportunities for taking photos.

I went to Arlington Cemetery the week before and that was a more sombre experience. There seemed to be far more respect there and overall a completely different atmosphere.
One of the soldiers at the The Unknown Soldier part did tell a couple of people talking in the "audience" to be quiet with the majority respecting everything.
At the Kennedy memorial / graveside, there was next to no talking and people stood there in silence.

Calchas Jan 15, 2015 4:21 am

Originally Posted by xenole (Post 24170650)
Pearl Harbor doesn't seem like a memorial though. It's aimed at tourists want to see some ships, museums showing missiles, bombs, how we killed each other etc and has plenty of opportunities for taking photos.

I went to Arlington Cemetery the week before and that was a more sombre experience. There seemed to be far more respect there and overall a completely different atmosphere.
One of the soldiers at the The Unknown Soldier part did tell a couple of people talking in the "audience" to be quiet with the majority respecting everything.
At the Kennedy memorial / graveside, there was next to no talking and people stood there in silence.

I agree.

The actual memorial over the top of the Arizona was appropriately respectful, perhaps not as quiet as British memorials but there we are.

The kind of "memorial park" or garden area doesn't really feel like a place that is intended in its entirety to be for quiet contemplation, although there are quiet corners.

xenole Jan 15, 2015 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 24170694)
I agree.

The actual memorial over the top of the Arizona was appropriately respectful, perhaps not as quiet as British memorials but there we are.

The kind of "memorial park" or garden area doesn't really feel like a place that is intended in its entirety to be for quiet contemplation, although there are quiet corners.

Same as the WTC site in NYC. Pretty much a chargeable tourist attraction.
I just couldn't get a feel for the place as any sort of memorial.
Sure there are pictures, bits of girders etc there, but it's been turned into a money maker more than anything now.

As for Honolulu being a dump, well, it's like a lot of places.
There are the glitzy, overpriced designer shops aimed at tourists and the rich with fancy hotels around and then there are the rundown buildings where locals live, the homeless camping out in the parks, areas you wouldn't want to go to at night etc.

I caught a bus to downtown Orlando once from Disney and it's certainly an eye-opener. Completely different to what tourists see.
Walk out of Downtown Disney and it's the same.

T8191 Jan 15, 2015 4:57 am

Originally Posted by xenole (Post 24170718)
As for Honolulu being a dump, well, it's like a lot of places.
There are the glitzy, overpriced designer shops aimed at tourists and the rich with fancy hotels around and then there are the rundown buildings where locals live, the homeless camping out in the parks, areas you wouldn't want to go to at night etc.

We admired the optimism of a scruffy guy on the main street, sat on a low wall by the sidewalk, holding up a notice saying "Please help, need money for drugs" :(

Betteronacamel Jan 15, 2015 1:15 pm

Excellent Uncle T, many thanks ^

BA5E Jan 16, 2015 1:14 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 24164743)
Life is being good at the moment! Honolulu this month, St Lucia next month! We really want to escape winter as much as possible!!

Sounds a great idea, as one says you cannot take the money with you so just enjoy exploring and seeing new places and doing TR's for us to enjoy also:D^

BA5E Jan 16, 2015 1:26 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 24166742)
Thanks, Ma'am.

Not sure I'd recommend HNL/Waikiki unless I knew the person I was talking to. The Benidorm comparison cited earlier sort of sums it up. Box ticked, from our POV, and we won't be going back there. Other Hawaiian Islands - quite likely.

St Lucia is a new destination for us. We've done Jamaica [I lived there as a kid] but the rationale is where to use a 2-4-1 effectively ... so any BA Caribbean destination that has First :D
Planning for next Winter has Barbados (BGI) firmly in our sights!

We have done St Lucia 3 times and loved it, beautiful island, and well worth doing a organised day trip around the island. We stayed at East Winds, a very small hotel, but the food is excellent, AI and bubbles available from lunchtime onwards, cocktails available all day, together with high end spirits.:D^

BA5E Jan 16, 2015 1:31 am

Originally Posted by xenole (Post 24170650)

Went to IAD many many moons ago, and as you said Arlington as soon as you walk in has that sense of peace, and people respect that, I think being told to be quiet by one of the soldiers at the Unknown Soldier area must be have rather embarrassing, obviously those people had no respect for the dead, and what they did for their country. When we were there, there was a burial service going on, and within quite a large area, you would have been able to hear a pin drop as there was complete silence around. Would definitely like to take another visit sometime.:D^

haasha Jan 17, 2015 5:10 am

Enjoyable report as usual, T8191 ^