Going Back to New Orleans Aboard an Amtrak Train - Plus AA JFK-LAX 321 C

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Going Back to New Orleans Aboard an Amtrak Train - Plus AA JFK-LAX 321 C

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: BA EC Blue, M&M, Flying Blue
Hi CMK10 - Nice report! will you be doing the train again in may? if so which route? Im thinking of popping over the pond for a ride on the rails myself in 2015.

Seasons Greetings from the Lake District UK. :-D
Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:24 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by CMK10
The Brooklyn neighborhood of Canarsie is in this photograph — along with Mill Basin; Gerritsen Beach; what used to be known as Starrett City; and the western end of the parking lot of Jacob Riis Park in the Rockaways in Queens is just southeast of the Marine Parkway Bridge.

Floyd Bennett Field used to be an airport and is easily recognizable by the runways. One of the runways is pointing northeast towards Canarsie. The Belt Parkway is the highway with the curves running along the Brooklyn shore line west and north of Floyd Bennett Field.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BAflyerNCL
Hi CMK10 - Nice report! will you be doing the train again in may? if so which route? Im thinking of popping over the pond for a ride on the rails myself in 2015.

Seasons Greetings from the Lake District UK. :-D
Thank you! I actually might do this one again in May as my Dad and I are considering the Texas Eagle which goes from LA to San Antonio and splits off to go up to Chicago.

Oh and welcome to Flyertalk!

Originally Posted by Canarsie
The Brooklyn neighborhood of Canarsie is in this photograph — along with Mill Basin; Gerritsen Beach; what used to be known as Starrett City; and the western end of the parking lot of Jacob Riis Park in the Rockaways in Queens is just southeast of the Marine Parkway Bridge.

Floyd Bennett Field used to be an airport and is easily recognizable by the runways. One of the runways is pointing northeast towards Canarsie. The Belt Parkway is the highway with the curves running along the Brooklyn shore line west and north of Floyd Bennett Field.
Always nice to have one of our Brooklyn experts explaining the sights! I knew the airport was Floyd Bennett but I didn't know the rest so thanks.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
What a great report! Thank you!

And next time you step off the train here in LFT, just let me know in advance and I'll show up at the station with a thermos of my (in)famous Cajun Bloody Marys.....
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA EC Blue, M&M, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by jlemon

And next time you step off the train here in LFT, just let me know in advance and I'll show up at the station with a thermos of my (in)famous Cajun Bloody Marys.....
CMK10 will enjoy that! Just don't forget to fetch the papers too :-D
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Great report, my parents and I did this trip in January. Actually, while doing research on where to eat, I took my parents to Felix's after reading your Crescent train report.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jlemon

Oh wow, that sounds great! A nice eyeopener for my Dad and I.

Originally Posted by BAflyerNCL
CMK10 will enjoy that! Just don't forget to fetch the papers too :-D
Heh, glad people are catching on to what I like

Originally Posted by seat38a
Great report, my parents and I did this trip in January. Actually, while doing research on where to eat, I took my parents to Felix's after reading your Crescent train report.
Thank you! And wow, love when my posts are informative. Did you/they like it?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Oh wow, that sounds great! A nice eyeopener for my Dad and I.

Heh, glad people are catching on to what I like

Thank you! And wow, love when my posts are informative. Did you/they like it?
Yes my parents loved it a lot. It was my mom's first time having softshell crab or even finding out that such things existed. It was a really good suggestion going to Felix's and not Acme across the street. Pretty much ordered all the same things from the Crescent report. We added on all three types of oysters since all three of us love the stuff.

P1000257 by seat38a, on Flickr
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:15 am
Original Poster

That looks delicious! Glad you didn't show me any oyster pictures though
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
I asked you upthread for your suggestions for my forthcoming trip.

In the end I reread your Crescent report and decided that was going to be the trip for me.

I am taking my sister along and she can hardly contain her excitement.

I am also going to be Eurocheating, as the business class fare from DUB to PHL returning from MSY was £1006. The same trip from LHR priced out at £2800.

We are going to spend a couple of nights in Dublin first, a place I have yet to visit. Its been 22 years since I visited Philly and I have never been to New Orleans.

I cant wait for the end of March to arrive, but first I have a 2 week trip to PHX coming up and my first time Eurocheating.

Thank you for your inspiration.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Sounds like an absolutely excellent trip, if I forgot to give you suggestions I apologize but I'm glad you found my previous report. Have a wonderful trip ^
Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Sounds like an absolutely excellent trip, if I forgot to give you suggestions I apologize but I'm glad you found my previous report. Have a wonderful trip ^
You did give me suggestions, I didn't make myself clear.

In fact with your suggestions and previous reports I had an abundance of riches!

The fact you do the trips with your dad is what made me think about taking my sister.

Thanks again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.