Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Dubai: Air France Business Class Paris - Dubai and 7* cocktails in the Burj Al Arab

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dubai: Air France Business Class Paris - Dubai and 7* cocktails in the Burj Al Arab

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR Platinum, Aer Lingus GC, BA Bronze, Turkish Classic Plus

On a cold and rainy day we decided a fun trip was necessary and that Dubai was the place to go. I'm not sure how we decided on the destination, probably a combination of reasonably priced last minute business class flights and enough sights to keep us busy!

Initially we planned to fly with Emirates on a direct flight from Dublin to Dubai but a EUR 1,500 price hike on each flight when we went to book put paid to that idea. That will teach me to move faster! Luckily Air France came to the rescue with a flight through Paris and we were good to go!

The trip went something like this. Links below are to the full reports on my travel blog, mini reports with pics are below.
1. Air France Lounge CDG - http://www.thewholeworldisaplaygroun...aulle-airport/
2. Air France Paris - Dubai Business Class return - http://www.thewholeworldisaplaygroun...s-dubai-paris/
3. JW Marriott Dubai (Deira) - report below
4. Cocktails at the Burj Al Arab - http://www.thewholeworldisaplaygroun...ails-in-dubai/
5. Air France Lounge DXB - report below
with a lot of fun and sightseeing in between!

So here goes

Last edited by ellie_nz; Jan 14, 2014 at 3:51 pm
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Air France lounge, Terminal 2E, CDG

I used to rock up at the airport at the last minute and rush through to the gate. Then I discovered airport lounges. I think I found my niche!!

The Air France business class lounge in Terminal 2E was a good lounge. Not the best I've ever been in but it was spacious and had a spa, sparkling wine and comfy seats. That's all I really need!

I had an excellent facial in the Clarins spa. It was busy and there is only one treatment room. We had arrived on a connecting flight from Dublin and had about 2.5 hours in the lounge and I just managed to squeeze in an appointment 15 minutes before boarding.

When we arrived there was a continental breakfast with pastries, cheeses and ham. The lunch offering was soup, sandwiches and petit fours. There was a variety of French wines available and the sparkling wine I was partial to the sparkling wine I sampled!

Report with additional images: http://www.thewholeworldisaplaygroun...aulle-airport/

Food (lunch):

Drinks:

Our flight was ready to depart and after a short walk to the gate it was time to check out the Air France business class product...
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Air France Business Class: Paris - Dubai - Paris

After a short walk to the gate we boarded quickly. The business class cabin had 67 seats in a 2-3-2 configuration. We opted for the middle seats as there was 3 of us travelling together.

Business Class Cabin:

The seats were the old style product with an angled bed. It was comfortable when upright. I didn't mind the slightly angled bed, sometimes I get the feeling I'm slipping down but it seemed OK on Air France.

Seat:

The food was better on the way out to Dubai although not exceptional. On our late night flight on the way home there was a light meal and I ordered for the vegetarian option. It wasn't great! Their cheese plates were nice.

Main course:

The champagne was a Deutz Brut Classic and was very good, definitely in line with other business class offerings. I would have preferred a flute both in the lounge and on the plane rather than the glass. Heineken was the only beer available.

Welcome drinks:

Overall, it was good and it's always nice to sit up front but if I was flying Dublin - Dubai again I'd always choose Emirates or Etihad unless Air France was significantly cheaper. I've flown Etihad from Dublin to Abu Dhabi before (FT trip report here) and found their business class product way ahead of Air France and they provide a car to anywhere in the Emirates with a business class ticket. Maybe this is an unfair comparison due to the flight distance though?

Report with additional pics: http://www.thewholeworldisaplaygroun...s-dubai-paris/

I did sneak a peak at the La Première seat when I was boarding and it looked fantastic!
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Burj Al Arab

Time for some bling! I'll come back to the Dubai hotel, haven't had the chance to sort out the images.

I knew I wanted to go to the Burj Al Arab as soon as we'd booked our flights, who doesn't want some 7* action?! Obviously the 7* are a myth but I still wanted to check out one of the most luxurious hotels in the world.

Unfortunately there's no way in without splashing some cash. We reckoned the cheapest way was breakfast (too early to have fun and not in the Skyview Bar at the top), afternoon tea (USD 110 each, I'm not sure I value afternoon tea quite as much as that!) and evening cocktails (minimum spend $70, no problem for cocktail lovers!). So cocktails it was!

The hotel is literally dripping in gold. The lobby is spectacular and it is a fabulous place to have a wander around. The Skyview bar was interesting, it reminded me of an Austin Powers movie! We were lucky enough to get a window seat and the views were stunning as the sun set.

The cocktails were good and the wine was delicious. The service was a bit patchy and it did take us a while to get orders taken. The thing that bugged me was that they didn't tell us we hadn't reached the minimum spend when we first requested the bill, they just charged us the minimum spend (there was enough left for a glass of wine, better I have it than wasted!).

It was a great evening and the hotel is incredible but I imagine that the true luxury experience is saved for the hotel guests.

Full report with pics: http://www.thewholeworldisaplaygroun...ails-in-dubai/

Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Nice! I agree with the 'saving time for lounges' bit rather than getting there at the last minute - it's way more relaxing, and why not have a drink or two (or three) before you get on a big metal tube?!
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by ellie_nz
It was a great evening and the hotel is incredible but I imagine that the true luxury experience is saved for the hotel guests.
To be honest, the luxury experience for guests is a Little bit dimmed by all the external gusts. One Problem of Burj is, that the Restaurants Charge "entrance fees" for the Sightseeing. It´s not so funny if you stay there and have to pay additional the entrance fees. But I agree, guests are handeled different in the Restaurants. We visited Sky Bar the first time and got first an awful table. When they mentioned that we are Hotel guests, we got another one..... Must I say more????
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigEyedFish
Nice! I agree with the 'saving time for lounges' bit rather than getting there at the last minute - it's way more relaxing, and why not have a drink or two (or three) before you get on a big metal tube?!
A few glasses of bubbly and a facial - not a bad start to the big metal tube journey!

Originally Posted by offerendum
To be honest, the luxury experience for guests is a Little bit dimmed by all the external gusts. One Problem of Burj is, that the Restaurants Charge "entrance fees" for the Sightseeing. It´s not so funny if you stay there and have to pay additional the entrance fees. But I agree, guests are handeled different in the Restaurants. We visited Sky Bar the first time and got first an awful table. When they mentioned that we are Hotel guests, we got another one..... Must I say more????
Wow, I can't believe they make the guests pay entrance fees I assumed guests were exempt from the minimum spends etc.. Is it really in another league? Did you write a trip report? Would love to read!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Wow, I can't believe they make the guests pay entrance fees I assumed guests were exempt from the minimum spends etc.. Is it really in another league? Did you write a trip report? Would love to read!
No, they don´t Claim the Minimum spend from guests. But the Prices are so high, that tehy include an entrance fee

I wrote a Report, you find it here
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
No, they don´t Claim the Minimum spend from guests. But the Prices are so high, that tehy include an entrance fee

I wrote a Report, you find it here
Great, thanks! I didn't know they bussed in the tourists, seems a bit out of character for an exclusive hotel. Stunning view from your room.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Stunning view from your room.
Yes, it was nice
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:21 am
Original Poster

JW Marriott (Deira)

We usually stay at a Marriott so this was no exception! We opted for the JW Deira. i prefer smaller hotels and the JW was priced well. We had a car rental so we weren't overly bothered about location.

Arrival: We checked in at the exec lounge. We had booked two doubles and were 'upgraded' to an exec king. We checked out the room, just out of interest (we needed the two doubles) and it was identical. Got to love these upgrades!

Facilities: I liked the hotel. The room was spacious and nicely equipped. The leisure faiclities were good - 2 separate gym areas and a rooftop swimming pool. There were lots of restaurants and a weekend buffet. Our favourite was the Hofbrauhaus, it was really good fun and the food and drinks were excellent.

Exec lounge: I thought the exec lounge was good. This wasn't the consensus on the Marriott forum but I've been in a good few Marriott lounges in Asia/Middle East and, while it wasn't exceptional (as in JW Bangkok exceptional), it held its own in terms of the offerings.

There was a good selection at breakfast and in the evenings and a nice afternoon tea with sandwiches and cakes. The full bar was excellent and there was a wide variety of drinks. Any lounge that serves bubbly and sushi even once is a winner with me! That said, i t is dark and gets overcrowded in the middle of the evening food/drinks.

Some pics:

Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Air France Dubai lounge

A quick one to finish off with some pics of the Air France lounge in Dubai.

Air France have their own lounge. It's quite small with bucket seats and some canteen style seating. There was a nice selection of food including hot options.

Nothing really of note in the lounge, pics show it all!

Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:26 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
If you stay in the jumeirah's sister properties, the club level congierge can arrange for a visit to burj al arab free of charge. I stayed before at Jumeriah Al Qasr and the congierge was able to book us a buggy and a tour free of charge. The downside is that they allocate time slots for your visit, if i remember it was after breakfast and after lunch only. Although nice to see the famous icon from the inside i found the burj a bit to sheltered away.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 3:27 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Shame about the service. Ive read that the service in Dubai is not up to standards elsewhere like in Asia.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:44 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by GodAtum
Shame about the service. Ive read that the service in Dubai is not up to standards elsewhere like in Asia.
Service defo. isn’t that good in Dubai - too many transient employees for service consistence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.