Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Bernina & Glacier Express: Pre-Christmas adventure to the “WINTER WONDERswitzLAND

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bernina & Glacier Express: Pre-Christmas adventure to the “WINTER WONDERswitzLAND

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Bernina & Glacier Express: Pre-Christmas adventure to the “WINTER WONDERswitzerLAND

Part 1: Preface:

This report consists of 11 parts, and it will primarily focus on train travel experiences in Switzerland in general and the legandary Glacier and Bernina Expresses in particular. Only small touches will be given to describing the flights and airport lounges. I hope that I didn’t disappoint you. If so, sorry. At least you know it before diving in much further. As usual, Combining text and photos, this trip report unfolds. I like to use pictures. After all, 1 picture equals 1,000 words.

This was a last minute trip. In early December 2012, I noticed both Mrs and I needed to top up our AA accounts in order to maintain AA EXP status EQM-based). We have been thinking about going to Switzerland for sometime, but were unable to schedule it in. This round trip (SFO-ZRH, with a connection in JFK, all on AA of course) will more than suffice to meet the required 100,000 miles for EXP.

Booking flight tickets
We booked in economy and with ZERO SWU left, ouch!!! I knew it was going to be painful. Not so much in enduring the flights in coach exit row & MCE, but the complaint from the Mrs. Ai-ya-ya !!

The simple flight itinerary was to be completed all in 10 days, a week before Christmas. When I put the itierary on HOLD, the fare was priced at $1,100 each, return. When I pulled the trigger a day later, it showed $934. See, there is Santa Claus! Merry Christmas AA!

Flight map: sfo-jfk-zrh-jfk-sfo

The Swiss trains fascinate me. I did a little bit of it whenever I was in Switzerland. Certainly not enough to wet my appetite. We would love to do the legandary slow trains this time, namely the Glacier Express and the Bernina Express. Note the contraction in terms (slow trains yet being named as Express). Before the trip, I had been checking the weather report. Wished the Swiss countryside to be balanketed with a fresh layer of snow, I so wished!

Booking hotels
After air tickets were booked and paid for. It’s time to find hotels. Before reserving the hotels, I must decide where to stay and for how many days. Interlaken, Wengen, and Lauterbrunnen first came to mind. I’ve been there in the summer. Gorgeous towns but very touristy. Want some place that I have not yet been to. Didn’t take too long before I decided to pick Chur (sound like “core”) for 3 nights. Chur will be the base to do the Glacier and Bernina Expresses. I’ve never been to Chur. It claims to be the OLDEST town in Switzerland. That fact is no reason for me to pick it. Its location, however, would help save time while trying to experience both the Glacier and the Bernina in 2 consecutive days. It is located on the path of the GE and the starting point of the BE. In retrospect, this “brilliant” move worked out really well.

So the hotels were booked: 3 nights in Chur (the Post Hotel); 3 nights in the Renaissance Luzern; and 1 night in the Courtyard by Marriott Zurich North. The choice of the Marriott properties was a no brainer, as I needed 1 more stay to score 100% of the 2012 Megabonus promotion (3 eCerts for cat 1-4). Thus, this trip kills 2 birds with one stone! (maintaining AA EXP while getting 1 more eCert from Marriott).

Booking the trains
The next task is to find out which of the “train passes” will work for us. From what I was able to read online, I was totally confused. Fast forward, without any comparison, I decided on the “Swiss Half Fare” card.

Days 1 & 2 - SFO-JFK
AA18
This was a red eye (pusposely chosen for long connect time in JFK next day). Mrs and I were #1 and 2 on the UG list. At the end, no dice! Full flight.
Arrived JFK next morning before sun rise. Hung out in the AA Flagship Lounge to catch up on some sleep, check email and some year-end work. A hot shower and some hot food (soup & pasta) were in order. Since we were here practically all day, we had breakfast and lunch in the lounge. For the most part, the FL was very quiet all day.

JFK AA-Flagship Lounge

JFK AA-Flagship Lounge

JFK AA-Flagship Lounge

JFK AA-Flagship Lounge

JFK-ZRH
AA64
My first time in a MCE seats (11A & B). The MCE cabin has 3 rows. We loved it. There was plenty of leg room. I’d say I prefer it to the exit row in the back any day. I was impressed that the FA on this flight actually came over and said hello and handed us 2 amenity kits! (got the red one, not the new black colored one) This sharp FA recognized us as EXP! This was a FIRST, and hope not the last.

AA MCE row 11 A&B

AA MCE row 11, looking from 11A

Day 3 - Arrived ZRH early morning next day. Since we got a few hours of sleep in flight. So we were somewhat refreshed at arrival. Customs formality was quick. Outside in the arrival hall, I first exchanged CHF 300 old money (from my prior business trip, a while back) into new bills at Credit Swiss. Picked up some maps at the tourist office (next to the bank). Headed downstairs to the train station to buy train tickets.

Armed with “Swiss Half Fare” cards and the Glacier Express, Bernina Express and other train trips booked, its time to catch a quick breakfast (cuppacino and croissant) before the 09:47 train from Zurich Flughafen to Chur. Total journey would take 1h35m.

At the bottom level of the ZRH airport is the Zurich Flughafen train station. We hopped onto an IR (InterRegio) train. A few minutes (maybe 4 to 5) later we were at the Zurich HB where we changed train to an IC (InterCity). Here at the Zurich HB, the IR arrived at Platform 3 and the next IC departed from Platform 4. How easy is that! It’s all planned, of course!

ZRH Flughafen

ZRH Flughafen

Zurich HB

Zurich HB: our car, second class

I love photography, and consider myself an enthusiast. As such, I plan to shoot lots of pictures from the moving trains. Photographers face a whole different set of challenges when shooting from a train: unpredictable lateral & vertical movements; dirty windows; glares from overhead lights; glares from windows and from snow (as was on this occasion); and unforeseen and unwanted objects etc…Have you ever had telephone posts or trees thrown at your lens and stick them right in the middle of the frame? I have. Look

A tree in the middle of the frame

A tree and a house in the middle of the frame

Well, I hope I have better luck (more like shutter timing) from here on. Actually, in addition to having “luck” to help, I shot in multiple exposures.

Zurich-Chur: Scene along the track

Chur

Prior to our arrival at ZRH airport, it had snowed all over Switzerland. I prayed for a “Winter Wonderland” and I got it! It wouldn’t be a winter wondnerland without the lovely white stuff.

Here we were, the train pulled into the Chur main station. Our hotel was a short 8-minute walk from the station. Despite the cold temperature, the walk was rather uneventful, albeit some snow on the sidewalk. Chur was quite deserted at this hour of morning.

Check-in was quick. After dropping off the luggage in our 4th floor room in Hotel Post (or PostHotel), we couldn’t wait to get out and get some lunch and see the town. The room is large (and I mean it by American standard), clean and has a view of the roof tops and some mountains. The bathroom is brand new (renovated recently) and up to good standard! The bed is too soft for my taste (I like a firm bed, ala Marriott and Starwood). In-room internet was free, and so was breakfast. The staff was quite friendly and helpful. She gave us 2 internet log-on numbers to take care of a laptop & an iPad. She speaks 4 languages (normally German, French, Italian and Rumantsch), plus English when the guest is an English speaker. Wow! And I had such a hard time with just managing English.

Chur: Post hotel

Chur: Menu of the day includes salat

Chur: Menu of the day includes kalbsleberli (calf liver)

The Mrs. Was very impressed with the taste and tenderness of the liver. The “rosti” (home fried potatoe) was superb also!

Chur: Menu of the day includes schweinsschnitsel & reis (pork cutlet with rice)

Chur: Followed by a cuppacino

My pork cutlet was equally appreciated. This first formal swiss meal was rated by us: as pretty darn good, albeit a bit expensive. What isn’t expensive in Switzerland?

In the Café Fontana, the waitress did not speak any English. The café did not accept credit card. Good thing I came prepared, and had plenty of cash on hand in anticipation of situationlike this.

Up next: Part 2

Last edited by allset2travel; Jan 12, 2013 at 3:53 pm Reason: edit title
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Part 2: Chur and the Glacier Express

After a satisfying meal, we strolled around the Old Town. The outside temperature was below freezing and somewhat cloudy. The wind chilled temperature must be –7C, but felt colder. We came prepared, and bundled up for the occasion. The walk led us pass by the Christmas tree “farm” in city hall; a few cafes and restaurants; a church and a museum. Chur sits on the Plessur River. The river added some extra charm to this fine small town! Dotted with churches, snow-capped mountains on all sides and some colorful houses. I was glad that I picked Chur as home base for the next 3 days.

More on Chur
Chur (Fr. Coire, Romansh Cuera).
Chur is the seat of the bishops of Chur and capital of the Swiss canton of Graubünden. It is a transportation hub near the Rhine Valley. As it turned out, it was not only convenient for our sake (transportation wise), but it is a pretty town in its own right.

This is Chur

This is Chur

This is Chur, from our room

This is Chur

This is Chur

This is Chur

This is Chur

This is Chur

The normally short winter seemed even shorter when the valley was shadowed by the mountains even on a sunny day (today was not one). We felt cold and looked for shelter in a restaurant and enjoyed an early dinner. We needed some rest tonight in preparation for tomorrow’s very early start on the Glacier Express. Remember, tonight is the first night we sleep in a bed since leaving home.

Day 4 – Glacier Express (and return).
Here is a description of GE that I found on it’s web site:
“A train to fall in love with
The Glacier Express is the most famous railway in the world. It travels from Zermatt to Davos or St. Moritz in around seven hours. It is a day trip through untouched mountain landscapes, glamorous health resorts, deep gorges, delightful valleys, 91 tunnels and across 291 impressive bridges”

What an understatement that is.

The hotel breakfast room normally opened at 06:30. The hotel staff (she knew from previous day conversation) was kind enough to open breakfast 10 minuutes early so that we won’t miss our breakfast before the train. How great is that for service! Actually, I had the fortune of being the receiver of similar 5-star service a few times over the years. For example, in a Chinatown boutique hotel in Singapore where I was on a business trip, the kitchen staff delivered a complete hot breakfast at 4:30am, so that I won’t miss breakfast before catching my 6am flight. Sorry, I digress! We quickly finished our simple breakfast of bread, cheese, ham, hard-boiled eggs, coffee and juice, and out the door we ran for the station.

Simple breakfast in hotel

We boarded the Glacier Express from Chur at the crack of dawn (06:56). The air was so crisp that we could see our own breath. From Chur to Zermatt, the journey time was 6h17m (7.5 hours from St. Moritz).

The first train was a RE (Regional Express) train, from Chur to Disentis/Muster.
The next train was a R (Regionalzug) train, equipped with bicycle racks, from Disentis/Muster to Andermatt.
The third train was also R, from Andermatt to Zermatt. At first we thought we had to make another change at Visp, but happy to know that it was not necessary. By the time we arrived Zermatt, it was 13:13..

Glacier Express

Glacier Express: the route map

Glacier Express: the elevation map

Dated back in 1930, the Glacier Express was operated by three railway companies: the Brig–Visp–Zermatt Bahn (BVZ), the Furka Oberalp Bahn (FO), and the Rhatische Bahn (RhB). Due to a merger between the BVZ and the FO (combined company named MGB), the train has been operated by RhB and MGB since 2003.
Oberalp Pass is the highest point of the line at 2,033 m (6,670 ft) in altitude (see elevation map). The pass lies between Disentis/Muster and Andermatt. The scenery along this pass is spectacular, dotted with dreamy villages covered in snow and majestic mountains. The train pulled slowly on the ascent. The entire line is narrow gauge, and portions of it use a rack-and-pinion system for ascending and descending steep grades. When running on the grades, it twists and turns, zig-zigging back and forth like a snake.
This week is the transiting week between tourist low season to high season, according one conductor. Next week being Christmas and New Year holidays, tourist and skiers will swarm all resorts. The trains will be crowded. But as of now, there were only a handful of passengers on board the GE. We roamed around from car to car and had a great time in doing so.

The snow blanketed scenery along the way was fabulous. The following photos do not do justice

Glacier Express: 2nd class car all by ourselves

Glacier Express: “WINTER WONDERswitzerLAND”

Glacier Express: “WINTER WONDERswitzerLAND”. At Oberalppass

A long trip means lot more photo-ops. Due to photo capacity limitaion of FT, I will continue the story of the Glacier Express in Part 3.

Up next: Part 3.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Part 3 – Glacier Express (and return) continued

The train company web site indicates that reservation is manditory, (cost for this service is CHF 13 in the winter; CHF 33 in summer). During high season (like summer & next week), I would take the time to make the reservation. As of now, we did not make any reservation and did not encounter any problem. On every train though, there was always a conductor who came by to check tickets.

From Visp to Zermatt, the train slowly climbed along the narrowing valley that soon turns into a cliff.. Often the train would cross over a bridge or viaduct only to come back to the same side again.

I will let the photos do the talking.

Glacier Express: “WINTER WONDERswitzerLAND”. Challenge of glare & reflection

Glacier Express: “WINTER WONDERswitzerLAND”. At Andermatt

Glacier Express: “WINTER WONDERswitzerLAND”. At Andermatt

Glacier Express: in a “panorama” car. More glares here.

Glacier Express: “WINTER WONDERswitzerLAND”. Somehow bad colored pic can turn into ok b/w

More of same

Glacier Express: “WINTER WONDERswitzerLAND”.

Glacier Express: “WINTER WONDERswitzerLAND”. At Brig

Glacier Exp ends at Zermatt

Up next: Part 4
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Part 4: Zermatt

Zermatt – This high profile ski and summer resort (along with Davos and St. Moritz) was not busy today. Another Glacier Express train conductor assured us by next week it would be super busy as vacationers come in for Christmas and New Year. We strolled the entire length of the town. Bigger than life was the Matterhorn (4478m or 14692 ft), basking in bright sunlight. So happy to be able to see this big rock.

Zermatt: near the train station

Zermatt with Matterhorn

Zermatt

Zermatt

Zermatt

Zermatt

Zermatt

Zermatt

Zermatt

Zermatt

Zermatt

Zermatt

Zermatt

Zermatt

It was such a gorgeous day in Zermatt. Time flew by quickly and suddenly we realized that we needed to be catching the train home, but not until we had some high-end dining at McDonald’s.

For the return journey, we wanted shorter travel time (still required 4h39m) and went with:
Zermatt-Visp
Visp-Bern
Bern-Zurcih HB
Zurich HB-Chur

Soon after we left Visp, we travelled pretty much in total darkness. At Bern, lots of office workers came on board to Zurich. For whatever reason, there was a long delay somewhere outside of Bern. By the time we got back to Chur main station, it was almost 22:00. A long day but it was a fun filled one at that!

Tonight, we went through the usual routine of online checking emails and weather. We looked forward to the Bernina Express experience tomorrow

Next up: Part 5
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Part 5: Bernina Express from Chur to St. Moritz to Tirano and back

Day 5 – Bernina Express

This is a description that I found on the www rhb ch web site (copied & pasted here):
“Experience one of the most spectacular ways to cross the Alps: The Albula and Bernina lines connect northern and southern Europe. A high-point of the ride is the panoramic view from the Bernina Express, as it passes mighty glaciers on its descent to a land of swaying palms.
The most beautiful experience of the Alps: From the high towering glaciers of the mountains down to the swaying palms of Italy, the highest mountain railway in the Alps provides a link between northern and southern Europe. It does so in the most wonderful way imaginable, on a railway line that coexists in perfect harmony with its glorious mountain setting. The train makes short work of the 55 Tunnels, 196 bridges and slopes of up to 70 millimetres per metre of incline that are found along its route. The physical high-point of the RhB is Ospizio Bernina, at 2,253 metres above sea level. The wonders of nature and the cultural achievements of man merge into one of the best ways ever to experience the Alps. The section between Thusis and Tirano has been classed as a UNESCO World Heritage site. A milestone in our history.”

Note: The swaying palms are reserved for the summer months only. We did not have the previlege to see Lugano on this trip.

Today we made another early start, with a breif stop (about 45 minutes) in St Moritz where we walked around a bit there. On the way, the scenery (between Filisur and Samedan) totally blew me away.

Bernina Express: Route map

Bernina Express: Elevation map

Bernina Express: 2nd class car

Bernina Express: Scenery along the way

We jumped off the train in St. Moritz. While inside the station, we bought a supplement to our ticket for the return trip (4 CHF). We wanted a quicker route since traveling at night we would not see much scenery anyway.

Walked around near the station a little, and soon got back on the Bernina Express. We needed to stop at Pontresina, (which was the next station from St. Moritz) where a longer train would subsequently be attached to our car(s) . From there, it would be just one train straight to Tirano, Italy. Note that in the winter, Tirano is the final stop. There is no bus running from Tirano to Lugano. So we would end the outbound in Tirano, no “swaying palms” afterall.

Bernina Express: At St. Moritz

Bernina Express: St. Moritz

Bernina Express: This is our train

Bernina Express: a lone cross country skier

More Bernina Express in Part 6.

Next up: Part 6
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Part 6: Bernina Express continued

This train, like the Glacier Express, was practically empty. We could roam from car to car, looking for a clean window to shoot pictures from. The glare (as you can see it on so many photos) was killing all the shots. Finally, we opened the window and stuck our cameras out for a few clean shots. Due to the freezing temperature, and sometime the blowing snow kicked up by the locomotive (particularly on the Glacier), we had to shut the window.

If you had time to do only 1 train, do the Bernina, and leave the Glacier for your next trip.

Bernina Express: a lone cross country skier

Bernina Express: Scenery along the way. At Alp Grum

Bernina Express: A snow plow on track

Bernina Express: After pax got off at Alp Grum, empty cabin again!

Bernina Express: Scenery along the way. Poschiavo

Bernina Express: Panorama car

Bernina Express: Scenery along the way. Lago Pochiavo

Bernina Express: Scenery along the way, Lago Pochiavo

Up next: Part 7
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Part 7: Bernina Express. Lago Pochiavo & Brusio Circular Viaduct

The circular viaduct in Brusio is everything as advertised. In the winter, there was not much green around it, but it sure was fun to ride it in 360. In fact, this section of the line is a spiral in shape, allowing the line to double back and pass through under the fourth of the nine arches of its own viaduct. It is a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Bernina Express: Scenery along the way. Reflection Lago Pochiavo

Bernina Express: Scenery along the way. Brusio Circular Viaduct

Bernina Express: Scenery along the way. Looking at the tail

Bernina Express: Brusio Circular Viaduct, completing 360

Bernina Express: Scenery along the way.

We didn’t expect much in Tirano. We had enough time to walk to the old town under cloudy skies. We went by the St. Martino Church square, and enjoyed a good lunch there.
We returned to the train station, in time for our return trip back to Chur.

Bernina Express: End of (winter) line at Tirano, Italy

Bernina Express: Tirano station

Bernina Express: Tirano, Italy

Bernina Express: Tirano, St Martino

Bernina Express: Tirano, late lunch at Trattoria Gagin

Bernina Express: Beef steak that looks like a fish

Bernina Express: Pasta

The return trip began late afternoon. Most of the journey was in the dark. We did take a different path (mentioned getting a supplement to the ticket) beginning at Pontresina. From there, we changed train and headed toward Sagliains, Klosters, Languart and then Chur. This is longer in distance, but we gain in travel time. We wished we could have done this during daylight.

Finally returned to the warmth of the hotel room. This night, we went online and checked emails and weather etc, a shower and then packed for tomorrow when we move on to Luzern for 3 nights. Looked like we have to scrub the Luzern-to-Jungfraujoch trip plan on account of bad weather (freezing rain and cloudiness enough to kill the deal). I would really like to see the Jungfraujoch in bright sunlight and plenty of snow! But that’s was not to be.

Next up: Part 8
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Part 8: Luzern and no Jungfraujoch

Day 6 - Chur-Luzern; by train, one way.
The train trip took about 2 hours, with one change of train at Thalwil. The sun was out bright and early. There were more passengers on this route than either the GE or BE.

The Chur main station

Our train is approaching Chur station

Chur-Luzern: Scenery along the way

Chur-Luzern: Here we are at the Luzern main train station

In 2 hours, we now arrived at the Luzern HB.
Oh yes, a bit about our hotel, the Renaissance Luzern. Location, location, location. The hotel is only 4 minutes from the train staion (out of the left door). As a life platimum member, we were being treated well. Early checkin and with an upgrade to the top floor with a view of Pilatu (actually a suite was offered but won’t be avaialble until 2 hours later, so we declined it). The elite welcome gift includes a bottle of Merlot and a bag of mixed nuts. I was surpised for having no bottled water in the room (reason per staff, “we have very healthy water from the mountains”). In room coffee/tea maker. Small frig. Room is typical of Marriott standard in terms of the bed and amenities. Note that this is an old building (with character), and therefore has some inherent physical (size) issues: room is not small, but irregularly shaped. For example: there is a pillar next to the bed; the sloping roof makes it necessary to mind your head when going to the lav, particularly at night. No bath tub, just a good shower. The lobby is the SMALLEST in any Marriott properties worldwide (all those that I visited). Needless to say, so are the restaurants. Now the good stuff: the staff was friendly and always wore a big smile. They were helpful with restaurant recommendation and where to shop etc. Liked the 3 balconies. All in all, had a good stay. The comp’d breakfast was adequate, not elaborate. This hotel seemed to have several tour groups that stayed here. Hope you didn’t run into them at breakfast!

All major sights in Luzern is within walking distance from the hotel.

Renaissance Luzern: 1 of 3 balconies

Renaissance Luzern: view of Pilatus

Renaissance Luzern: view of rooftops & Pilatus

Renaissance Luzern: welcome gift

Renaissance Luzern

Renaissance Luzern

Renaissance Luzern

Renaissance Luzern

Renaissance Luzern

Next up: Part 9
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Part 9: Luzern and no Jungfraujoch

We had Jungfraujoch in our plan, as a day trip from Luzern. Thanks to the weatherman who promised freezing rain and cloudiness, we had to dropped it reluctantly. What do you do with 3 full days in Luzern on your second visit? Since we had done Pilatus, Titlis and the lake cruise, so we decided to stay put. Luzern is a very walkable city (The old wall is closed for the winter, unfortunately), so we shall do a lot of walking through Old Town, the Christmas markets, both the outdoor and indoor (downstairs in main train station). Both were disappointments. We didn’t expect them would be like Nuremberg or Prague, but still….. The Christmas trees sellers were having good business. They were all lined along the edge of the lake. Saw many carry their trees home (on shoulders by 2 people). However, we enjoyed some good apple strudels and chocolat. Did not do any Swiss watch shopping. Most of all, we had a relaxing time to reflect what sort of trips we plan to take next year (2013).

Evening walk in the Old Town was interesting. Christmas decorations on the streets and shopper doing their gift shopping. Quite lively.

The best walk was along the river toward the castle. We were blessed with sunshine when we did that.

Luzern: and its iconic Kapellbrucke

Luzern: Swiss watch

Luzern: Kapellbrucke

Luzern

Luzern

Luzern

Luzern

Luzern

Luzern

Luzern

Luzern

Luzern

Luzern

Luzern

Luzern

Luzern

Luzern

Next up: Part 10
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Part 10: Zurich

Day 9 – Luzern-Zurich, by train.
3 days flew by quickly. Early morning after breakfast, we headed toward the train station. The train ride took about 1 hour from Luzern main station to Zurich-Oerlikon station (where our next hotel Courtyard by Marriott is located. A long 5 minute away).

It rained hard this morning, as we approached Zurich.
On arrival at the Zurich-Oerlikon station, we pulled out our umbrellas, pulled up the hoodsof our jackets and braved the element to our hotel.
At the CY, check-in was quick and early check-in was no issue. Picked up the elite welcome gift in the “market” and went up to our top-floor room.

Breakfast at Renaissance Luzern

Luzern Train Station

Courtyard Zurich North

Courtyard Zurich North

Courtyard Zurich North

Courtyard Zurich North

Courtyard Zurich North

After dropping off the luggage, we went to the train station and bought a day pass. From Zurich-Oerlikon to Zurich HB, it took but 5 minutes. See my reasons to stay at the CY, rather than over-priced Marriott downtown Zurich? Even the CY rate was close to US$200/night, all in.

From the main station, we checked out some shops along Bahnhofstrasse and took some tram rides around the city. Just so we got a sense of orientaion. Next we walked on both banks of the river to see the old town. Didn’t have the greatest of weather, being cloudy and light rain from time to time. It was not quite as cold as in Chur.

Zurich: at the Christmas market inside train station

Zurich: the Gross Munster church

Zurich: snack at Pic Nic on Bahnhofstrasse

Zurich: Bahnhofstrasse

Zurich: old town riverfront

Zurich: old town riverfront

Zurich: the Fraumunster

The Christkindlmarkte was held inside the main train station (there must be others around town, but did not check). Quite crowded in the evening hours. The center of focus was the huge Swarovski Christmas tree. Did not get to see/hear it, but thought the “singing Christmas tree” was pretty cool (with kids doing the singing, so I was informed).

Next up: Part 11
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Part 11: Flying Home

Day 10 – Return home: ZRH-JFK-SFO
Time flies when you are having fun. After a good breakfast in the CY, we headed out to the train station for ZRH in heavy rain (I knew there was a reason to leave). Breakfast was comp’d by the hotel. Slightly above average European fare with smoked salmon and good service. I was quite happy with the room which was large and well appointed meeting CY standard (perhaps better than most US CY properties). Hotel staff was friendly and helpful.

It took 4 minutes from Oerlikon to Flughafen by train. How convenient is that! The morning train was quite crowded as it was commuter-hour.

Nothing unusual to report at the airport. AA check-in, passport control and security was a breeze. The Dnata lounge was smallish but very quiet while we were there. It offered a small selection of snacks and drinks. A few computer stations for those who need them. All and all, nothing much to write home about, but yet it sure beats sitting at the gate.

ZRH: Dnata Lounge

ZRH: Too much second hand smoke makes the camel’s head turn blue

ZRH: On way to the gate

ZRH: AA service desk

ZRH: AA waiting at the gate

ZRH: DL from my window

Up in the air: Zurich after take-off

AA meal service in economy. Food was good!

AA meal service in economy. Food was good!

At JFK: saw the DL big bird upon landing/taxing

Arrived JFK on time. We went through the usual immigration/passport control/claim-bag/re-deposit-bag routine. After all that, we still had some free time to drop by the Flagship Lounge.

Later, while at the gate waiting for our AA85 (JFK-SFO), only 1 UG was avaialble. I was #1 on the list. Offered it to Mrs. To my surprise, she gave it to me! That made me feel real bad (or was it good?). Flight was full! I got a tough (over cooked) beef steak again. Third time this year! Next time, I’ll go with pasta, or anything but steak. All and all, I was happy for not being stuck in the back for 5+ hours.

Menu of the day:

This is the end of my report. Thanks for reading. Happy New Year and happy travel to all !!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 4:12 pm

I enjoyed your report and photos. But, I have to admit that I found your "watermark" on each photo irritating. It really distracted from the photos.

Last edited by halfcape; Jan 13, 2013 at 9:12 am
Old Jan 12, 2013, 6:39 pm

Thanks for the great pictures.

It seems one has to take these Swiss train trips once in the winter and once in the summer.

I flew AA Y from London to New York and noticed that the nice 32" legroom is now at 31" because they added Premium Y.

Already their Y service was borderline OK and this was their only +++++.

What I can't stand are the cookies for desert and the great Pizza they used to serve as a snack has been replaced by a mediocre one that tends to stick on the paper.

Awards on BA and Iberia are also absurdly expensive. I paid $175 for a one way on Iberia compared to $70 on UA awards.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Great trip report, wonderful photos. I had forgotten just how beautiful Suisse is, although I have never been there in winter and it looked really cold.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:50 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExP
Love the pictures. Thanks for sharing your trip report

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.