Wiki Posts
Search

SQ 748 - Singapore Airlines Boeing 747 Commemorative Farewell Flight

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, CX MPC SL, ANA Mileage Club, UA Mileage Plus, Qantas FF
SQ 748 - Singapore Airlines Boeing 747 Commemorative Farewell Flight

Hi all, this is my very first post here, and hence first trip report posted. Please forgive me if anything isn't done right

Photos by clicking here

Date: 6th April 2012
Airlines: Singapore Airlines
Flight: SQ 748
Class: Business - Krisflyer Saver Redemption
Route: HKG-SIN
Aircraft type: Boeing 747-400

On the first day Singapore Airlines announced the Boeing 747 Commemorative flight, I got myself a redemption ticket on standard award with 25,500 miles.

It came to my surprise that seats were still available on the day before the flight, considering that was a Good Friday, the first day of Easter holiday. Not only Economy seats, but Business Class seats were also available, and on saver award!! It costed me nothing in miles but hundred something Hong Kong Dollars for changing my booking in the last minutes. To choose between Economy standard and Business saver, the choice is obvious, except it was a difficult decision to give up the window seat I have advance-reserved in previous booking.

Singapore Airlines had put in a lot of effort in this flight. This is first seen from the ribbon balls and 747 photographs hanging around check-in counters. A reception with reception was held at Gate 25 with Mr. Mak Swee Wah, the airline's senior vice president of commercial giving a speech and SQ's cabin crew dancing team delivering performance. Banners were all around showing the airline's 747 history, and everyone was occupied either eating, drinking, watching the dance performance, taking photographs with Singapore Girls and the Queen of the Skies.

A special menu was printed for this flight, outlined not only the usual items but also the rundown of the flight, which includes bingo and "B747 Challenges" (quizzes).

Inside the cabin, everyone was running around taking pictures of every happening, and the flight which detoured over Manila for longer flying time, was smooth and turbulence-free for the whole journey.

Legendary SQ Satay was specially served on this flight, and Grilled US Beef Fillet of the main course was particularly outstanding. The dessert was specially garnished with a "Thank you B747" chocolate. Service quality on this flight was superb despite of heavy workload for the cabin crew and passengers running around aisles and galleys. The only thing to complain is that all good things have to come to an end, and SQ748 ended 45 minutes ahead of schedule.

The touchdown onto runway was one of the smoothest ever, with applause around soon after touchdown. With this landing being the last landing of MEGATOP in mind, it is definitely the most emotional flight I have ever ridden on, and will remain a story to be talked about for decades ahead.

Unnoticed until a month after the flight, it was said that the aircraft arrived at Changi Airport gate B7, and luggage claimed at belt 47, which together made B747, it was certainly something that would took the sharp eyes to notice but there goes the fine details that Singapore Airlines have thought about.
Old May 23, 2012, 10:04 pm

Welcome to FT.

Great first post and trip report.
Old May 23, 2012, 10:15 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Thanks for sharing. Great first post!
Old May 23, 2012, 10:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by NYBanker
Thanks for sharing. Great first post!
+1
Old May 23, 2012, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! What a fabulous TR! I'm glad you took on last 747 commercial. We will bid farewell to SQ 747.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:32 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by JackieH
Unnoticed until a month after the flight, it was said that the aircraft arrived at Changi Airport gate B7, and luggage claimed at belt 47, which together made B747, it was certainly something that would took the sharp eyes to notice but there goes the fine details that Singapore Airlines have thought about.
^^^ nice ! and great TR. were the ticket prices insane or ?
Old May 24, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Welcome to FT. And not to sound like a parrot, but what a great first post! It's really sad to see the 744s head west for their last check ride, but change is one of the few things that is constant.
Old May 25, 2012, 10:52 pm

I didn't get to fly on the SQ 747s (though I've been on their 777s for around 5 or 6 times, but before they rolled out their new products). First time getting on a 747 was on JAL 4 years ago (phased out since then) and I think I'll be reminded of the MegaTop when I take an AF 747 soon. good coverage nonetheless
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Great pictures.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Nice report and thanks for the pictures, looks like a nice flight.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, CX MPC SL, ANA Mileage Club, UA Mileage Plus, Qantas FF
Hi thanks for all of your kind encouragement and appreciation for my first post.

I believed this is great one to start with

Originally Posted by marcuslai
^^^ nice ! and great TR. were the ticket prices insane or ?
It was not insane because I redeemed them with Krisflyer mileage

Originally on Economy Class but last minute upgraded to Business Class, surprisingly there were seats available.

Standard Award on Y vs Saver award on J, it was no brainer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.