Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-FRA A380 'new' meal service

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2013, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

SFO-FRA A380 'new' meal service

Hi all,
I posted the menu/food portion over in the menu forum, but thought people here may want to see it as well.
This is the first half of my journey, the other half is FRA-DEN on the probably old (In all honestly still amazing!) first product of the 747-400 on Lufthansa.

I'll be posting that once I fly back in 9 days.
Started in San Diego actually, got access to the United Club lounge with my LH first international flight later in the journey.

Simple but appreciated snack/beverage area. Only juice and coffee, beer can be brought into the club from the bar outside (better selection than in the lounge) or purchased in the lounge itself.

View on one side of lounge

Flew out on the A380 from SFO to Frankfurt.
My A380 waiting patiently as we taxi into the SFO gate from SAN.

I was going to post a few pics of the first class united lounge, but SFO was holding incoming flights due to low ceilings, so my connector from San Diego was over an hour late—I only had 2 minutes in the Lounge till they called the Flight—just enough time to have a single smoked salmon wheel and bite of sushi.
This is the first month of the revamped menu service in LH first. See the menu forum in Miles and More if you would like any other details.

Standard welcome onboard of Macadamia nuts and champagne

Cucumber and goat cheese starter

This was quite good with my glass of 21 year old Aberfeldy, the monthly special liquor.

Next came the caviar service

I was delightfully surprised, as I've never had caviar as a standalone course, and it was excellent.

Here is the printed menu

I had all 3 starters and the salad. Had to fill up the serving plate!

All three were very good, but the shrimp was by far my favorite-very well done, the chili jam was wonderful

I chose the beef filet. It was well done by the time it came out of the airplane warmer…tender still, but definitely not the best in show. Carrots were nice…as was the barley salad but entire dish seemed to be lacking—maybe it was the absence of a potato based side—my Midwest roots showing through.

Cheese selection was much appreciated…as you can see by my thoughtless eating before remembering to take a picture!

The glass of tawny port offered at this service paired very nicely (Colheita Niepoort 1999)
Lastly there was breakfast. I didn’t opt to wake for the full egg breakfast, but did partake in the salmon (Any form of smokes/cured salmon is usually my go to dish on any menu) muesli and fresh fruit. All of these were fresh and helped get me back on my feet---so to speak. Menu as well. (Again, forgive my indulgence prior to picture taking)

Overall—very well done. This was my first (and possibly only for a long time) time in First Class over the Atlantic. Virgin upper class is my only other jaunt in recent years that could compare to any degree...so when I say well done, this isn’t a comparison between other first class products, but I sure did enjoy the show.
Oh and the seat (1K) was absolutely amazing—as was the entire staff.
Highly recommend.

I should note they lost my luggage and 9 hours later still have no idea where it is--the welcome lounge was much appreciated and the waterfall showers

have amazing water pressure for that much volume--excellent way to forget about that lost bag for a few minutes!

All in all—a wonderful flight. I hope you all enjoy the pics.

Last edited by Calabria3611; May 11, 2013 at 12:47 pm Reason: Adding LH note at start
Old May 11, 2013, 3:12 pm

Thanks for the excellent photos, I enjoyed them. I hope your luggage has safely arrived.
Old May 11, 2013, 3:51 pm

So with this change they've lost one of their "signature" features - the etagerie of starters. The presentation was always pleasant.

It looks like the same thing Swiss did - cram food that belongs on a large plate onto a smaller one. How are you supposed to have room to actually cut this food? Makes it look like business class.
On Swiss, the dessert in particular requires a larger plate and they use those ridiculous rectangular ones that are simply awkward.

So LH serves the salad in a business-class sized bowl now? Looks like it from the picture.

So when is the "rose" to go as well?

Got to make it look like everyone else's product, for some reason.

Soon, all F class will have the same dull white plates and will all look the same.

JAL did the same with their "upgrade" a few years ago. They had stylish plates and cups before, and now they're all boring white. United F even had nice patterned plates before their cafeteria-white things now.

People may think it looks "modern", but I think it looks dead boring.
Old May 12, 2013, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
It looks like the same thing Swiss did - cram food that belongs on a large plate onto a smaller one. How are you supposed to have room to actually cut this food? Makes it look like business class.
On Swiss, the dessert in particular requires a larger plate and they use those ridiculous rectangular ones that are simply awkward.

So LH serves the salad in a business-class sized bowl now? Looks like it from the picture...
I definitely agree that some sort of flair on the dinnerware would be appreciated. The starter arrangement worked well actually with the small middle salad and plenty of room in/on the First Class seat/table. May have been a bit tight if trying this in business.
Salad wasn't anything special, dressing came out of a jar--just a place holder in my opinion--they should work on that.
I didn't grab an actual desert, so on the trip home I'll makes sure to grab one and take a pic. I forget the plates they used.

Oh, I forgot to make a note on the water options; I had probably 10+ glasses of the mint still water. Wonderful addition.
Old May 12, 2013, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The food looked good.
Thanks for the photos.
Old May 12, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
The food looks tastier than what I had in February DTW-FRA and FRA-NRT, but as others have indicated, the presentation is extremely underwhelming.
Old May 12, 2013, 7:48 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I was another one missing the etagiere.

Oh the horrors!!
Old May 12, 2013, 10:03 pm

Programs: air canada *A Gold, united, delta, american
Thanks for the great pix. Sorry to see you missed out on the SFO UA International First Class Lounge. Friendly staff and a good buffet made it memorable.

I flew F on SFO to FRA, and enjoyed the meal service. The etagères, the long stemmed rose, and the mix of familiar and out-there food and beverage items made it an entertaining part of the adventure.

Presumably the frills are getting cut as part of rationalizing service. Sad to see, as my perception is that the frills were the core of product differentiation.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:46 pm

I actually read a trip report about someone fairly recently flying DEN-FRA on the new first class product (actual beds), so you might have a chance!
Old May 13, 2013, 2:44 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
Looks like the presentation has gone down. Shame really. Probably cost cutting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.