Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific Business Class B747 Upper Deck!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I flew HKG to MNL in Cathay's business class on the upper deck. I always wanted to try the CX business class since I have heard so much about it. Overall it is an excellent product. The seats, although extremely private, are very narrow. I suspect this is how it is on Virgin Atlantic and Air cananda. It does not feel as "airy" as UA's business class. Also, you have absolutely no window view since you are completely turned around from the window. To see out the window, you must strain significantly. I have included a few photos, but again, the real trip report is in the video. I hope you enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pruH54JDvk

IMG_7528 by sfflyer123, on Flickr

IMG_7513 by sfflyer123, on Flickr

IMG_7483 by sfflyer123, on Flickr

IMG_7475 by sfflyer123, on Flickr

The video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pruH54JDvk
Old Nov 27, 2010, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, VS, SQ, AS
Champagne sure looked good! Did they offer you any after dinner drinks / cordials? Since the upper deck was empty, did they take especially good care of you?

The one time I did take Cathay, the service was fast and efficient leaving plenty of time to sleep.

Thanks for the TR!!! Always great to live vicariously through another's trip photos.....

putongo

Last edited by putongo; Nov 27, 2010 at 1:43 pm Reason: spelling correction
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Given you are based in SF, I am quite surprised you are not familiar with dum sum and Hong Kong milk tea.

Dim sum in a general term, it is not leaf wrapped dum sum. It is usually chicken with rice wrapped in lotus leaf. (in your case vegetable instead of chicken) The correct term in cantonese is Chan-Chu-Chicken.

Hong Kong milk tea is a british thing (if you don't know Hong Kong is a British colony up until 1997) However, I can really doubt they can make it from scratch on the plane, probably using those 3-in-1 milk tea packets from Lipton. (though I had never asked any CX FA about it !) Next time while you are back home, I suggest you go to one Hong Kong base restaurant and try a real one to compare.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Nov 27, 2010 at 6:53 pm
Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Nice report. I just picked upper deck for my first 747 flight
Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:33 pm

Cathay delight's my fav drink onboard. One time I asked for it before departure, not realizing it's actually not part of the pre-departure drink selections but the FA's nice enough to make me one along with apple juice. Great service

Oh! Also great pix and vid!
Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:54 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
I've always flown CX crossing the pacific and she surely is queen of the skies however .... since the herringbone J coffins with no width I've avoided them like the plague. Otherwise there is no finer airline. I preferred however the very last seat on the left side very private.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Hong Kong milk tea is a british thing (if you don't know Hong Kong is a British colony up until 1997) However, I can really doubt they can make it from scratch on the plane, probably using those 3-in-1 milk tea packets from Lipton.
Sorry I'm British and not sure what HKG Milk Tea is or the 3 in 1 lipton bags are? In the UK in common with Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and I guess a few other countries its common to drink black tea with a little milk. (just a small amount of milk, in the same way that Americans put cream in coffee)

Whats HKG Milk tea, can't be the same thing if it takes time to prepare.

Alex
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:53 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
I have reservations on flying on top of the 744..

Had the most horrible experience in J with CX. Glad you enjoyed it though..
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: Mucci of the Dominion of Maple and Moose; Keeper of Sir MightyMoose; BAEC Silver; AC MileagePlus
Originally Posted by camperdown9
Sorry I'm British and not sure what HKG Milk Tea is or the 3 in 1 lipton bags are? In the UK in common with Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and I guess a few other countries its common to drink black tea with a little milk. (just a small amount of milk, in the same way that Americans put cream in coffee)

Alex
In Toronto, with a sizable HK immigrant community, there's something called - translated word for word - 'Hongkong milk tea', meaning: tea with milk, Hongkong style. I've see that in London and Manchester too.

It's black tea with a bit of evaporated milk (PG and Carnation respectively I believe). It's just the particular variety of tea and milk that gives it a distinctive flavour.

Haven't been on CX in many many years, but I would wager they'd have something like that to cater to local HKG taste?

Back on topic: I've been in those coffin seats on AC, and don't like the fact that they're narrow and you can't reasonably look out the window. I may well have a choice to make next year when I have a trip to the Far EAst: CX via HKG or BA via LHR. It'll be a tricky one.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Great report and Video^!
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I am one of those lucky people (thanks to mileage awards) who, in fifteen flights so far, has never flown anything but First Class aboard Cathay Pacific. Coming from that perspective, I was quite frankly shocked at the claustrophobic confines of the new Business Class seat pod. No doubt it beats Economy seating, but I think I'd rather fly with the competition than shimmy into one of those narrow Business Class pods.

It's been said that some airlines' Business Classes are so good in terms of space and amenities that they may draw patronage away from the First Class cabin. That certainly will not be the case with Cathay's Business Class, a major step down from the spacious First Class accommodations.

BTW, Thanks for the fine report! Happy contrails!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by camperdown9

Alex
English Tea with milk and sugar, work the same with Earl Grey.

3 in 1 Lipton bags are powder instead of tea bags, already has milk and sugar mix in the powder. Each individual bag equal to a cup.

Taiwanese and Japanese drink the same kind, the bubble (pearl) milk tea is the one added with Tapioca.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong-style_milk_tea

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Dec 1, 2010 at 1:44 am
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Star Alliance Silver, jetBlue TrueBlue, CX Asia Miles, & Delta SkyMiles
Great TR! I flew CX J from JFK-YVR-JFK last year and it was great. I find fascinating that CX can offer full service while US carriers cannot do the same top notch service or sometimes any type of service in the same amount of time.

I however did not like the seat. I've flown VS J class and I thought it would be the same. I found it to be too narrow and not as private. I did like the food service and the great attention to the passengers. Most airlines, especially in the US, do not greet passengers by name.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Thanks, I'm liking these video reports more and more
Old Dec 5, 2010, 8:25 pm

Programs: I'm all in on Ultimate Rewards
I like the video reports as well. Makes for something you can watch for years to come to bring back all those memories.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.