FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Route maps now online: OpenFlights meets Airline Route Mapper (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/968893-route-maps-now-online-openflights-meets-airline-route-mapper.html)

jpatokal Jun 26, 2009 2:41 am

Route maps now online: OpenFlights meets Airline Route Mapper

Two of FlyerTalk's favorite tools are now available in one handy package: OpenFlights the flight logger (thread) now incorporates the awesome 53,000+ route database from Airline Route Mapper (thread), so you can just point and click on more or less any airport in the world to see where you can fly from there. Here's a screenshot:

http://openflights.org/demo/openflig...mple-bigtn.png

To try it out, just browse to http://openflights.org, enter the name/city/IATA code of your favorite airport in the new Search bar at the bottom, and click on Search. You can also read more about it in the blog.

Let me know what you think, and even more importantly, what you'd like to see next! Airline route maps are probably the next on the to-do list... and a big thanks to cockpitvisit, without whose data this would never have been possible.

csdf Jun 26, 2009 8:19 am

The airline routes don't quite work for routes that have an intermediate stop. For instance, BA flies from LHR to EZE with a stop at GRU, but if I enter LHR as a starting point, the mapper shows the flight terminating in GRU.

hauteboy Jun 26, 2009 10:33 am

Very cool for us Linux users. ^

jpatokal Jun 27, 2009 12:11 am

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 11972985)
The airline routes don't quite work for routes that have an intermediate stop. For instance, BA flies from LHR to EZE with a stop at GRU, but if I enter LHR as a starting point, the mapper shows the flight terminating in GRU.

Yes, this is a limitation of the ARM database, it only contains point-to-point data. A few more from the blog:
  • The route map covers routes, not schedules. We don’t know exact flight days, times or route numbers; however, click through to Kayak, and it can usually tell you.
  • The route map covers non-stop flights only. Singapore Airlines flies SIN-ICN-SFO, but if you click on SIN, you’ll only see the first leg.
  • The route map does not support route finding. If there’s no direct connection, we can’t find it for you… yet.
  • Route maps are offered per airport, not per airline (although this is on the to-do list).
  • Filters, Analyze, Top 10 etc don’t work on route maps (yet?). If you try to use them, it will just show you the data for your flights.

However, I'm currently working on extracting route data from users' actual flights, which should fill in some gaps.

RichardInSF Jun 27, 2009 10:23 am

Just tried it with SFO, for me, it seems a bit problematic -- page doesn't load entirely, etc.

wharvey Jun 27, 2009 11:56 am

Am I missing something? When I put in PVD... I get 25 lines... but no map in the background... have to actually click on each plane to see what airport it is... while I can guess on most... it would be much nicer to have maps in the background for reference.

sbm12 Jun 27, 2009 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey (Post 11978328)
Am I missing something? When I put in PVD... I get 25 lines... but no map in the background... have to actually click on each plane to see what airport it is... while I can guess on most... it would be much nicer to have maps in the background for reference.

Sounds like the image tiles aren't loading correctly. That happens sometimes on weekends, IME. I think I have changed the type of map displayed and that has fixed it sometimes. Click the + sign on the top-right and then choose the other radio button option there. That might work better.

jpatokal Jun 29, 2009 12:43 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 11978340)
Sounds like the image tiles aren't loading correctly. That happens sometimes on weekends, IME.

To be more precise, to keep our bandwidth bills somewhat sane, we're using the free MetaCarta third-party server for the map files. They're pretty reliable (this was the first outage in months), but you do get what you pay for...

Click the + sign on the top-right and then choose the other radio button option there. That might work better.
Perversely enough, the second map option (NASA Global Mosaic) was also down this weekend. :o First time that's ever happened though, and they're both up again.

N830MH Jun 29, 2009 1:53 am

Wow! Those website are so incredible. I am never seen it before. It was so much easier for me where I can find for which specific routes. Here some of specific routes:

FLL is 132 nonstop destinations cities
MIA is 200 nonstop destinations cities
LHR is almsot 400 nonstop out of Heathrow. It is lot of routes where come from. It was too many airlines are flying into Heathrow. I didn't realize know that.

You can select for which routes will look it up to tell you which airlines are already flies out of FLL, MIA, LHR, GRU and anywhere whole of the world.

Thank you so much for giving me best your new website. I am really likes it lot. Now, I can tell you for which airlines are already direct or codeshare.

joejones Jul 2, 2009 5:29 am

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 11984477)
FLL is 132 nonstop destinations cities
MIA is 200 nonstop destinations cities
LHR is almsot 400 nonstop out of Heathrow. It is lot of routes where come from. It was too many airlines are flying into Heathrow. I didn't realize know that.

Keep in mind that those numbers include codeshare routes, so many operated routes get counted twice, or five times, depending on how many airlines are interested in adding their code to the flight in question.

Still an awesome feature, and my hat is definitely off to jpatokal for implementing it. Bravo!

jpatokal Jul 3, 2009 3:04 am

Originally Posted by joejones (Post 12002166)
Keep in mind that those numbers include codeshare routes, so many operated routes get counted twice, or five times, depending on how many airlines are interested in adding their code to the flight in question.

Yup, this is a known bug, I'll see if I can fix it in the next release without murdering performance. Also, I'm still not entirely sure if a "route" should be defined as an airline operating between airports (as now), or simply as a pair of airports.

Still an awesome feature, and my hat is definitely off to jpatokal for implementing it. Bravo!
Thank ye muchly! And for my next trick, I'll be pulling airline route maps out of a hat and enabling airline filtering of airport maps -- tune in next week for more. :D

rawilliam Jul 14, 2009 11:38 pm

Very cool!

jpatokal Jul 15, 2009 3:25 am

Originally Posted by jpatokal (Post 12007466)
Thank ye muchly! And for my next trick, I'll be pulling airline route maps out of a hat and enabling airline filtering of airport maps -- tune in next week for more. :D

Ta-dah!

http://openflights.org/demo/openflig...line-route.png

Also implemented is filtering by airline, so you can see flights on airline X from airport Y, and codeshare flights are now shown as dotted lines. Details on the blog.

jpatokal Jul 18, 2009 2:05 am

A few usability tweaks to the site:
  • Airline route maps now default to show "actual" (non-codeshare) flights only, which is less cluttered, faster to load and faster to zoom around. You can still switch on codeshares by selecting "XX and codeshare" from the Filter.
  • Switching airlines in the filter no longer causes the map to resize to fit, which makes it much faster to cycle through them.
  • Non-IATA and inactive airlines no longer show up in the Quick Search results.
A bit more detail on the blog -- including why we're still double-counting codeshared routes.

UnoriginalGuy Jul 18, 2009 2:17 am

That is really cool. Thanks a lot :)

Added to Bookmarks.

PS - Is there a way to hide the HUGE white box that says "<Your Selected Airport> <X> Routes" and takes up 1/4th of the screen?