Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What Worldwide Airline WOULDN'T you fly....ever?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Worldwide Airline WOULDN'T you fly....ever?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
Great list, thanks for posting. I did not realize Garuda was banned from Europe.
All of Indonesian carriers are banned from the EU countries.

I wouldn't fly on any carrier that is on the EU black list and quite a few others on safety grounds - even those which have passed the IOSA. But I am fussy, and I can be, because I have the luxury of time to avoid certain places and carriers.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:00 am

Programs: UA, NW
After a bad experience in the 1980s, I have been wary of Air China (the Taiwanese airline). I had a scary flight from Taipei to Hualien, and a couple of weeks after I made the trip, that very flight crashed, killing all aboard.

They have probably upped their safety standards since then, but if I were going to Taiwan again, I'd take another airline there and a train or bus domestically.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:36 am
Original Poster

I use the term affectionately. I have always thought it rediculous that people get so worked up about it.

Originally Posted by BearX220
Since when do flight attendants in this era refer to themselves as "stewardesses"?

Are you asking about airline safety, ATC safety in particular countries, or both?

The only airlines I would have been queasy about flying were Air Florida and a small supplemental carrier in the northeast US whose management I knew personally (and whose operating certificate was eventually lifted by the FAA). Both are long gone.

I might have thought twice about Korean Air some years ago, but not any longer.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by ANDREWCX
Air Koryo (do they count?) also wouldn't be one I would fly.
Pity, you'll never get to taste the world-famous "Koryo Burger" then. (origins unknown - but I suspect it comes from something that once roamed the earth...)
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 2K, Marriott Platinium, Global Entry, Hyatt Diamond
Allegro Air Charter. Taking off from Cozumel in the late 90's we hit the sand bar at the end of the runway and emergency landed at Cancun. It was very short flight and the ocean and jungle were very visible. That is the only time I have seen all of the panels on the top of the plane drop in and part of the oxygen masks drop.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 4:34 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by ksandness
After a bad experience in the 1980s, I have been wary of Air China (the Taiwanese airline). I had a scary flight from Taipei to Hualien, and a couple of weeks after I made the trip, that very flight crashed, killing all aboard.

They have probably upped their safety standards since then, but if I were going to Taiwan again, I'd take another airline there and a train or bus domestically.
They haven't really. I remember a thread on FT after their latest fire and someone brought up some start stats regarding their safety.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ksandness
I think you mean China Airlines and not Air China. China airlines is the airline based in Taiwan, and it continues to have one of the worst safety records in the world with 8 recorded crashes involving fatalities since 1980.

Last edited by abfab; Jun 17, 2008 at 5:07 pm
Old Jun 17, 2008, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA ive been avoiding, but will consider them again once theyve rolled out new J.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 17, 2008 at 6:56 pm Reason: noticed OP said "worldwide airline"
Old Jun 17, 2008, 6:25 pm

China Airlines (Taiwan) has had a better record in the 2000s than it did in 1980s or 1990s, but it's still not great. The incidents still reflect bad maintenance or pilot error. In 2002, an A340 took off from a taxiway at ANC (no casualties). Also in 2002, a 747 disintegrated in mid-flight due to a faulty repair after a tail strike (225 killed). In 2007, a 737 burned after a slat assembly punctured a wing fuel tank (no casulties).
Old Jun 17, 2008, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
Living in Indonesia, the only two carriers I would fly within Indonesia, first choice Air Asia, second choice Garuda. I will NOT fly any other Indo carrier. (ex. Lion, Merpati, Adam(r they still even flying?)).

I also live in Indonesia and Indonesia Air Asia is the airline I wouldn't fly. Their terrible on time performance and very frequent re-timings, ie cancellations, have turned me from being a very frequent flyer with them to avoiding them totally.

Adam Air are out of business now. They were at the top of my no fly list.

There would also have to be a very good reason to get me to fly Biman Bangladesh again.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 6:35 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
Living in Indonesia, the only two carriers I would fly within Indonesia, first choice Air Asia, second choice Garuda. I will NOT fly any other Indo carrier. (ex. Lion, Merpati, Adam(r they still even flying?)).
Nope, Adam Air is no longer flying.

I have had terrible luck with Air Asia canceling flights at the last minute. Has happened 4 times in the last year and on consecutive days last month, Batam-Jakarta and then Jakarta-Medan. They've always re-booked me on a later flight but Indonesian domestic terminals leave a lot to be desired.

Flew Lion Air only once, Medan-Penang, and my girlfriend and I both had our luggage broken into.

I think Garuda hes been re-certified for the EU. My girlfriend forwarded me a press release about it but I didn't pay too much attention to it, I would never fly long haul on Garuda if I could fly a Oneworld carrier instead.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by alanh
China Airlines (Taiwan) has had a better record in the 2000s than it did in 1980s or 1990s, but it's still not great. The incidents still reflect bad maintenance or pilot error. In 2002, an A340 took off from a taxiway at ANC (no casualties). Also in 2002, a 747 disintegrated in mid-flight due to a faulty repair after a tail strike (225 killed). In 2007, a 737 burned after a slat assembly punctured a wing fuel tank (no casulties).
I was warned last year by a travel agent not to fly China Airlines. I was told they don't have a good safety record.
The other airline I wouldn't fly is Air India ... they're never on time.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 7:11 pm

I wouldn't fly China Airlines. I was told that they're not safe. I would avoid
PIA (Pakistan International Airlines, I think is the full form). They were on the EU no fly list too. Bad safety record, I think.

Another airline I would avoid because they're never on time is Air India!
Old Jun 17, 2008, 7:49 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
not from any personal experience, but stories, these are some airlines I would avoid:

Aerolineas Argentinas
Biman Bangladesh
Pakistan Intl Airlines (ok, we actually took this once in the 90s to FRA b/c it was cheap, never again)
any airline in subsaharan Africa that is not SAA
Old Jun 17, 2008, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by TA
Pakistan Intl Airlines (ok, we actually took this once in the 90s to FRA b/c it was cheap, never again)
I had a good friend killed in a PIA crash circa 1989, actually, so they're off my list as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.