FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Strange Complaints from Fellow Pax (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/830921-strange-complaints-fellow-pax.html)

drat19 Jun 11, 2008 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by MCOFlyer (Post 9862069)
My "favorite" escalator is right here at my home airport, MCO. It bypasses one level so it's the longest freakin' escalator I've ever seen. I think it goes up from ground level (transportation) to gate level, bypassing the baggage claim floor. My husband and I refer to it as the "Bart Simpson Escalator" (if you've ever seen the old episode where he's having an out of body experience and riding the escalator to Heaven and can't resist the urge to spit). Anyone know the one I'm talking about?

If I remember correctly, the escalator at CNN Center in Atlanta at the beginning of the tour is at least 3 or 4 or 5 stories high/long...anyone else who's been there can confirm? (It's been years for me.)

Efrem Jun 11, 2008 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by MCOFlyer (Post 9862069)
My "favorite" escalator is right here at my home airport, MCO. It bypasses one level so it's the longest freakin' escalator I've ever seen...

If you have a chance, check out the ones in the St. Petersburg (Russia) metro system. The city is full of rivers and canals, so the metro lines had to be dug very low to be under all of them - and, of course, some lines then have to run below others. The escalators are so long that you can become disoriented as to what is vertical: the people on the opposite one look as though they're leaning over. You wonder, subconsciously, what's holding them up.

Skyman65 Jun 11, 2008 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern (Post 9858959)
I like the power saving escalators in Canada and Europe which sense someone coming, but stay on slow mode until one boards. Makes it much easier.

:confused:

Uh, they have those in the US too. They're not common, but they have them. From my experience, they're not that common in Europe and Canada either.

Kiwi Flyer Jun 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem (Post 9862463)
If you have a chance, check out the ones in the St. Petersburg (Russia) metro system. The city is full of rivers and canals, so the metro lines had to be dug very low to be under all of them - and, of course, some lines then have to run below others. The escalators are so long that you can become disoriented as to what is vertical: the people on the opposite one look as though they're leaning over. You wonder, subconsciously, what's holding them up.

Some of them are fairly steep too.

Jaimito Cartero Jun 11, 2008 3:03 pm

The metro escalators in Moscow freaked me out the first time I rode on them. Very steep, I had to hold onto the hand rails, or I would feel a bit of vertigo.

travelinterpreters Jun 11, 2008 5:11 pm

Actually on the Thai flight, it was a really hott thai chick( i checked and i didnt see an adams apple, so hopefully she wasnt really a lady boy).

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets (Post 9855827)
Was that (hungry and thirsty) 90 year old Japanese lady sitting next to her on the Thai flight, too?

SFSC Jun 11, 2008 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Oxb (Post 9858607)

Before the meal was served (yes, this quite a few years ago) I overheard her saying to her husband that I would probably not even bless my food.

She was correct.

Perhaps you could have farted and said "Thank you God for my previous meal":D

antirealist Jun 11, 2008 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jenbel (Post 9855986)
(British society rules on civility have been developed over centuries, and mostly we just do them without thinking about them - it just happens!).

I'm English, I went to a public school and I'm absurdly polite, but I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Standing in the aisle and inconveniencing a number of people is clearly rude, and insisting on an "excuse me" is typical alpha male arrogance, not some cross-cultural misunderstanding. The guy was a jerk; no excuses; end of story.

TrojanHorse Jun 12, 2008 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Princess1 (Post 9827224)
she popped her head up BETWEEN MY LEGS and requested that I lift my legs up high

Now I would be calling that nothing short of excellent in flight service :eek:

jezsik Jun 12, 2008 8:08 am

Originally Posted by moocherx (Post 9854703)
... he turns to me and says "a simple 'excuse me' is too much to ask?" in a really disgusted tone ...

To which I reply "a long line of boarding passengers negates the need for an 'excuse me'."

Well done. I'd have been tempted to reply with "No, but a simple 'Get the f#@k out of the way you ignorant b@$%@#d" seems more appropriate."

While passing through security, the woman in front of me was fussily arranging her stuff in the trays for x-rays. She was slow about it so the line ahead of her cleared out while the line behind us grew. Instead of sliding her stuff forward to give room for the next people to prepare their stuff, she remained at the back of the table. I stepped past her and dropped my bag onto the conveyor belt (no need for shoe inspections then and I had all my pocket stuff in the bag). She blustered some sort of "Well I never!" comment and started muttering about rudeness. I shrugged and lightly quipped something uninspiring about the necessity for efficiency.

Some time later, I took my window seat on the plane. Guess who sat down right next to me? "Hey, how ya doin'? Glad ya made it!" She stared straight ahead during the whole flight, never once glancing in my direction.

BearX220 Jun 12, 2008 9:23 am

Originally Posted by antirealist (Post 9865175)
I'm English, I went to a public school and I'm absurdly polite, but I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Standing in the aisle and inconveniencing a number of people is clearly rude, and insisting on an "excuse me" is typical alpha male arrogance, not some cross-cultural misunderstanding. The guy was a jerk; no excuses; end of story.

Right on. ^

BearX220 Jun 12, 2008 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Efrem (Post 9862463)
If you have a chance, check out the ones in the St. Petersburg (Russia) metro system... The escalators are so long that you can become disoriented as to what is vertical: the people on the opposite one look as though they're leaning over. You wonder, subconsciously, what's holding them up.

From the trivia desk: I believe the longest escalator in western Europe is at Angel Tube station on the Northern Line in London. You can't see the bottom from the top.

Counsellor Jun 15, 2008 7:53 am

Originally Posted by exbayern (Post 9858959)
I can explain. I have 'downescalatorphobia' ;) and have had it all my life. I lack the depth perception to see the steps clearly making it difficult to jump aboard, and while I do try and move as quickly as I can, someone huffing and puffing behind me, or pushing past me, makes it worse.

I can usually get on after 2-4 steps, but if you behave that way it may take me 12.

I had a similar problem when I first got my trifocals.

Have you ever used a paternoster?

hch Jun 15, 2008 8:11 am

Originally Posted by exbayern (Post 9855665)
I find it so unbearably warm on most LH flights and often debate asking for the temperature to be turned down on long haul flights. But of course my fellow passengers quite often ask for it to be turned UP :eek:

I cannot imagine any situation where I would need to ask for the temperature to be turned up on an aircraft, nor can I imagine being the passenger who determines that they have enough power to decide the temperature setting that hundreds of others must endure

Interesting, it's usually to cold for me for just wearing a t-shirt on almost all planes, but often too warm for wearing a sweater. And I'm a person that generally like it cold, up to the extent that I try to spend the northern summer skiing in the southern hemisphere because I can't stand the heat :)

MojaveFlyer Jun 15, 2008 8:52 am

That woman is reading to her child!

DL flight ATL-LAS. We're in cattle class on some 3-3 seater a/c. My wife was reading some kids' book to our 6 yr old son. In front of us were three rather boisterous middle-aged women travelling together. After a while and a drink or two, two of them napped off (day time flight). Then one sits up and starts turning and staring at us, then looking away. Given their previous manner, I didn't respond.

So she bangs on the call button a few times, and when the FA comes complains "that woman is reading out loud to her kid". FA looks confused, "And....???". The woman made a big stink. FA tells her to chill, then tells my wife "In my entire career as FA, I don't think I've ever heard that complaint. It's good to read to kids!"