FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Strange Complaints from Fellow Pax (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/830921-strange-complaints-fellow-pax.html)

cheepneezy Jun 9, 2008 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets (Post 9850264)
Are you a camel?

Bwahahahahahahahaha.:D:D:D

USPhilly Jun 9, 2008 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Orion (Post 9851802)
He asked me to close my air conditioning vent because he was chilly. When I declined to close my overhead vent he summoned a FA who closed my vent and all of the vents around us and ordered me not to touch it.

This really bothers me. The reason there are 3 vents in each row is so that each pax can do what he/she chooses with the one above their seat. IMO the FA was absoluetly wrong to do this. :td: Maybe one of our local FAs can comment?

essxjay Jun 9, 2008 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by chamonix (Post 9849889)
Oh, I wouldn't even be tempted, I would do so in 2 seconds... I would never wait to be given permission by someone next to me to remove something from my underseat storage space.

^ I'm of similar mind: Act first, ask permission later.

So as to not run afoul of personal safety or common decency in this case of cabin animals, I can accomplish the Act and Permission steps simultaneously by hitting the FA call button. My conscience is then clear to move said animal to an interim seating arrangement. :)

When I declined to close my overhead vent he summoned a FA who closed my vent and all of the vents around us and ordered me not to touch it.

I'll bet this FA is a model parent at home. :rolleyes:

ECOTONE Jun 9, 2008 5:37 pm

Not a complaint, more of an odd request...

but when i was younger, like 10ish, I was asked for my autograph a couple of times on multiple flights because, according to my parents, everyone thought I was Macaulay Culkin. That actually happened in lots of places, malls, movie theaters, etc.

I wonder what type of work a Macaulay Culkin inpersonator could have gotten back then (luckily, we no longer look alike!)?

travelinterpreters Jun 9, 2008 6:10 pm

A few years ago we went on our honeymoon to Bangkok. On the DFW-NRT flight my wife was sat next to this 90 year old Japanese lady. Well, my wife turned on her monitor and started to watch a movie then promptly fell asleep, the Japanese woman took the controls to my wife's monitor and changed it to some odd Japanese show. My wife woke up, changed it, fell back asleep and the Japanese woman changed it again. This time when she woke up she thought I was playing a joke on her, I then explained what happened. Well it happened a 3rd time and when she woke up my wife told me to make her stop, she then fell back asleep for the rest of the flight. I am not sure which is more weird, the Japanese woman changing the channels, or how one person can sleep THAT long in a coach seat! My wife then slept most of the Thai flight to BKK also! Waking only to yell at me for eating her dinner and drinking her beer!

pragakhan Jun 9, 2008 6:18 pm

He asked me to close my air conditioning vent because he was chilly.

I have had seatmates make this request but my personal comfort is always more important to me then theirs. I can usually tell by their pointing up and making a twisting motion with their hand, I don't even take my headphones off, just shake my head no and enjoy the ensuing temper tantrum from someone who is supposed to be an adult.

Sometimes what people expect from complete strangers baffles me.

I have only given up a seat for one in first class and I have only stowed one passengers bag under the space in front of me. He was a soldier returning home and didn't even ask, the FA did to which I humbly accepted.

SJC1K Jun 9, 2008 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by pragakhan (Post 9852600)
I have only given up a seat for one in first class and I have only stowed one passengers bag under the space in front of me. He was a soldier returning home and didn't even ask, the FA did to which I humbly accepted.

Were both favors for the same passenger? I might well have accepted a downgrade in favor of a returning soldier if I got my upgrade back. I might well also offer to upgrade a soldier. But I don't think I would take well to a request to give up my upgrade in favor of anyone.

SJC1K Jun 9, 2008 6:35 pm

I have had seatmates make this request but my personal comfort is always more important to me then theirs. I can usually tell by their pointing up and making a twisting motion with their hand, I don't even take my headphones off, just shake my head no and enjoy the ensuing temper tantrum from someone who is supposed to be an adult.

In fact I always turn off my own air vent because I'm often chilly, but I only feel entitled to ask someone else to turn off theirs if it's blowing at me rather than at them.

pragakhan Jun 9, 2008 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by SJC1K (Post 9852669)
Were both favors for the same passenger? I might well have accepted a downgrade in favor of a returning soldier if I got my upgrade back. I might well also offer to upgrade a soldier. But I don't think I would take well to a request to give up my upgrade in favor of anyone.

No, a guy was sitting next to his wife in my exit row seat. He offered me his FC seat for it and I accepted. ;)

The solider was on another flight and the FA had upgrade him. It was a short final leg of a three day journey for him (not much being on commercial aircraft either). I can't imagine going from sand to FC on your final leg being all that important everything considered, but he was very appreciative.

On a long flight I would more then happily give a soldier my seat. I can be flexible to people who don't EXPECT me to... ;)

Also my air vent is always pointed at me, even so, it's more then likely positioned at an angle towards me, away from seatmates.

MCOFlyer Jun 9, 2008 6:56 pm

Just curious...why didn't the soldier want his bag under his own seat? Was it a bulkhead or something?

I HAVE to have my air vent blowing on me. I'm a paranoid flyer and stave off anxiety with Xanax and little rituals. I have to have several bottles of water, and air blowing on me calms me. I certainly make sure that it isn't going on my seatmate, but if a FA wanted me to turn it off I'd let her know in no uncertain terms that it would be her fault if I had an anxiety attack. I don't know why it helps me, but it just does. I guess the blowing air offsets some of that short-of-breath panic feeling. The water bottle is to suck during ascent/descent, and I supposed if I really flipped it out I could pour it over my head. Thankfully it's never come to that.

pragakhan Jun 9, 2008 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by MCOFlyer (Post 9852766)
Just curious...why didn't the soldier want his bag under his own seat? Was it a bulkhead or something?

Yup, bulkhead, almost full flight and he had 2 decent size bags.

Originally Posted by MCOFlyer (Post 9852766)
I HAVE to have my air vent blowing on me. I'm a paranoid flyer and stave off anxiety with Xanax and little rituals. I have to have several bottles of water, and air blowing on me calms me. I certainly make sure that it isn't going on my seatmate, but if a FA wanted me to turn it off I'd let her know in no uncertain terms that it would be her fault if I had an anxiety attack. I don't know why it helps me, but it just does. I guess the blowing air offsets some of that short-of-breath panic feeling. The water bottle is to suck during ascent/descent, and I supposed if I really flipped it out I could pour it over my head. Thankfully it's never come to that.

are you claustrophobic? I imagine the air, much like a breeze creates a sense of 'openness'. Especially if you where to sit in a window seat on a three seat row, you might feel a little 'locked in'.

The air for me is my love for the cold, I live in MI and prefer spring, fall and winter over summer any day. AC set at 60-65 as soon as I hit the hotel and I despise the controls that include motion activation - bad bad bad!

chamonix Jun 9, 2008 9:07 pm

I don't understand at all someone asking another to "turn off" their vent. Why can't they just ask them to make sure it's pointed at the person who it "belongs" to?

My vent is usually on, but I always make sure it's pointed directly at me. I would certainly move it if requested politely (if somehow it was still impacting another pax) but I would definitely decline to turn it off completely. I would also tell the FA that the air was necessary for my wellbeing, and I can imagine an asthma attack (or whatever was called for, lol) being pulled out as a trump card if needed. For the most part, I need the air to keep the smells of other pax (body or perfumed product, ugh, either one makes my lungs wheeze and my head ache) away from my face.

In the case upthread of the man in the bikini and tank, perhaps the FA was afraid he would take even more clothes off if she didn't get folks to comply with his request. :eek:

exbayern Jun 9, 2008 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by pragakhan (Post 9852876)
are you claustrophobic? I imagine the air, much like a breeze creates a sense of 'openness'.

I am severely claustrophobic although I do manage to fly weekly, usually calmed by having 'my' seat and following my rituals. I often fly LH A340 in C with no vents, and they have now replaced the regular C blanket with a thermal one, as my fellow countrypersons have an irrational fear of the deadly 'draft' :rolleyes:. Those flights are especially difficult for me.

If anyone asked me to turn off my vent, FA or passenger, they would hear from me as I would not be able to comply and still manage to fly in any state of comfort.

I have endured years of black looks on German trains by daring to open the window a crack on a hot day, thereby permitting the 'deadly draft' to enter the carriage and attack everyone inside

sammy0623 Jun 9, 2008 10:19 pm

all this talk of air blowers...

reminds of an sat-mdw flight i took a few years ago when it was like 95-100 all across the midwest, even hotter in the south. i was sitting at the window, and the guy next to me stunk, and of course i didnt realize til it we were in the air (and it was a full flight), so i angled the air vent towards him, to blow the stench away.

it seemed to work

mersk862 Jun 9, 2008 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs. Alliance (Post 9846177)
I was once told I was selfish and rude when I insisted on taking my ticketed seat (aisle, exit row) instead of giving it to the tall guy who was sitting in it when I arrived... he wanted me to take his middle seat in the back. Man, I'm 5'9", and I want my seat!

I've had several tall people shoot me nasty glances when passing by the exit row on flights when they see me (all of 5'6" 140 lbs) sitting at the exit row while they're stuck in a regular coach seat.

This is even more pronounced when on a CRJ-700 (which has a good foot of extra legroom in the exit row but the same horrible legroom in the rest of the plane).