FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   anyone ever been through an aborted takeoff/landing? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/827250-anyone-ever-been-through-aborted-takeoff-landing.html)

akakak Apr 18, 2012 8:12 am

Aborted landing last night into WPG, 737 speed down to 170. No longer a virgin - would like to know why?

Curious cat

Camflyer Apr 18, 2012 2:26 pm

Never had an aborted take-off but but had a landing aborted at GVA a few years ago. Coming into land, a few feet from the runway then suddenly the engines go into maximum power and we lurch upwards. We got a really good view of the lake as we circled around. I can't remember the reason but everyone seemed to take it in good spirits.

michal1027 Apr 19, 2012 9:14 am

Scary Landing on old TWA B747-100

I have had two aborted landings with go arounds on UA and MX. But, my most frightening experience was on a TW old B747-100 from STL to JFK many years back.....We had to dump all fuel, SOP, than made a very shaky and what seemed like a rather uncontrolled approach.......as we made the long straight in approach....and as we got closer to the runway we all saw the crash equipment.......The landing was very very rough........and we ended up at the end of the runway....and had to be towed to the gate......Captain than informed us after safely landing we had hydraulic problems......which really was a scary thing.....when we deplaned....I asked the captain...."Was this a serious problem ?" He looked at me and said.....Indeed.....The cockpit crew definitely earned their salaries on that day.....

cdcummings Apr 19, 2012 11:54 am

I was on SAT-DFW AA 483 this past Sunday. We had a last-minute aborted landing. Excess fuel put us overweight. After a quick circle-around, we landed just fine.

fredq2 Apr 20, 2012 4:36 am

intersting thread - the ones I remember are

Coming home from a ski trip DEN - CVG on a DL MD-88 in a snow storm and the pilot does a go around and announces that the automated braking wasnt working so he was going to wait for them to plow the runway. Circled for 50 minutes and landed.

Business trip into HSV on the final turn to land and I watched a 747 pull half way onto the runway for take off - he stopped probably knowing he didnt have right of way. Our pilot saw it immediately and pulled out of landing pattern and then landed normally. I remember him saying that there was pilot training ongoing and maybe a student pilot error.

Takeoff from Andrews AFB in a C-21 with a loud bang at a few hundred feet. Continued to climb but circled the base and then landed. Turns out it was a bird strike that cracked the canopy. Spent the rest of the day at Andrews waiting on a replacement a/c.

Valmiki Feb 18, 2015 1:53 pm

AA33 from JFK to LAX ---- approaching the south runway for landing, just passed the highway and maybe 100ft plus in the air and a hundred Ft before touch down, then speed increased and we were climbing again.

The captain made an announcement about 3 minutes after while the plane was over the bay ---- he mentioned that another plane was talking too long to move. We landed about 5 minutes after at the north runway

nrr Feb 18, 2015 3:27 pm

I had two aborted takeoffs and one aborted landing:
(1)NW, jfk to Milwaukee, starting to build up speed for t/o, then abruptly stopped--the pilot heard on the radio to abort our flight number, but it was for a different airline, we then took off normally. [this was back in the 1960's]
(2)CO orly to ewr, again building up speed for t/o, only to come to a stop--they had some fa's going back to ewr, which were needed in Paris... [in 1970's]
(3)AA landing in LAS, missed approach, flew to LAX, turned around and ultimately landed. [about 4 years ago]

pogopossum Feb 18, 2015 6:23 pm

I was in an aborted takeoff many years ago, shut down very early on in the runway run.I think it was IAD. No big deal. I had one aborted landing coming in to PHX. Both were back in the 1990's, if not earlier. With all of my more frequent travels since 1997, nothing.

PP

BuildingMyBento Feb 18, 2015 6:45 pm

In 2010, I was on a CO IAH-MEX that had an aborted landing. A couple of years later was on a CO OMA-EWR leg.

Most recently, 2013 had me on a couple of flights that required emergency landings- a UA 787 DEN-NRT (landed in SEA after making it to the northern tip of Vancouver Island), and a GA DPS to...DPS that didn't have enough fuel.

Tchiowa Feb 18, 2015 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento (Post 24375779)
In 2010, I was on a CO IAH-MEX that had an aborted landing. A couple of years later was on a CO OMA-EWR leg.

Most recently, 2013 had me on a couple of flights that required emergency landings- a UA 787 DEN-NRT (landed in SEA after making it to the northern tip of Vancouver Island), and a GA DPS to...DPS that didn't have enough fuel.

2 come to mind.

Last year, ANA, BKK/NRT. Tried landing in a very heavy storm. Way too much turbulence as we got near the ground. Pulled up and circled for about an hour until the storm moved on.

Many moons ago, Sabena flight landing in Kinshasa, DRC. Heavy storm. Dropped out of the clouds and we could see that they had overshot the runway. Pulled up and tried it again.

jrl767 Feb 19, 2015 7:04 am

more than I can remember ... although all but a handful were in my Boeing Flight Test days (analysis engineer on 727/737/747, Test Director on 767-200) ... the one test condition that sticks in my memory was a simulated engine failure just when the engines reached go-around thrust ... we were using the Boeing test facility at Moses Lake WA; I was in the TD seat right behind the pilot, and distinctly remember taking a quick glance out the 3L cockpit window and seeing very little sky as the left engine spooled down surprisingly quickly ...

the only rejected takeoffs that I can recall in 2000+ commercial flights were on a UA 777, ORD-DEN, about a week after it entered revenue service ... we got up to maybe 90-100 knots on takeoff roll, the pilots cut the engines and applied the brakes, and we taxied to the penalty box where they tried to sort things out; a few minutes later we took the runway again and repeated the scenario, but this time went back to the gate so the maintenance guys could replace one of the engine control boxes ... the actual flight was completely uneventful

Forrest Bump Feb 19, 2015 9:02 am

LH at FRA go-around.
LH at MUC aborted take-off.

No matter how experienced you are, scary it is.

k374 Feb 19, 2015 10:40 am

aborted landing (touch and go) BLR-BOM about 10 years ago... frightening experience, people were in panic. Later learned that the pilot was coming in too fast and would have overshot the runway into a highway if he hadn't aborted.

brendog Feb 19, 2015 10:53 am

Badenoch Feb 19, 2015 10:54 am

No aborted take-offs. Half-a-dozen aborting landings.