Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oil in Nebraske (?) more than all of Saudi??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2008, 4:12 am
Original Poster

I have NO idea where this thread belongs, but I was shocked this morn when watchin FOX news that there was oil found under a lake in Nebraska (correct me on the state if I am wrong) which totals more than ALL, repeat ALL of the oil in Saudi Arabia!!

Question. What would happen if the US Government said, no thanks Saudi, we can provide our OWN oil now fully??????

I am sooo confused, interested, baffeled at what this could possibly do for our economy!

Anyone else been watching this???
Old Apr 15, 2008, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I presume you are talking about the find in deep atlantic off the coast of brazil.

the oil is some 5-10 miles down. will probably not be recovered for 50 years.

i think brazil waited until late in the bush administration to announce, to avoid takeover by cheney, et all.

"your" economy(presuming you are speaking of usa, since you watch fox news) has been trashed by horrible monetary policy. probably will take the same 50 years to recover.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'd like to see a reference for this. Saudi Arabia has over 100 oil fields covering 1.5million square kilometers - an area area larger than the combined areas of Texas, California, Oklahoma and Utah, or of France, Spain and Germany. I'd be fascinated to see how there can be oil "under a lake" in Nebraska with that same volume of oil.

If the US could be fully energy independent, I suspect everyone would agree that this is a good thing.

But call be me skeptical. I would have thought such a story would be on Fox's front page, or at least return a single Google hit. April 1 was a few weeks ago.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I'm on the run now, don't have time to google figures, but I think it's somewhat of a misconception that Saudi Arabia provides most of the US's imported oil (or maybe it's US total oil consumption). Anyway, I think it's something like 20%? The Saudis are not single-handedly 'sticking it to the US'.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 7:51 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Wow! Seeing as how I'm originally from Nebraska and still have family there, I'll be really interested to see how this plays out!
Old Apr 15, 2008, 8:50 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by DontCallMeShirley
I have NO idea where this thread belongs, ***
It belongs in our OMNI forum, where most everything not travel or loyalty program-related can be discussed. Since access to OMNI requires 180 days of FT membership and 180 posts, this TravelBuzz thread is now closed. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.