Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

USA-Canada immigration & customs - where?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Hi friends,

I will be making a day trip by flight on business from Boston to Canada. I hold a foreign passport with work authorization for the United States. I have a Canadian business visa.

This is my first such trip and I was wondering where I would need to go through customs and immigration. I believe, and things may have changed, that I will clear Canadian or US customs &/or immigration in USA/Canada?

I tried to look this up online but there was no clear information.

Thanks,
Andy
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:33 pm

I've never done it from Boston - but have done it from New York and Detroit. On both occasions I cleared both countries' Customs and Immigration in Canada
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN
Originally Posted by wonderfultravels
Hi friends,

I will be making a day trip by flight on business from Boston to Canada. I hold a foreign passport with work authorization for the United States. I have a Canadian business visa.

This is my first such trip and I was wondering where I would need to go through customs and immigration. I believe, and things may have changed, that I will clear Canadian or US customs &/or immigration in USA/Canada?

Thanks,
Andy
To where are you flying?

Usually you'll go through Canadian AND U.S. customs/immigration in Canada. Most major Canadian airports have U.S. preclearance facilities; this way you fly back into domestic terminals in the U.S.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is a list of all of the US pre-clearance locations (Canada, Caribbean, and Ireland):
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/c..._locations.xml
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I will be flying from Boston (BOS) into Toronto (YYZ) Lester B Pearson International.

It will be a day trip. I will be travelling with a few senior managers from my company, which is a large/medium sized management consulting company, global. I plan to take only my laptop bag which will have my laptop and business papers, along with my travel papers.

Are these day trips usually frowned upon? I have all the documentation for the visit and everything is legit and part of the project that we are working on.

Thanks,
Andy
Old Jan 23, 2008, 1:59 pm

In Montreal you preclear at Dorval-now called Trudeau.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 2:02 pm

Programs: AC*S, AS, CX, Marriott Platinum, Nexus, Specialized AWOL Touring Bicycle
Welcome to Canada, I don't see how these trips would be frowned up.

Upon entering Canada, and if so questioned, state you have no current intention whatsoever so seek residence or employment in the country. On your return leg, you will pre-clear U.S. customs and immigrations in YYZ.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by soitgoes
Here is a list of all of the US pre-clearance locations (Canada, Caribbean, and Ireland):
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/c..._locations.xml
You learn something new every day - I had no idea that Ireland was included!

Interesting that the list doesn't include the US Virgin Islands, where despite being in US Territory, one has to clear CBP.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the replies. I will be flying from Boston (BOS) into Toronto (YYZ) Lester B Pearson International.
Just for additional information on YYZ arrival, you'll be arriving into T1 if you fly AC or T3 if you fly AA.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 6:28 pm
Suspended

You will likely have to go through both in both places. There should be signs on what to do. Unless you have a reason to be worried about getting into either country, I wouldn't worry about it.

"Are these day trips usually frowned upon? I have all the documentation for the visit and everything is legit and part of the project that we are working on."

Both the United States and Canada are perfectly happy to have business people cross the border as much as they need. It enables commerce, employs people and generates tax revenue. In case someone thinks what you're doing is out of line, they'll just check your documents and search your luggage. I doubt that they will bother you. Provided you have a valid business reason to be there then you're fine.

Have your passport, know where you are staying and answer their questions openly and honestly. No need to be super friendly. You're being questioned by government officials both in customs and immigration. The only people who have to worry are those with prior criminal history or those people who are doing things they shouldn't be (aka smuggling).

Happy travels.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
With a CDN business visa, you should be fine.

For those US citizens travelling for business without visas, they will inquire the nature of your business. The Canadians are very protective of their jobs.

Excellent answer: Receiving training
Good answer: Attending meetings
Poor answer: Consulting
Terrible answer: Delivering training
Old Jan 23, 2008, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by thegeneral
You will likely have to go through both in both places.
No, you will only go through Immigration once on the outbound, once on the return. Your airline will verify you have a passport and have pre-scanned it per post 9-11 rules BUT you will only meet a Canada Customs Agent once you land at YYZ. If they want more information, the Customs Officer will refer you to Immigration.

When you leave YYZ, you will pre-clear US Immigration right in the airport.

No Customs or Immigration officers at BOS.

(I speak from experience as I used to fly that route and YYZ-LGA quite frequently).

Safe travels.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:14 pm

Process

Originally Posted by MapleLeaf
No, you will only go through Immigration once on the outbound, once on the return. Your airline will verify you have a passport and have pre-scanned it per post 9-11 rules BUT you will only meet a Canada Customs Agent once you land at YYZ. If they want more information, the Customs Officer will refer you to Immigration.

When you leave YYZ, you will pre-clear US Immigration right in the airport.

No Customs or Immigration officers at BOS.

(I speak from experience as I used to fly that route and YYZ-LGA quite frequently).

Safe travels.
No Customs or Immigration at BOS ?

Indeed YES, there is.

The OP is in US on a foreign passport. He goes through normal TSA screening
like anyone else, and proceeds to the Gate. When boarding, GA will ask
to see passport/id and BP.

Once arrived in YYZ, OP proceeds first to canada Immigration, then OP will be passed on to Canada Customs.

Exiting Canada, OP goes through normal screenig process.

Upon return to BOS (USA) OP proceeds to US Immigration, then he proceeds to US customs.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:20 pm

Programs: AC*S, AS, CX, Marriott Platinum, Nexus, Specialized AWOL Touring Bicycle
Originally Posted by Boston_Bulldog
No Customs or Immigration at BOS ?

Indeed YES, there is.

The OP is in US on a foreign passport. He goes through normal TSA screening
like anyone else, and proceeds to the Gate. When boarding, GA will ask
to see passport/id and BP.

Once arrived in YYZ, OP proceeds first to canada Immigration, then OP will be passed on to Canada Customs.

Exiting Canada, OP goes through normal screenig process.

Upon return to BOS (USA) OP proceeds to US Immigration, then he proceeds to US customs.
Sounds right except for the last part. Toronto is a pre-clearance location, so OP would be admitted by CBP personnel at YYZ.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:34 pm

Customs & Immigration Processing BOS-YYZ-BOS

Hi friends,

Thanks,
Andy

Hello Andy Welcome to Flyer Talk.

You didn't mention what country you're from, but I gather that you are in
the US legally on business and happen to be based out of the Boston area
right now.

You should have no difficulties regarding your business travel or leisure
travel as you appear to have the necessary documentation.

Hopefully you will not see SSSS on your BP (Boarding Pass) which means after entering TSA security checkpoint for your BOS-YYZ flight, you would have to go through secondary TSA screening, which can be a pain, if you're pressed for time.

If all goes well, as it ought you should just be able to get through Boston security checkpoint within 5-10 minutes and on your way to the gate for the flight to Toronto YYZ.

Process in either direction should hopefully go smoothly:

1. You go through normal TSA screening at Boston, just like anyone else, and proceed to the Gate. When boarding, GA will ask to see passport/id and BP.

Once youy have arrived in Toronto YYZ, you proceed first to Canada Immigration, then will be directed onward to Canada Customs, and on you way.

Short day-trips does cause some eye-brow raising as generally most business travellers will spend a day or two, rather than squeeze travel and business meetings into a single day.

A good statement for Canada Immigration would be:

" My reason for being in Canada is to attend BUSINESS MEETINGS
and my plans are to return back to the United States later in today."

Exiting Canada, you will go through normal screenig processes.

Upon return/arrival back in BOS (USA) you proceed to US Immigration,
then you proceed through US Customs.

Customs/Immigration declaration forms are generally given on the flights
but if you want you should be able to get one to fill out ahead from the
Gate.

Too bad, you and your associates can't spend a day or two in Toronto
as there's alot to see.

Also be forewarned that this winter and flights can be severly delayed and or cancelled oout of Toronto Pearson YYZ so you might want to be prepared with a contingency plan in case you need to stay over a day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.