FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Best cities for 1 night visit? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/738550-best-cities-1-night-visit.html)

sdm1130 Sep 21, 2007 12:52 pm

Best cities for 1 night visit?

I know this will sound crazy to some and that it is not the best way to see certain parts of the world, but sometimes I like to travel internationally for a weekend (fly out Friday night and return on Sunday)! I am curious to know what you guys think are some of the best cities to visit in such a short period of time.

I'm beginning to think of some travel plans for early 2008. :

BamaVol Sep 21, 2007 1:10 pm

I'm guessing the best places to visit for a day are either really lacking in things to see and do or places where you can get coke from the taxi driver as you leave the airport.

Rampo Sep 21, 2007 1:18 pm

One night should be enough for Singapore. ;)

VelvetKennedy Sep 21, 2007 1:23 pm

I wouldn't say its enough time, but you could certainly cram a lot of exciting things into a short amount of time in New York or Las Vegas. No need for sleep, just non-stop fun.

cl.lurker Sep 21, 2007 1:27 pm

Rio/Sao Paulo!

You can fly overnight both ways, thus saving the hotel costs...

Out Friday night, land early Saturday morning, and back on Sunday night, landing early Monday morning, straight to work...:p

degendanny Sep 21, 2007 1:29 pm

vegas seems perfect for this.

sdm1130 Sep 21, 2007 1:40 pm

I should have clarified - I am looking for International destinations. I love visiting different countries for their art, buildings, food and just general culture. Last winter I went to Cologne, Germany and felt 1 day/night was a great way to see the main sites, try some German food/beer and get a rough idea of the culture there. I figure if I do it this way, I can determine which places I'd like to go back to (for a longer trip) in the future! :)

Vegas - I'm not much of a partier (or gambler) so this might not be ideal for me. Although, that is on the list of a place I'd like to spend a day/night in sometime just to see all of the hotels people rant and rave about.

Rio/Sao Paulo - Sounds like a neat idea. I recall reading that a visa was needed for US travelers in Brazil. If this is the case, I think saving these cities for a longer trip would make more sense...

New York - I live about 40 minutes outside of NYC so I have seen and done a lot here already. Plus, a flight from NYC - NYC might not make a ton of sense... :)

VelvetKennedy Sep 21, 2007 1:50 pm

Okay, then Prague.

obscure2k Sep 21, 2007 4:16 pm

Agree that Prague would be suitable for a one night visit.

Eastbay1K Sep 21, 2007 4:20 pm

London makes for a great day - arrive at 630a or so, hopefully room is available by the time you get into town @8a or so, shower, coffee, and start walking. A museum or two, buy some tea, go out for the evening, maybe a play, sleep, wake up, and back to the airport.

SanDiego1K Sep 21, 2007 5:48 pm

Milan

party_boy Sep 21, 2007 5:51 pm

Hong Kong or Taipei. No visa required, cheap transportation. Things to see and do.

Flyer_70 Sep 21, 2007 7:47 pm

Hong Kong - I think you may need a few days but Taipei - yes it is a one day-er. Can you say Taipei 101?

For Europe- Brussels and Cologne are good "one day towns". IMHO so is Amsterdam but you may get some arguments on that.

samtheman Sep 21, 2007 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by sdm1130 (Post 8441497)
New York - I live about 40 minutes outside of NYC so I have seen and done a lot here already. Plus, a flight from NYC - NYC might not make a ton of sense... :)

lga-jfk sounds like a nice route.

TravelingWookiee Sep 21, 2007 8:35 pm

I'm surprised no one's made a joke yet about One Night in Bangkok (the 1980s song).