Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best cities for 1 night visit?

Old Sep 21, 2007, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I know this will sound crazy to some and that it is not the best way to see certain parts of the world, but sometimes I like to travel internationally for a weekend (fly out Friday night and return on Sunday)! I am curious to know what you guys think are some of the best cities to visit in such a short period of time.

I'm beginning to think of some travel plans for early 2008. :
Old Sep 21, 2007, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I'm guessing the best places to visit for a day are either really lacking in things to see and do or places where you can get coke from the taxi driver as you leave the airport.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 1:18 pm

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
One night should be enough for Singapore.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 1:23 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I wouldn't say its enough time, but you could certainly cram a lot of exciting things into a short amount of time in New York or Las Vegas. No need for sleep, just non-stop fun.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
Rio/Sao Paulo!

You can fly overnight both ways, thus saving the hotel costs...

Out Friday night, land early Saturday morning, and back on Sunday night, landing early Monday morning, straight to work...
Old Sep 21, 2007, 1:29 pm

Programs: NWA world perks
vegas seems perfect for this.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I should have clarified - I am looking for International destinations. I love visiting different countries for their art, buildings, food and just general culture. Last winter I went to Cologne, Germany and felt 1 day/night was a great way to see the main sites, try some German food/beer and get a rough idea of the culture there. I figure if I do it this way, I can determine which places I'd like to go back to (for a longer trip) in the future!

Vegas - I'm not much of a partier (or gambler) so this might not be ideal for me. Although, that is on the list of a place I'd like to spend a day/night in sometime just to see all of the hotels people rant and rave about.

Rio/Sao Paulo - Sounds like a neat idea. I recall reading that a visa was needed for US travelers in Brazil. If this is the case, I think saving these cities for a longer trip would make more sense...

New York - I live about 40 minutes outside of NYC so I have seen and done a lot here already. Plus, a flight from NYC - NYC might not make a ton of sense...
Old Sep 21, 2007, 1:50 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Okay, then Prague.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 4:16 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Agree that Prague would be suitable for a one night visit.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
London makes for a great day - arrive at 630a or so, hopefully room is available by the time you get into town @8a or so, shower, coffee, and start walking. A museum or two, buy some tea, go out for the evening, maybe a play, sleep, wake up, and back to the airport.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 5:48 pm
Community Director Emerita

Milan
Old Sep 21, 2007, 5:51 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Hong Kong or Taipei. No visa required, cheap transportation. Things to see and do.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Hong Kong - I think you may need a few days but Taipei - yes it is a one day-er. Can you say Taipei 101?

For Europe- Brussels and Cologne are good "one day towns". IMHO so is Amsterdam but you may get some arguments on that.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by sdm1130
New York - I live about 40 minutes outside of NYC so I have seen and done a lot here already. Plus, a flight from NYC - NYC might not make a ton of sense...
lga-jfk sounds like a nice route.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 8:35 pm

I'm surprised no one's made a joke yet about One Night in Bangkok (the 1980s song).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.