Wiki Posts
Search

Your favorite city and why?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2009, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Your favorite city and why?

Since most of you are such seasoned travelers, I thought I'd ask:

What's your favorite city in the world and why?

I haven't traveled enough to answer, but am looking forward to your replies for future destination ideas.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, UA, Marriott PLT, Starwood
New York City - it's full of energy, always something going on, very walkable, lots of history - we always enjoy our time there.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Edinburgh, Scotland. It has a really neat mix of old and new. Also, it was the first city I got really drunk in .
Old Sep 7, 2009, 6:19 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Tokyo.

After smashing all pre-conceived notions of Japanese society learned in grade school, there are layers upon layers to discover.

I just love going back every time.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 6:40 pm

Programs: CO Gold
Hong Kong, NYC, Chicago............hell I even liked Glasgow , would love to visit again and this time spend more time in the city instead of the bars
Old Sep 7, 2009, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Buenos Aires, Argentina. Kind of like a cross between New York and Paris, but everything costs 1/3 to 1/2 as much. Except for a Steak Dinner, which costs about 1/6 as much.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Paris, because it's the most walkable big city on earth.

And while I'm walking around, I certainly don't mind the amazing boulangeries on nearly every block, great museums, incredible architecture, and fantastic food and wine. But really, the best part is just walking around....
Old Sep 7, 2009, 7:05 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
Toronto - an interesting mix of museums, great Greek food, two of my three favorite bands are from there, it's easy to walk around, public transportation is reliable, and I love shopping there.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
London - plenty of culture, history and other stuff to do, very easy to get around. Just love the city and everything about it.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
Londontown There is so much history and I just admire the buildings. In the US, everything is so new compared to the UK. I have been there enough that I have favorite restaurants, hotels, etc. and I can navigate the Tube pretty well.

I enjoy Edinburgh also, but only spent 3 days there.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:52 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
Forest City, ME. Here is why: http://wheatonslodge.com/

Edinburgh isn't bad either -- great history, interesting vegetarian food (and I am not vegetarian) and super pubs.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 2:54 am

Belgrade, Serbia.

Interesting history (from ancient to recent), full of contrasts (old vs new, run-down vs nicely renovated, rich vs poor), South-European atmosphere (i.e. quite relaxed) but a little bit rougher than Spain or Italy, amazing avantgarde arts scene, great night-life, diet based on grilled meat, very hospitable people, no tourists, cheap...
Old Sep 8, 2009, 5:43 am
Suspended

London

Originally Posted by mersk862
London - plenty of culture, history and other stuff to do, very easy to get around. Just love the city and everything about it.
I've got to agree with you - London has got so many great attractions that are really worthwhile going to and the underground is a bit of a blessing - It is easy to get around as well as being cost effective
Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:17 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Even though it's so close, I gotta say Vancouver (YVR).. It has everything I want in a city and more. Healthy vibrate feel to it, and the mountains and the ocean all in the same view. Sea planes departing in front of my hotel room in the morning, and mild weather all year around...

Because it is such a multi-cultural mecca, the restaurants are diverse and authentic. Everyone is friendly.

Beautiful city IMO.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Favourite that I've lived in: New York City
There is always something to do at any time day or night. It is a true international city full of culture, art, music, food, and just great people watching. I love the spirit of New Yorkers

Favourite that I haven't lived in: London
For many of the same reasons. From the very first time that I stepped foot in London, I've just felt "right" there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.