Wiki Posts
Search

Meeting in the Middle for Cheap

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2007, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Dividend Miles
Meeting in the Middle for Cheap

I'm trying to meet up with my fiancee in the middle of this terrible fare season. Right now, we're thinking of flying to somewhere in the middle of the country, somewhere with a fare war, and just finding a hotel there. What I can't figure out is how to find some city, X, that minimizes the total cost of SFO-X and PIT-X. Any suggestions on how to look for that? Any suggestions on sites to find fare wars?

Thank you.

-- Sal
smile.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 4:02 pm

Here's where Skybus $10 fares can come in handy. CMH is only 3 hours drive from Pittsburgh. You can experience Columbus together, or drive over to meet in Pittsburgh, or try and score some $10 tickets to Ft. Lauderdale or Boston.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 5:13 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, AA, SPG - Gold, LM
You can also try www.site59.com where they have a banner on the right-side which says "Meet Me In.... Last Minute Gateways", where 2 people from 2 different cities can meet and stay together for a holiday. Try it.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 7:05 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
I've always done well on farecompare.com
Old Jun 7, 2007, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got mine on Flyertalk.

Seriously, I was in just this situation a couple of years ago. Flights to Japan were staggeringly expensive and once in Tokyo I'd have to rent a hotel as my then fiance lived with his father.

I got a stupidly cheap business class flight to LAS thanks to FT (practically the same price as the taxes) and the Economy airfare from Tokyo to LAS was incredibly cheap for my husband. Priceline got us the hotels for a song and we had a great week together. Cost us much less than me going to Tokyo in Economy.

I think you have the right idea - just keep your eyes peeled and be opportunistic - don't forget to check the mileage run deal thread religiously (every time you log in to the internet and then some) and jump on anything suitable the moment it comes up. Find out from your fiancee what dates she can do so that you don't waste time conferring - some of the best deals go within minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.