POS Etiquette?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

POS Etiquette?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2007, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, Motel 6 Tin
POS Etiquette?

Lately, I seem to be finding myself seated next to POS (Persons of Size) more frequently.

Last week, for example, I was in the exit row aisle seat of a CRJ-700 with the window seat to my right unoccupied until...just before the cabin door was closed when a POS took the seat next to me. As best I could tell, the plane was full, and we began to push back almost immediately after he was seated.

He was easily 375-400 pounds and, although the tray table in the armrest provided some separation, his left shoulder and left arm occupied a goodly portion of "my" space, effectively forcing me to lean into the aisle the entire flight. Needless to say, I was pretty uncomfortable the entire flight.

What is the appropriate etiquette in such a situation? It seemed futile to say anything to him as his right shoulder was pinned against the cabin wall.

As I mentioned, the plane appeared to be full, so a reseating was not likely.

TIA
Old May 8, 2007, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothing can really be done in cases like this. I guess the only thing to do is deal with it.
Old May 8, 2007, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 5 MM, Delta 1.6MM & Hilton Diamond, Avis Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I know that this may be to say the least rude, but I had a TED flight in which I had a POS sitting next to me in the exit row. The man was at least 600 pounds, and one of his "rolls" rolled over the arm rest a good 2-3 inches into my seat.

When the FA came along to ask if everyone was willing and able to assist, politely I told the FA that I didn't feel comfortable with POS in the exit row as he was almost as large as the exit door hole.

A minute or two later the Purser came back and moved the POS into a non exit row and moved a regular person next to me. I really wasn't expecting for them to move the POS, I thought that the FA would reseat me and has someone else suffer next to the POS.
Old May 8, 2007, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
It's all about attitude. If the person really does try to stay in their space, they are physically unable to, the plane is full, the door is closed, and it's a relatively short flight, then I'll deal with it.

But if it's going to be a huge bother, IMHO the GA should be summoned, and in my world the POS would be the one who is moved to another flight, since they didn't buy 2 seats. In the real world, I'm probably at a better than 75% chance of the one who gets off the flight. I of course would then argue for IDB, but not push it too much. Thems the breaks.
Old May 8, 2007, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by zambonisk
The man was at least 600 pounds
600 pounds??? Come on... those are the people that make in onto Nightline. They can't get out of bed much less board an aircraft without a crane.
Old May 8, 2007, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 5 MM, Delta 1.6MM & Hilton Diamond, Avis Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by dvs7310
600 pounds??? Come on... those are the people that make in onto Nightline. They can't get out of bed much less board an aircraft without a crane.
600 really isn't that big..... the nightline people are normally 1k and not the UA type.
Old May 8, 2007, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
600 really isn't that big..... the nightline people are normally 1k and not the UA type.
I thought 1K by definition made you a UA type.

Old May 9, 2007, 12:29 am

Programs: Lots
600 really isn't that big.....
Only in America...
Old May 9, 2007, 3:02 am

Programs: AA, CO, DL, KE Morning Calm, OZ Gold, UA
... as he was almost as large as the exit door hole.
LOL, I would like to have heard that said "politely"!
Old May 9, 2007, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by Axey
Only in America...
indeed a sad result of our fastfood and twinkie obsession
Old May 9, 2007, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajthegreat
indeed a sad result of our fastfood and twinkie obsession
There were POS long before McD's and Hostess.
Old May 9, 2007, 4:15 am

Didn't Southwest have (still have??) a policy where a POS was required to buy a second seat at check in (same price as whatever they had already paid so no rip off "walk up" fares)...

Refunded if the flight wasn't full was what I heard... (As there would logically then be spare seats)

Sounds good to me....
Old May 9, 2007, 4:20 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Since this is not just specific to United, I am going to move this to TravelBuzz! where the discussion can continue.

Thanks for your understanding.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Old May 9, 2007, 6:21 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by trooper
Didn't Southwest have (still have??) a policy where a POS was required to buy a second seat at check in (same price as whatever they had already paid so no rip off "walk up" fares)...

Refunded if the flight wasn't full was what I heard... (As there would logically then be spare seats)

Sounds good to me....
Southwest has exactly this policy, and I think that Continental does too.

Here is a current thread on the topic. See my post #24 on page two for about a dozen more.
Old May 9, 2007, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Another perspective on buying two seats ...

A few years back I was stranded at O'Hare, having arrived in bad winter weather. All the ongoing flights to BOS were cancelled that day. Only one left the next day. The EXP desk got me the last seat on it - a middle, way back. (Upgrade? "Sir, do you want to get to Boston today?") There was a POS in the aisle seat on my right. He knew he was large, he did all he could to minimize the incursion, but he couldn't do much.

It was an uncomfortable two hours, but if he had bought two seats, I would have spent another day at ORD. I'd much rather be uncomfortable for two hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.