Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Sinus Pain? More like an Icepick in my Head..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sinus Pain? More like an Icepick in my Head..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2016, 3:18 pm

Yes I have this from time to time and just googled to find this thread - thank you! For me, I never had this until about 3 years ago. Now, I take two sudafed an hour before take off and usually before landing, and it generally helps. Yesterday, I had a one hour fight from SF to LA. I took the sudafed before take off but did not take more before landing and I got the ice pick to my head above my left eye and shooting down into the eye itself. Even today about 18 hours later I have a latent soreness (almost like a small bruise) above my eye at the eyebrow. Like you, I started to worry about long term impact or stroke etc, so here I am responding to this thread. I will be sure to load up on sudafed tomorrow when I fly back!
Originally Posted by MrSkyGuy
There's another thread posted here on the forums that is exactly in-line with this subject, but given the fact that it's over 5 years old I thought it best to let the sleeping dog lie and re-open the subject with just a link to the thread.

Here's the link to the thread I am referring to: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4472

The pain that this article is not your average run-of-the-mill discomfort. On a scale of 1-10, this is a solid 9.0 just below burning to death or some grisly painful exit. Imagine the person in the seat next to you taking a 6-inch icepick and driving it into your forehead just above your eye and twisting it around. Yes, it's that bad. I've searched the Internet and medical texts, and even gone so far as to seek professional medical care for it.. all came up dry. That is, until I found this thread here (linked above).

Interestingly enough, the first time I experienced this condition (not including forgotten childhood experiences) was not in an aircraft, but in a car traveling from the Ventura County area to the Bakersfield flatlands. As we drove down the hill leaving the Tejon pass into Bakersfield, a very sharp pain interrupted our relaxing drive, and began to hurt so bad that tears began streaming down my face as I pulled the car off the road. It was excruciating, and the remnants of it lasted for days afterwards.

Last week my family and I embarked on a trip to Newark on an American Airlines B757-200. With my fearful-flying wife, my 2 year old kid and I, it was bound to be a “fun” experience. Sure enough, as the plane began it's descent into the New York airspace, that pain began to creep into my forehead. One minute into the start of it, I had my face buried into my hands screaming inside for the pain to stop and begging for mercy. Embarrassed, I had my head turned towards the window with tears streaming down my face all the while my kid screaming in pain from not being able to pop her ears and my fearful wife trying to look after both of us while she dealt with her own terror. When we landed, it was gone in about 2 hours – much to my relief.

Not ready to deal with that again, I made sure to take Tylenol Cold & Sinus 2 hours before departure, and again 2 hours before landing. However, as the 757 neared the Los Angeles area, it began descending for KLAX and that pain –this time above my left eye-- began to sear. It hurt worse than anything I've ever felt before, and I'm a grown man whose flown many times in the past and recently. I honestly wondered if it was going to cause some sort of damage to my brain. It got a tiny bit better as we neared touchdown, but unlike landing in Newark I am still feeling the dull aching pressure even as I pen this post a day later. To my loving wife, thank you for overcoming your fear to give me some reassurance that my head was still attached and my eye was still in its socket. I love you, baby.

For those of you who have felt this sharp, excruciating pain you know exactly how bad it is. My sympathies. I cannot imagine how bad childbirth must feel, but as a man I believe this is as close as I will ever get to understanding.

How many of you still are experiencing this condition? Any hot-shot remedies? Tylenol Cold and Sinus didn't work at all and I'm dying to get rid of the pressure remaining from last night's flight (and the associated dizziness that's followed).
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:34 am

I'm having this pain right now . Just got off my first plane , have a connecting flight . I'm in utter shock at how bad this pain is. It is just killing me knowing I'm going to have to repeat it in just a few minutes when I board this flight . Any help or advice would be amazing
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Ignacyo Matynia
I'm having this pain right now . Just got off my first plane , have a connecting flight . I'm in utter shock at how bad this pain is. It is just killing me knowing I'm going to have to repeat it in just a few minutes when I board this flight . Any help or advice would be amazing
If it were me:

1) Get some extra strength tylenol (for the pain). And also take an Aleve if you can tolerate the NSAID's.
2) find some Afrin nasal spray.

For me, it was due to sinus pressure and the Afrin kicks in real fast vs. an oral decongestant (and the non-sudafed stuff doesn't work near as well, IMO).
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: BA,LH,LY,OK
Originally Posted by Ignacyo Matynia
Advil?

+ someone suggested hot towel inside paper cup.
i would just ask for hot water\tee inside a paper cup from some cafe place at the airport and put it next to your ears\sinuses
Old May 20, 2017, 9:41 pm

I hate bumping ancient threads usually, but this one has a special place in mine and many people's hearts (and heads!).

I've had the "icepick" migraine about 4-5 times in the last 10 years. Would always happen on ascent or descent. I'd describe it more as lightning in my brain, feeling every nerve on fire, then a headache for the rest of the day.

I took a short one hour flight this weekend, and decided to shotgun the issue beforehand.

- 2 pills of Sudafed
- 2 pills of Aleve
- Earplanes
- Chewing gum during takeoff and landing
- A snort of Afrin in each nostril
- Paying extra attention to be hydrated the night before and day of the flight

Seemed to do the trick this time. Not sure what is contributing the most and what is not, but not willing to take any chances anymore. Anyways, if registering here and posting this helps at all, I'll be happy.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.
Originally Posted by ethelioakimidis
anyone out there still have this problem?
I have experienced the "ice pick effect". It was many years ago but I have not forgotten the pain and the tears-I remember a stabbing pain in my upper teeth that was just excruciating. I have had anxiety about it ever since!

Since then, I always take guaifenesin before I fly. At first it was by prescription and now in the form of Mucinex (not the "D" or anything else-just plain Mucinex). It sounds gross but it thins the mucus and keeps everything in your sinuses flowing so there is no place for those painful air pockets to hide. It hasn't failed me.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by travelmom4
It hasn't failed me.
Originally Posted by The21stCenturyMan
if registering here and posting this helps at all, I'll be happy.
Thanks to both of you.
Your advice will help many others; it is appreciated.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:13 am

This just happened for the third time

I have a bad head cold and as we were just descending I had a stabbing kind of electrical blood vessels popping feeling. Just awful. I could not wait to land. Just a little bit of a dull ache once we landed but now it’s gone. Horrible nosebleeds the next day. I feel for anyone who’s gone through this.

Last edited by Kelly Reed; Apr 24, 2018 at 7:41 am Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:22 pm

After 15 years of suffering from this, I may have finally FOUND THE REMEDY! First, I read through the (few) threads posted around on the web, and there is many people posting different symptoms about this problem. Through my own diligent research (because it is a problem very few doctors will even recognize), this is what I have been able to figure out. The correct name is Barosinusitis. You can read a more comprehensive study here: (I cant post a link, but google "Barosinusitis: Comprehensive review and proposed new classification system")

This condition is not about feeling "ear pressure" or "stuffy head"... it is indeed the very specific "ice-pick in the head, eye-bulging, excruciating pain" that is felt in either take off or landing. For me, it began 15 years ago when I had my wisdom teeth removed. Not exactly sure why that caused it, but from that time on, every time the plane descended, the torture would be begin. Nothing during take-off or flight, just landing. And short flights (under an hour), were also no problem because the plane never flew as high. But LAX to Newark or Orlando? Forget about it. I'm basically in a plane every two weeks now, so I have tried nearly every remedy I could find. Finally, last week, I took a flight from LAX to New Orleans and back, and for the first time in 15 years...pain free! Next week to Orlando will be the real test, but this is what I have now (fingers crossed it will still work)...again, I can only speak to those who only experience pain during landing.

1. KNOW how long your flight is. Set a timer or something
2. Take a couple sniffs of Afrin before take off. I use Afrin No-Drip Extra Moisturizing Pump.
3. 80 minutes before landing take a 120 MG Pseudoephedrine (the 12 hr one) and hit the Afrin again.
4. 60 minutes before landing, insert these Ear Planes (search Amzazon for "New Super Soft Adult EarPlanes". Be aware, there are many different types of Ear Planes. I have tried many different ones, and these are the only ones that work) DO NOT wear them during the entire flight! And pop your ears before you put them in.
5. 50 Minutes before landing take 2 of the little red sudafed (60mg total) and 1000 mg Acetaminophen
6. 30 minutes before landing another Afrin just in case.
7. Enjoy the landing!
* during take-off and flight continue to pop your ears as needed so that your head doesnt become completely blocked up.

Some very important notes:
- Drink lots of water before and during your flight. Avoid coffee and soda. Must stay hydrated.
- Acetaminophen is THE ONLY (otc) pain reliever that can be used. Every other type is a NSAID which actually makes the condition worse. This was very important to learn.
- Pseudoephedrine is the only decongestant that properly opens the sinuses in this condition. If you didn't have to ask the pharmacist for it, then its the wrong one.
- you cannot wait until the plane has started to descend, you must follow the timeline. If you wait until you feel pain, there is nothing you can do. Maybe some Acetaminophen might help a little.

Over the next few months, I may get brave enough to see if there is anything I can eliminate, like the extra sudafed at the end. But then again, if it aint broke...

I have no idea if this process will work for everyone, as I can only speak to the landing condition. Ideally, surgery is recommended for those of us that suffer from it this bad. But it was a huge relief when I finally a something that worked in the meantime. After 15 years of torture, it was amazing not to have to endure that pain.

Hope this helps
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:12 pm

I just wanted to follow up to my above post, now that I have had 20-something flights to verify, in case any comes along in the future.

- Afrin not necessary. (Yay!)
- Use Saline nasal spray before, during, and descent of flight instead.
- Its basically just taking the Sudafed doses above (again, the real deal Sudafed, where you have to show your ID) at 80 mins, the acetaminophen and the earplanes 60 mins before landing.
- the condition will not arise on flights shorter than 70 minutes. The plane does not go as high and does not have to de-pressurize as fast.
** Ive found that the Earplanes become less effective after 2 flights, and I would use them no more than 3 flights before getting a new pair.

Fly safe my friends.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: BA,LH,LY,OK
Originally Posted by donnyriz
I
** Ive found that the Earplanes become less effective after 2 flights, and I would use them no more than 3 flights before getting a new pair.

Fly safe my friends.
They also note to use for only 2 flights
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:51 am

I've never heard of those. Wish I had a couple of years ago and ended up with so much pressure in my ears that I actually lost my hearing for a while. Becoming suddenly terrifying and really strange. I got to drive home from the airport in silence. Went to the Dr. the next day and she said I was really lucky. I was suffering from terrible allergies but I've flown congested before. It was a complete surprise to me how bad it was. Yes, like an icepick in my head and ears. I was holding back the tears and just burying my face in my jacket.

I think I'll order some and put them in my suitcase just so I never have to go through that hell again.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:46 am

Sinus/Dental Issues When Flying

In the past, I've had sinus/ear issues when flying. Since then, I wear Earplanes, take a Sudafed, and spray some Afrin before my flight. This usually seems to alleviate/prevent most serious issues.

About six weeks ago I had an upper molar extracted, a bone graft, sinus lift, and implant performed. Since then, I've had occasional minor discomfort in the remaining molar on that side. My surgeon and dentist both seem to think this is caused by a "sinus toothache" given the procedure that was done (which impacted my sinuses) and the fact I suffer from seasonal allergies.

So, of course my concern now a more pronounced pain when flying. Does anyone who's experienced this have any suggestions besides my usual course of action/precautions? Perhaps I'm just being overly worried for nothing.
enriquecruz8519 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: AC SE. Hilton Diamond, Marriot TI, Avis PC. Hertz PC.
Relieves me to see that I am not alone...
As I the plane descents, I get severe sharp headache on one side around sinuses..

But i cant pinpoint when and why it happens. It started in June this year on flight FRA - YYZ and it had happened ahout 40% of the time. (mostly when i was in a poor condition due to sickness or fatigue.) but today.. with good health, it happened again. I have 2 more segments of flight ahead of me.. wish me luck haha.

I read briefly that warm towel helps? Sitting in J for all my upcoming segments this month so maybe I will request hot towel as we descend ha
Old Apr 10, 2024, 3:22 pm

Did it work?

Originally Posted by Ennj
Hi again,

After speaking to a fellow traveller with the exact same symptoms, including reading replies on this topic, it seems that Sudafed and a nasal spray is the way to go. The nasal spray I was told was afrin, although this is for short term use (ie, whilst flying). As someone like myself who suffers from sinus problems, a steroid nasal spray such as fluticason for use daily should help day-to-day.

It was also recommended to 'pop' your ears (release pressure) often, throughout the flight even if there is no pain.

So, sudafed, nasal spray (afrin) and popping your ears.

bring on my flights next week.
Can I ask if this works for you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.