Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Furthest you have driven in one day

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2006, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
El Paso to Pomona, CA, 12 hours and 780 miles. Found a tune on a CD that I hadn't heard in a long time and kept playing it over and over again to keep me sane (I think )
Old Jun 7, 2006, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA GS; DL MM; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Avis First
Ugh!

Sorry,this is a pet peeve...

Further/furthest = time.

Farther/farthest = distance.

I once did 1000 between Houston and Chicago in roughly 15 hours.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:01 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
Sorry, it was El Paso to NOLA
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
A few years ago our youngest became quite ill in late August just before starting her senior college year in Iowa. Mrs. Fredd and I stayed overnight in Seattle, left early in the morning and arrived the following late afternoon in Des Moines, a distance of about 1800 miles.

After catching a very few hours sleep somewhere or other, we spent part of the second morning swerving around all of the bikers on 1-90 who were leaving at the end of the annual Sturgis rally - I hope never to see that many motorcycles again in my entire life.

The daughter recovered fully, graduated with honors, and is now gainfully employed, unlike her father.

As UA 1Ks we'd just fly now. U.S. Interstates in some of the western states are the easiest cruising highways we've seen in our travels, but anything much over 500-600 miles stops being fun at my age.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Calgary, AB to Las Vegas, NV - all in one day.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:22 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I once drove London >> Cardiff >> Plymouth >> LHR >> Lowestoft
(with business meetings in Cardiff and Plymouth).

I just checked mapquest and it looks like 670 miles.

All this with jet-lag since I had arrived from Tokyo the previous day.... frankly, it was dangerous and I apologize. (But I feel that my company was equally to blame for expecting an employee to cope with that. In retrospect I realize that I ought to have refused... actually I did quit fairly soon afterwards).

Oh, and the colleague I picked up at LHR promptly fell asleep ... thanks mate!
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by venice4504
Sorry, it was El Paso to NOLA
That makes sense. Driving on I-10 from LA into TX, one sees a sign for El Paso (something like 860 miles). It's depressing to see the 1st mile marker as "880".
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:28 pm

I've done Reno to Vancouver, BC (about a 900-mile drive) in straight shots (about 14 hours) on four or five occasions.

Mike
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:31 pm

Programs: NW, MR SE,
Back in '02, I had to swap a car with my daughter who was living in Boston. So I drove solo from Michigan starting at 5 am and drove 660 miles to Westchester County, NY in about 10 hours with 1 food, gas & pit stop in the middle. Met my daughter to swap my car with her car, took care of some business at the work, said hello to some co-workers I had not seen in a while, picked up a co-worker who lives in MI to drive back, returned the co-worker's rental car and went out to dinner before driving back home by 8 pm. We started driving back with approaching storm with me driving at 9 pm. After about 7 hours of driving through dark and rain, I let my co-worker drive the rest of the way home to arrive at about 7 am. Total distance covered was slightly over 1300 miles in 20 hours with me driving about 17 hours.
I am glad I don't have to do it again since she then came home to pick up another car to drive to Boston via I-80 taking over 15 hours THEN returned the same car month later driving through Canada taking 12 hours and about $20 in toll from Boston.
Will there be another car shuffle in this family's life? Most likely but now it'll be to DC (only 550 miles each way) since that's where she is moving to by the end of the month.

HJ
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We did Aberystwyth, Wales to St. Andrews, Scotland in a day - that's my longest in the UK. About 400 miles or so.

Longest in the US for me is Arlington to Kansas City. That was one loooong day - 1,100 miles, 17 hours. I almost called off the dogs in St. Louis at about 10PM, but decided I'd rather be in my own bed at 2AM than spend the night at the nearest Hampton Inn. So I loaded up on Dew and junk food and kept on going.

Doing KC to Duluth next week. That's about 600 miles, but with a 2-year-old in the car, it might feel like 1100.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:57 pm

Drove from Busselton to Madura (Western Australia) about 1500kms. Didn't even get out of the state. All this in an old Corolla sitting on 90kmh most of the way. Just after you leave Balladonia (about 1100kms in) there is a stretch of straight road 143 kilometres long. . Mind was defnitely playing tricks by the end of that. Love driving the Nullarbor though. ^
Old Jun 7, 2006, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I've done several long trips...
1999- Los Angeles to NY in three days. Friend and I switched driving at every gas stop. One drove, one slept.
2000- Boston to Missoula, MT three days
2000- Missoula, MT to Los Angeles in one day.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 11:33 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Portland-Las Vegas, Munich-Reggio di Calabria.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 11:51 pm

Wheeling, WV to Omaha, NE. Solo. Daylight the whole way. And I didn't even feel like I was pushing it. 900+ miles.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:05 am

Programs: SSSS Preferred, UA 1K
1500 miles on a motorcycle

~8 years ago, when I was riding motorcycles, I was inspired by the craziness of the Iron Butt Association (www.ironbutt.com) and did 1500 miles in 24 hours on a motorcycle (Sacramento to Salt Lake City and back + a few more silly miles to hit the 1500 miles), only stopping for gas and to refill a Camelbak.

My justification for doing it was a need for a part from a SLC BMW motorcycle dealer, and UPS wasn't delivering due to a strike.

I've done multiple car trips with my wife where we had 1000 mile days (usually Sacramento to southern Utah Nation Parks). We drove Chicago to Sacramento last fall with our six month old, and while I'd previously done the trip with sightseeing at 500 miles/day, we ended up averaging only ~200 miles/day -- I suspect the days of the very long roadtrips are over for now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.