Furthest you have driven in one day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Furthest you have driven in one day

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by OTD
I was struck by the fact that the way to get from one place in Canada to another involves a stretch through the U.S., so I Googled it. Sure enough, most of the trip is south of the border. Cool.
The fastest way from Boston to Detroit involves going through Canada. So it also works the other way
OTD likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
I do maintenance (oil changes) on rental cars for a national chain's local location. I just had a vehicle that was in my shop 10 days ago come back in and it had done over 3000 miles in that time.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:53 am

Over 1,000 miles in a day multiple times. Probably 4 or 5 that I can definitely remember. I've driven across the US four times and have powered through the long stretches of nothingness in order to spend more time in the good spots.

Going across TX and a day going from Grand Junction, CO to Columbia, MO were the worst. Needed a lot of good music for those. Just miles and miles of flat emptiness. But I love long road trips. I wish I could do at least one every year. Even in the nothingness there can be a lot of fun. Sometimes I'm in a rental car, but moving from Oregon last year, having my own car to drive across WY last year was great. Let's just say I drive a car that is pretty happy at high speeds.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
11 hours.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
1425 miles. Ugh. Coral Gables, FL to Palatine, IL in 1977. No AC, 55 speed limit and 20 hours. I guess that’s one day! One nasty ticket.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:44 am

Doing all the driving myself, nonstop except for fuel stops, all are from Omaha NE, to Phoenix 1,300 miles, Riggins ID 1,390 miles, Atlanta 990 miles, Pennsboro WV 950 miles.
These are all round trips, usually a day there, stay overnight, leave the next day for back home.
I can think of others but it is routine for me to drive 500 miles to somewhere, and 500 back in the same 'day'.

Most of my trips involve finding someone dumber than me 'flying' (85-90-95) on the Interstate, I latch onto them
and trail about a half-mile behind, or far enough behind that I can keep them barely in sight. I figure
if a cop is sitting with radar they will get him (or her) before me, it's worked four times. I have no tickets.

Last edited by fredman; Nov 30, 2018 at 12:49 am
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:52 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Sydney to Adelaide. Approx 1350km (~840miles).

I was young. And stupid

The drive and duration itself isn't the problem. For any Australians here who have driven the route, it takes you through the Hay Plains. And that is booooooring. Glad I had a CB radio to listen to the truckies talk.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
About 1400 miles from Atlanta, GA to Denver, CO. Left at around 6am ET (4am MT) and arrived around 10pm MT. Long day.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
This is nothing compared to many of you who posted already, but...

Same day roundtrip Sioux Falls, SD to Mt. Rushmore ~740 miles return trip.
Brutal all the way... tumbleweed and ghost towns.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Several 700, 800, and 900 mile days in the lower 48. One stretch of nearly 1,000 miles Sheridan, Wyoming to Seattle.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Back in university, we would drive from Toronto to Charlottetown, PEI (1700 km each way), a couple of times a year. The first few times, we did 18 hours straight with just a couple of gas station pit stops, but that got old pretty quickly. After that, we'd break it up with a night in Quebec City. But then I discovered the joy of flying and now I can't even imagine spending that much time in a car anymore.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Solo, 24 to 26 hours are about my limit not counting stops for fuel: Moorhead City, MN to Kennewick, Wa, about 1300 miles was the first. I 94 was not complete in Idaho, so I took US 12 from Missoula to Lewistown and the Tri Cities.
Also numerous, every three weeks, trips from Holland the central Germany to Northeast Italy, only 600 miles, but an intense 600 miles that have never been matched (flat out autobahn 110 mph, thru city centers, Munich in particular, then dark, narrow roads thru NE Italy.

With a partner:
  • NYC to Seattle, via both USA and Canada, stopping on for fuel, a three day trip, one time did for the 8 day Easter break
  • Seattle to Edmonton, for the three day Washington's birthday break, in the middle of winter, 20+ hours there, 20 hour visit with friends I'd met on the railroad, 20+ hour return.
  • Most recently, did NYC to Seattle for a wedding. It was our first trip together for me and my future wife. We were both teachers, so were working until 30 June. The wedding was in Seattle on July 4th. So we had to drive straight thru, then took a 6 weeks to return to NY via CA, and everyplace in between. This trip made up realize how compatible we were, since we talked all the time and hardly listened to the radio or our music.
Drove my boat from the Azores to Ireland, 10 days on the North Atlantic. But that's another story, which you can read about by Googling Dauntless at Sea.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: US Gold
In the late 1970s I drove cross-US numerous times. My shortest time was Connecticut to LA in 3 1/2 days. More normally if I was going to Minneapolis et al I'd do Ithaca, NY - Madison WS the first day, going via Niagara Falls - Windsor/Detroit - Chicago (timed to hit Chicago in time to hear the CBS Mystery Theater on WBBM at 8pm local time). For cross-country, same start, but turning south to pick up I-70 to St Louis and then I-44 to Tulsa. I always aimed to buy gas at Amarillo, TX, where it was the cheapest on the continent (AFAIK) and spend one night in Albuquerque so I could wake up to that wonderful blue sky and then drive across NM/AZ in daylight because the desert was my favorite part of the trip. I probably averaged 800-850 miles a day.

My longest drive at a single sitting was Minneapolis to Ithaca overnight. I had intended to stop, but it was the night when they were expecting the Iranian hostages to be released in 1979, and I stayed glued to NPR all night. Drove into Ithaca just as the bells started ringing to herald their release. I think that's a bit over 1,000 miles.

wg
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:08 pm

Spring break - Washington, DC area to Key West. I drove until reaching Homestead, FL, about 1100 miles. Left late afternoon and entered the Miami area around sunrise. A friend drove the remainder of the way. I missed the best part of the trip - US 1 to Key West - slept the whole way.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:01 pm

My family owns a wine shop and if they get a big enough order I will deliver it. Once a year a customer will buy 40-60 cases for X-mas gifts. It is about a 1200 mile drive one way from Los Angeles CA to Midland TX and takes me 16 hours just stopping for gas and bathroom.

If we count drives that take more then 24 hours. I did the 2000 miles Los Angeles CA to North Chicago, IL in about 30 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.