Search

Furthest you have driven in one day

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Sydney - Brisbane = 575 mile
Philly - Toronto = 500 mile
Philly - Asheville = 615 mile
Birmingham - Philly = 881 mile (2 hours nap at VA. I was lucky slowing down in VA, there were lots of police cars on the road at 4am)

I still love to drive & most likely will break my record soon
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:35 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
chicago-denver.....~1k mi.....14 hrs....
Old Sep 13, 2013, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
955 miles St. Louis to San Antonio with my stepgrandpa. I drove the entire way, though, Grampa just hung out & made conversation.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Tarragona - Hamburg. Just under 2000 km in 23 hours. Just stopped to pee and pump gas.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Looking back over the thread, is it any wonder that many of us consider many of the "short" flights undertaken by FTers, their tales of hassles and woe, and simply dealing with local transportation, airports, security and airlines, simply not worth the effort.

Of course, the high cost of gasoline has made long distance auto travel (in a comfortable vehicle, #1 priority) comparably less economical than it once was.

I bought my first car, a '29 Ford A 5 window coupe, on my 14th birthday, 1953, just after passing the driving test for my first DL. For those of us who came of age in the early 50s, an automobile, any automobile, and the freedom it conveyed, indelibly marked our lives. Technology? When you've set your own points, sand blasted and gapped your own plugs, learned to patch your own tubes and tires, and even undertaken a valve job on a Model A (once you learned what that little retainer clip in the tool kit was), there was no challenge to comprehend aircraft and their mechanics and operations.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 3:07 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Polomarc
No long drives in Asia or S.America???
SIN-BKK - but that wasnt over a day. Had a night in-between.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 2:25 pm

I once drove from Denver to Orlando. Took about 30 hours to drive roughly 1800 miles. I intended to make it a two day trip, but at my intended stop time I wasn't tired so I kept going. When I got tired I was only about 5 hours outside Orlando and just couldn't stop for more than a meal. I was truly wiped out when I arrived though.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 2:50 pm
Suspended

i saw a truck with alaska plates down in orlando.

with parents, green bay to florida a number of times.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

White Plains, NY to Chicago - took about 11 hours including a brief stop at a rest area in Pennsylvania for a nap.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 3:35 pm

We drove from YQB to Myrtle Beach non-stop a couple times when my sister and I were under 8. Normally that's 1160 miles, though it ended up being a little more than that the one time my parents screwed up and accidentally drove north instead of south for about an hour

The YQB-MCO or FLL drive (around 1800 miles) is a fairly common one for families around here. Leave the Friday before spring break, switch out the snowsuits for swimsuits, have the kids sleep in the car and get there late on Saturday night. It's torture for most, but the beach is worth it!
Old Sep 23, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
My fastest was Bonn - Copenhagen in my BMW 530d. Having received a call my dad was in hospital and outlook .... not good, I left at 2000 hours on a Friday evening, drove 975 km, and arrived at 0400 in time to say goodbye. Stopped only once for fuel and a quick slash. For our metrically challenged readers, that's 610 miles with an average speed of 101.5 MPH.

Longest was Copenhagen - Acquie Terme in Italy, going the long way round on the A9 to avoid traffic and road works in Germany: 1860 km (1160 mi) in around 16 hours with two drivers. In a Renault Traffic van, of all things ...
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Routinely drive Columbus-Hilton Head several times a year (700 miles). Longest one day drive probably Cincinnati-Iowa City-Cincinnati (959 miles)
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
I admit to have driven around 600 miles in a day

but I care about my own health well being and safety and also that of other road users to not even contemplate some of the crazy and id say downright illegal long journeys that some appear to boast about on this thread
What are you even talking about?
Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:20 am

Programs: US Gold • SPG Gold
Austin, TX --> Durham, NC [~1,300 miles]

Back when mini-thin's and white crosses were readily available over-the-counter at any gas station / truck stop.
Nice older lady noticed me loading up on Mountain Dew, gave me a handful.
"Take 3 of these, wait 1/2 hour 'till your hair starts tingling, take some more. You'll see..."
Well - she wasn't kidding. Tried to lay down at a NC state line rest area - no sleep possible.
Went straight to what was then 7th Street in Durham, ordered several double bourbon's.
Not to worry - house was right around the corner so I left the car.

With a co-pilot I've done Denver, CO <-> Durham, NC non-stop both ways. Ah... to be young [& dumb] again.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: CC Concierge,HH Diamond, Melia: Platinum, Hyatt : Platinum, Hertz: Gold
Furthest you have driven in one day

Antwerp - pula : 1400km.
About 1000 km, 3 times a year to ski.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.