Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need a destination advise to travel to from SFO with 8 month old in August

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Need a destination advise to travel to from SFO with 8 month old in August

I am looking for some travel advice from you all. It will be first vacation after our little one's birth. We wanted to have an enjoyable vacation. We have a 6 year old too. We can fly out from SFO/SJC and I'd like to use UA/BA/AA/Delta miles & SPG points for this trip and totally not sure where to.

I am NOT interested in any of Hawaiian Islands nor LA or San Diego. Cancun sounds interesting but I am yet to explore more details.

Any trip suggestions.
I don't know where to post this since I am open to cross-country.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 9:14 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

Given the parameters are so broad, it is hard to give solid advice, but I would look to go somewhere that isn't too hot in August to really enjoy being outdoors with the little one. A resort with a nice pool and other on site amenities sounds like a good plan. You may have to narrow your destinations a little more to get really detailed advice, but I would keep things simple for your first trip with two kiddos. Have a great time no matter where you end up going!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 9:27 pm

Not sure why you're dismissing Hawaii, bad experience? I think the best baby-friendly vacation we ever took was to go to the Four Seasons Haulalai in Hawaii. Extremely kid-friendly, even to the point of portable cribs poolside. And extremely easy to get mileage seats direct from SFO. 6-year-old is perfect for the "kids club" as well.

I find that much more palatable than Cancun given the possibility of medical issues with the infant, etc. And Hualalai much more palatable than any resort I've been to in Mexico. No SPG though.

I've heard there are properties in Fiji where you get a full-time nanny, but no firsthand experience there. Flight wise a lot more remote than Cancun.

It seems silly given your SFO location to hike cross-country for a beach vacation to the Caribbean, which generally I've found inferior and mainly of interest to those east-coasters who don't want to take the long flights to Hawaii.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Check out Clubmed Sandpiper in FL. Geared towards family with children of all ages, they even have on-site child care facility. You can drop your infant there while your 6-year old enjoys in the kids club giving you and your SO can have some personal time.

Trust me, you will not regret it. No worries about going to another country and worrying about child care standards and health issues. Every penny well spent!

Closest airport is West Palm Beach (PBI) served by all major airlines. You can even fly into MIA or FLL and drive up to Sandpiper.

I know how it can be as I am very much in a similar position. This resort was recommended to us by one of our good friends who have 3 children of varying ages. You don't need to look any further, if you can shell out some $$$.

One thing I especially like about this place is that it is an all-inclusive resort with plenty of activities for children and adults of all ages. I would be happy to provide more information if you would be interested. Just send me an email or PM.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:06 pm

I love a beach vacation, but hot, sweaty, sandy baby was never a favorite of mine. Florida, Hawaii and Cancun, can all be very hot in August.

Haven't been there myself, but there is a resort in Jamaica with the personal nanny thing that is quite reasonable. Again HOT.

Fiji (or another southern hemisphere location) is a lot more mild in August if you want a beach and really want to be on a plane that long.

What about Alaska? We did a cruise there with a 6 month old and it was wonderful.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Innerloop
Not sure why you're dismissing Hawaii, bad experience? I think the best baby-friendly vacation we ever took was to go to the Four Seasons Haulalai in Hawaii. Extremely kid-friendly, even to the point of portable cribs poolside. And extremely easy to get mileage seats direct from SFO. 6-year-old is perfect for the "kids club" as well.

I find that much more palatable than Cancun given the possibility of medical issues with the infant, etc. And Hualalai much more palatable than any resort I've been to in Mexico. No SPG though.

I've heard there are properties in Fiji where you get a full-time nanny, but no firsthand experience there. Flight wise a lot more remote than Cancun.

It seems silly given your SFO location to hike cross-country for a beach vacation to the Caribbean, which generally I've found inferior and mainly of interest to those east-coasters who don't want to take the long flights to Hawaii.
Thanks first of all. We have been to Hawaii numerous times & we really would like a break from Hawaii. Having said that Hawaii will be our winter destination I didn't think about the medical issues involved. Good point & certainly will consider & try to stay within US or Canada. Speaking about Canada, any good place that u recommend?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amybd
I love a beach vacation, but hot, sweaty, sandy baby was never a favorite of mine. Florida, Hawaii and Cancun, can all be very hot in August.

Haven't been there myself, but there is a resort in Jamaica with the personal nanny thing that is quite reasonable. Again HOT.

Fiji (or another southern hemisphere location) is a lot more mild in August if you want a beach and really want to be on a plane that long.

What about Alaska? We did a cruise there with a 6 month old and it was wonderful.
Fiji sounds great. Hope there is a SPG property there. I guess that'd be little long flight. We were in Alaska last summer. Key West/ Jamaica would be too hot. Thanks a lot. Getting more ideas.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jeelele
Check out Clubmed Sandpiper in FL. Geared towards family with children of all ages, they even have on-site child care facility. You can drop your infant there while your 6-year old enjoys in the kids club giving you and your SO can have some personal time.

Trust me, you will not regret it. No worries about going to another country and worrying about child care standards and health issues. Every penny well spent!.

I know how it can be as I am very much in a similar position. This resort was recommended to us by one of our good friends who have 3 children of varying ages. You don't need to look any further, if you can shell out some $$$.

One thing I especially like about this place is that it is an all-inclusive resort with plenty of activities for children and adults of all ages. I would be happy to provide more information if you would be interested. Just send me an email or PM.
Thanks a lot. Sounds fun. I prefer to use my SPG points & 10 upgrade nights to a good use hopefully.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Have you been to Vancouver, British Columbia before? Very nice weather in August, easy flight from SFO and public transit is stroller-friendly (bus / subway).
Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gglave
Have you been to Vancouver, British Columbia before? Very nice weather in August, easy flight from SFO and public transit is stroller-friendly (bus / subway).
Wow, thank u for this. Never been to Vancouver, would really like to go there. One of the places we were thinking about it. I thought late August weather could be cold. Is it not? Should I go to Victoria for couple of days or just Vancouver? Do I need a rental car if I stay in Downtown?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: UA, NW
Vancouver and Victoria basically have the same climate as the U.S. Pacific Northwest, which means that it's usually warm and dry with plenty of sunshine. The scenery is spectacular, and Vancouver has all the big city attractions with a strong Asian admixture. Victoria has an English ambiance, and the ferry between the two cities takes you through some lovely scenery.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by soap_bubbles
I thought late August weather could be cold.
No, not at all. In fact, it will probably be warmer than San Francisco!

Is it not? Should I go to Victoria for couple of days or just Vancouver?
Well, depending on how much time you have you could easily do both - But I would say if you have to pick one, pick Vancouver.

Do I need a rental car if I stay in Downtown?
Not really, although you might want one for the day for some destinations that are harder on public transit, like Grouse Mountain. The drive up to Whistler is also quite spectacular, and you'd want a car for that.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksandness
Vancouver and Victoria basically have the same climate as the U.S. Pacific Northwest, which means that it's usually warm and dry with plenty of sunshine. The scenery is spectacular, and Vancouver has all the big city attractions with a strong Asian admixture. Victoria has an English ambiance, and the ferry between the two cities takes you through some lovely scenery.
Thanks for the info. Ok very much tuned towards Vancouver and Victoria. We will plan to do 7-8 days in total. Probably 5 nights in Vancouver & 2 in Victoria. SPG properties are available too
Old Mar 29, 2012, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gglave
No, not at all. In fact, it will probably be warmer than San Francisco!

Well, depending on how much time you have you could easily do both - But I would say if you have to pick one, pick Vancouver.

Not really, although you might want one for the day for some destinations that are harder on public transit, like Grouse Mountain. The drive up to Whistler is also quite spectacular, and you'd want a car for that.
Thanks for that. I can do Whistler with over night stay there I guess. The pictures looks beautiful.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 4:35 pm

Thanks for the info. Ok very much tuned towards Vancouver and Victoria. We will plan to do 7-8 days in total. Probably 5 nights in Vancouver & 2 in Victoria. SPG properties are available too
With 7-8 days you could easily do Vancouver, Victoria & Whistler.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.