Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Wouldn't aircraft balance be improved if First Class were in the back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 12:40 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member

Airplanes can become unstable with too much weight in the rear and not enough in the front. First class sections carry less passenger weight per linear foot than coach sections.

Wouldn't airplanes be safer if airlines located business and first classes at the rear of the aircraft rather than at the front? To preserve boarding and exit convenience for premium passengers, the aircraft could be boarded from the rear door rather than the front.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nsx
Airplanes can become unstable with too much weight in the rear and not enough in the front. First class sections carry less passenger weight per linear foot than coach sections.

Wouldn't airplanes be safer if airlines located business and first classes at the rear of the aircraft rather than at the front? To preserve boarding and exit convenience for premium passengers, the aircraft could be boarded from the rear door rather than the front.
How are you proposing to board an aircraft from the rear door when at a gate? This only works when at a remote stand. The impracticality of pulling a plane up to the gate butt first was just discussed on another thread.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 1:34 pm

I haven't seen any airport terminal air bridges connecting to the aft aircraft entry doors.
You would have the FC/BC passengers walk down from the air bridge, then on to the ramp, then up the portable stairs to the aft entry door?
FC and BC passengers would be safer seating in the back if there was a accident tho.
FC train passengers in India are seated in the last section of the train which makes then safer.

Last edited by Galileo787; Oct 12, 2016 at 1:41 pm
Old Oct 12, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: Independent
Actually this is a know issue. But not the way you think. With the development of fancier first class and business class seating, some older aircraft are being pushed beyond their weight limits and thus are not able to fly with full loads, likewise the weight and balance issue is distorted, meaning airlines need to readjust cargo and baggage. Fortunately this is being thought about in the designs for newer aircraft.

The rear of the aircraft is both noisier and subject to more movement during turbulence as well. In the old days of turboprops, first was often located in the back, as that was a quieter section.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
Wouldn't airplanes be safer if airlines located business and first classes at the rear of the aircraft rather than at the front?
I'm pretty sure, that Boeing and Airbus take into account on how the aircraft is going to be configured. Beoing/Airbus will take the usual cabin configuration into account when developping the aircraft and depending on that move the wings, wingbox and main gear either more to the front or the back. Moreover, they can move heavy equipment (e.g. air conditioning, avionics bay, Toilet tank system, etc...) to the front to balance the plane.

Originally Posted by nsx
To preserve boarding and exit convenience for premium passengers, the aircraft could be boarded from the rear door rather than the front.
Over-wing jet bridges have been in use at some airports, but are generally dismissed as being to expensive and risky to operate. KL sometimes use them in AMS.

Backing in a 80x80 widebody is pretty much a no-go. It would be like parking a car while blindfolded and without assistance of anybody.

Originally Posted by Galileo787
I haven't seen any airport terminal air bridges connecting to the aft aircraft entry doors.
Amsterdam has over the wing jet bridges, but I haven't seen them in action that often. Furthermore they don't seem to work with every aircraft type.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
When I've had to move due to W&B issues, it's always been towards the back. So the premise that planes are tail heavy isn't true, IME.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 3:13 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Galileo787
FC train passengers in India are seated in the last section of the train which makes then safer.
How does this work? Do Indian trains always travel in the same direction and turn around via loops or turntables or do they swap round the carriages whenever a train needs to reverse etc?

For Virgin trains in the UK, first class is usually seated towards London.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
When I've had to move due to W&B issues, it's always been towards the back.
Just out of curiosity: What airplane was it?

I've been moved due to W&B issues as well, but those situation occurred in my case on turboprops, that did not carry specific First/business class seats.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:12 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Just out of curiosity: What airplane was it?

I've been moved due to W&B issues as well, but those situation occurred in my case on turboprops, that did not carry specific First/business class seats.
Blocking forward rows of seats on ERJ-170, ERJ-190 and sometimes A319/A320 aircraft with low expected loads for W&B is quite common on BA for example.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:00 am

Given the cargo carried Id suggest the LEAST critical factor for W&B is people and seats...
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:52 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Cloudship
In the old days of turboprops, first was often located in the back, as that was a quieter section.
Still is, on ATRs - you board from the back on those.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
But surely the sort of people who travel business or First want to be in front of other people. That's what status is all about.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:54 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
But surely the sort of people who travel business or First want to be in front of other people. That's what status is all about.
Some do, some don't. Perhaps that's why BA's herringbone layout is so popular?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by nux
Blocking forward rows of seats on ERJ-170, ERJ-190 and sometimes A319/A320 aircraft with low expected loads for W&B is quite common on BA for example.
Easyjet too, but they block seats towards the front so they can use only the front baggage hold for quicker loading/unloading
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by nux
Many small planes, but also those listed plus many instances of lightly-loaded AA Mad Dogs. E70/90/MD all had F cabins.

I don't think I've even seen W&B issues on widebodies, so no idea which direction they move people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.