FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Do you take hotel toiletries ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/357801-do-you-take-hotel-toiletries.html)

CMK10 Sep 8, 2009 4:59 pm

I took some Best Western Panteen Pro V "Conditioning Shampoo" this very morning! :D

EOS Sep 8, 2009 6:35 pm

DONATION

Originally Posted by ksandness (Post 12301924)
I take the unused ones and donate them to my church's meal program for homeless and low-income youth.

This casts a whole new light on the subject.

blenz Sep 8, 2009 8:14 pm

As long as the quality is OK, I'll take a decent shampoo or lotion. We have a guest house and they come in handy. I've never taken a shower-cap though.

soitgoes Sep 8, 2009 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by blenz (Post 12351027)
I've never taken a shower-cap though.

I use the shower caps to cover the bottom of my shoes when I pack them in a suitcase, so I often take shower caps.

And, no, I don't feel the least bit guilty doing so.

beckoa Sep 8, 2009 10:34 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by soitgoes

I've never taken a shower-cap though.

I use the shower caps to cover the bottom of my shoes when I pack them in a suitcase, so I often take shower caps.

And, no, I don't feel the least bit guilty doing so.

Hmm... So there is a use for them after all- :p

Thanks for the idea :cool:

Ichinensei Sep 9, 2009 10:52 am

As long as the quality is OK, I'll take a decent shampoo or lotion. We have a guest house and they come in handy. I've never taken a shower-cap though.

I take the shampoo if it smells good. I took some in Japan - lavender ones. Other than that, I normally just leave it there. I took a razor ones also.

loopies Sep 9, 2009 10:27 pm

I got charged for taking some

I took this amazing peach scented body wash and lotion from the Fairmont Sonoma CA - then they charged me $17 on my Visa after I left!! There was nothing in the room to say there was a charge for taking the toiletries - only a sign that said they were available for purchase in the gift shop. The sizes were larger than normal hotel toiletries but $17 - come on!!

stimpy Sep 10, 2009 1:56 am

Originally Posted by loopies (Post 12357500)
There was nothing in the room to say there was a charge for taking the toiletries - only a sign that said they were available for purchase in the gift shop.

"Available for purchase" is hotel-speak for saying it isn't free. They do the same thing on the robes. if you see a sign like that, you should know you will be charged, heavily, for taking that item. And $17 isn't that much. I've seen some bath items at high end hotels for sale in stores for over $100.

htb Sep 10, 2009 5:21 am

I took this amazing peach scented body wash and lotion from the Fairmont Sonoma CA - then they charged me $17 on my Visa after I left!! ...

That's where the smaller bottles from your previous 0-star hotel stay come in handy: remove unwanted contents, refill with better contents. Since the chargeable bottle is left, there won't be a charge. ;)

HTB.

crazzycat Sep 10, 2009 7:07 am

I usually don't do that way but once i did so:rolleyes:

EOS Sep 10, 2009 3:26 pm

Now it's stealing

Originally Posted by htb (Post 12358352)
That's where the smaller bottles from your previous 0-star hotel stay come in handy: remove unwanted contents, refill with better contents. Since the chargeable bottle is left, there won't be a charge. ;)

HTB.

ERR...no thanks. Now it's bad karma.

htb Sep 11, 2009 8:57 am

Originally Posted by EOS (Post 12361650)
ERR...no thanks. Now it's bad karma.

I'm ambivalent about this. Would the hotel throw out the bottle that a customer started to use? Then it would be rather bad style to charge the customer for taking it along. Do they let the next person use a half-empty bottle? Or do they actually refill the bottles?

HTB.

ORDnHKG Sep 11, 2009 11:24 am

There was nothing in the room to say there was a charge for taking the toiletries - only a sign that said they were available for purchase in the gift shop. The sizes were larger than normal hotel toiletries but $17 - come on!!

I am sure there is another set in smaller bottles in the bathroom for free, unless the housekeeping did a lousy job and forget to put in there. I can't see one hotel so cheap require you to bring your own toiletries, even a cheap Motel 6 or Super 8 will give you the basic shampoo and soap.

It is just like W, the Bliss normal sink size pack in the bathroom is complimentary, but bigger bottles of Bliss are placed in the living room for purchase. There is no sign there it cost for you to take, but you know better they are treated as one of the mini bar items. And if you take one of the bigger bottles or tubes, it cost around $30.

Bottom line, if you are not sure, why not call and ask before you take it? I always ask if the bottles of water is free or not if I don't see a sign there. (most of the time it is, but I still call to confirm in case housekeeping forget to put the sign)

Ichinensei Sep 11, 2009 9:48 pm

I took this amazing peach scented body wash and lotion from the Fairmont Sonoma CA - then they charged me $17 on my Visa after I left!! There was nothing in the room to say there was a charge for taking the toiletries - only a sign that said they were available for purchase in the gift shop. The sizes were larger than normal hotel toiletries but $17 - come on!!

Next time, bring your own container, and pour the shampoo/body wash into the container :D

Podcat Sep 11, 2009 10:15 pm

What kind of question is that? :D

It's a hobby not without drawbacks:

1) Sometimes I feel silly (but only sometimes)
2) Looking at boxes and bags full of unused amenities from 2007, I feel silly
3) Most of them, I don't even really like
4) The ones that I do like (orange-clove bath gel from Venetian) run out quick and then I can't get them again

Or advantages:

1) The make lovely gifts. I "amenitize" guest baths of friends when visiting
2) Donating boxfulls to homeless shelters feels good as I'm told their perfectly suited

Favorite comment ever was from an ex-girlfriend accompanying me to Bellagio. She produced an empty suitbag.

"What's that for?" I asked.

"To facilitate looting!"