Wiki Posts
Search

Question Regard Fiji

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2003, 2:13 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Question Regard Fiji

Although this is not a trip report I thought it safe to post here. I hope I'm right. For anyone who has been to Fiji, is 2 weeks there to long? Any recommendation?

Thank you so much to everyone for the great information.

[This message has been edited by birdyy (edited 05-22-2003).]
Old May 22, 2003, 12:16 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by birdyy:
Although this is not a trip report I thought it safe to post here. I hope I'm right. For anyone who has been to Fiji, is 2 weeks there to long? Any recommendation?</font>
No way, I've spent most of my time in Fiji in the worst part of the country - Suva - and I loved it. Fiji pisses all over Bali from a great height. Where are you planning to stay?

One of the best things about going to Fiji is flying Air Pacific - a top-class airline.

Old May 22, 2003, 12:46 am
Original Member
Original Poster

I plan to fly Air Pacific so that's great to know and will be staying at the Sheraton Royal Denarau Resort (or one of the other Sheratons). I was worried that 2 weeks there might be to long so I really appreciate the information.

For anyone who has stayed at one of the 3 Sheratons, any favorite, recommendations?

Old May 22, 2003, 12:59 am

Better answers will be forthcoming on TravelBuzz, so I'm relocating the thread there.

Thanks
Sean (B747-437B)

Trip Reports
Old May 22, 2003, 12:59 am

Programs: UAL, Marriott, Skymiles, AAdvantage, trueBlue, Starwood Preferred Guest, Hyatt,Leaders Club, Alaska
If you are going to piss on Bali, we need reasons. Of course if you are into lying on the beach all day drinking mai tais..then never mind.

------------------
Take the road less traveled...but only if it means more miles.
Old May 22, 2003, 2:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
Fiji still has not attracted Al Qaida's attention.
Old May 22, 2003, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
Anyone stayed at the Castaway island resort?

Experiences?

And how is J class on Air Pacific?
Old May 22, 2003, 11:30 am

Location: Oz, Wales, Fiji. AirNZ Gold Elite, Virgin Australia Platinum, Qantas Gold, Hyatt and IHG Platinum.
Hi birdyy

I spend about half the year in Fiji so I hope I can answer your question. IMHO 2 weeks is definately not too long in Fiji (which is a fantastic country) but it is too long at the Sheraton. See if you can get a deal for a week or a week and a half on one of the islands (Vomo Island Resort, Matamanoa Island Resort and Navini Island Resort would be my recommendations in the Sheraton price range). Alternately, go for a 4 or 7 day cruise with Blue Lagoon - I went in 2000 and it was absolutely fantastic. There is nothing wrong with the Sheraton, you'll have a relaxing stay, but it lacks character and the whole of Denerau (the area it is in) is actually reclaimed swamp - it's been nicely landscaped etc. but the beach is not natural (the sand was brought in from somewhere else) and the water does not have the tropical blue look because there is no sandy bottom. If I were you I'd go for about 5 days or so and then head out to one of the islands or on the cruise. Better beaches, nicer people, fantastic diving and snorkeling, more relaxing, etc. etc. you'll have a fantastic time

Cheers, Zac

P.S. here are some websites that you may find helpful...
Fiji Visitors Bureau (descriptions of all the hotel options)
Vomo Island Resort
Matamanoa Island Resort
Navini Island Resort

[This message has been edited by Zaco (edited 05-22-2003).]
Old May 22, 2003, 12:03 pm

Yes, definitely go and spend time out on one of the islands. It is such a better experience than just staying at a resort like you would anywhere else in the world. Last time I was there was for 10 days, and I wished it had been longer!
Old May 22, 2003, 9:31 pm

I flew J class LAX-NAN on Air Pacific, and it was okay...not great, but better than coach. It was on the 767 going, 747-200 returning. Flying in the bubble was fun, but the service, meals and [lack of] entertainment made it substandard relative to QF and AA for sure.

...since you asked.

BTW - if you're staying 2 weeks I'd recommend a week or so on a live-aboard sailing ship, or on a scuba live-aboard. I did a 3-day trip on a Captain Cook (I think) boat and it was quite nice....stayed in grass huts on a pretty rustic island for the 2 nights while away.

It was right after the coup though so the hotels were dead...made it tough to get basic services, etc.

IMHO, 2 weeks may be a bit long. Have fun either way.
Old May 23, 2003, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by workin_it:
but the service, meals and [lack of] entertainment made it substandard relative to QF and AA for sure.
</font>
Strangely, the 738 BC cabin seem quite nice:
http://www.airpacific.com/holiday/tabuaclass.cfm

BC fares YVR-HNL r/t run from as low as CAD 1,832
Old May 24, 2003, 9:09 pm

Fiji is wonderful and I do not think 2 weeks is too much.
I could have easily stayed 2 weeks...or longer when I was there.
Old May 26, 2003, 9:52 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SIN1K:
If you are going to piss on Bali, we need reasons. Of course if you are into lying on the beach all day drinking mai tais..then never mind.
</font>
I'm not going to piss on Bali, I wouldn't do that if it was on fire. Horrible place, better than Jakarta, but still horrible. The best way to see Bali is looking out your window on departure. The best way to see Jakarta is through that little viewer on the right-hand side of an F-111.

J on Air Pacific's 737 & 767 aircraft is great, no fancy IFE (you get a portable video player with a selection of movies), but most frequent J pax have a laptop handy these days for their own choice of DVDs, Civ III, offline usenet or whatever pushes your buttons. The food is excellent & always fresher than the average single-serve airline meal. Can't fault the staff.

The only thing better than J on Air Pacific is J on QF when you board for departure from any part of Indonesia. Only time I've ever felt like kissing the floor of a 747.....

Old May 26, 2003, 10:20 pm

Spent 3 weeks in Nadi once & all at the Sheraton Resort.
Wonderful place if you have kids - the Fijians will look after them quite happily. Almost forgot I was working. Everytime I go back someone there personally greets me. I've heard the island stays are wonderful.

The J on Air Pacific's B737NG a/c are very comfortable & they're now flying the B744's that were originally on lease to AN by SIA. When AP gets the A332 it'll be as nice as Aircalin's A332's.
Old May 26, 2003, 10:24 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

redrat - which Sheraton was it? It's hard to know which of the three to pick. Thanks for the great info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.