Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Cyprus for Christmas ...... worth pencilling that in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2002, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

I have spent both Christmas and New Year somewhere interesting overseas for 25 years in a row. After a while you really do start to run out of 'new' places.

Anyway, this year thought Cyprus might be interesting. Weather does not seem TOO bad that time of year.

We would fly KLM Biz Class which involves 24 hours of flights to AMS, and few hours backtracking to Cyprus. Seems like the Hilton there is 'the only five star hotel in Nicosia', (well so their website says!) and 5 nights will only run 66,000 Hilton points Dec 1-31 which is darn cheap.

1. Anyone been there to Cyprus that time of year.. i.e does anything much go on there for NYE etc?

2. Seems like it is real close to Turkey, Syria and Lebanon, like 50 miles or so from either and not much further to northern Israel. Any idea of which is easiest to get to by boat? Beirut would be interesting for a day or so, and Damascus if you can get there from Beirut. Any input on those?

3. Anyone stayed at that Hilton?

------------------
~ Glen ~ Calling all United 1K Members - please join .. www.1Kflyers.com
Old Mar 15, 2003, 6:43 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I would like to know the answer myself, Glen. The only difference is that I plan on going for a couple of days in a couple of months instead of at Christmas time.
Old Mar 16, 2003, 11:22 am

I usually go to Paphos in late November, weather is usually 20 - 24 C and dry. As for 5 star Hotels there are a few in Cyprus but their prices can be well over what you'd expect elsewhere.

I usually stay in a " villa " on a complex with a pool that relations own. You may try a short rental on something like this as they let their 2 bed 2 bath apartment which kitchen and diner for around 76 CYP a week though the winter months.

As for trips to the Middle east there are several that run from Limmasol by boat or a day trip to Egypt to see the Pyramids flies out of Paphos on a Tuesday as I recall.

Nigel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.