Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Richmond, Virginia - Restaurants, Sites

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2001, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Richmond, Virginia - Restaurants, Sites

I will be spending a couple days in Richmond in June and would appreciate any suggestions for nice (not necessarily high end) restaurants to try.

Also . . . is the Petersburg Natl Park battlefield site worth visiting as opposed to spending a day at the Museum of the Confederacy and other in-town sites?

Old Apr 21, 2001, 6:21 pm

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
It's been a while since I was in Richmond, but they did have some great resturants.

Frog & Redneck--
Havana 51

Are two that I have gone to and enjoyed both
Old Apr 23, 2001, 9:24 am

Richmond has tons of great restaurants. Some of my favorites include:

MammaZu - fantastic and very authentic italian (service with an attitude at times, but it's worth it)

Bottoms Up - the best pizza in Richmond, a slice is enough for two meals for me.

Havana 59 - Cuban with a great atmosphere

Millies Diner - doesn't look like much from the outside but the food is upscale and delicious, fantastic desserts

Strawberry Street Cafe - great neighborhood type restaurant in the Fan district

Joe's Inn - your basic spaghetti place that has a huge local following, you must try the Spaghetti ala Greek

Legend Brewery - Richmond's best microbrew, great view from the deck and yummy food.

All are very reasonably priced (or I wouldn't be able to visit them on a regular basis). I could name many more, e-mail me if you want more details.

BTW - I believe Frog and the Redneck has closed, Jimmy Sneed was ready to move on to something new.
Old Apr 23, 2001, 9:27 am

Forgot to answer the question about Petersburg. Can't speak to the battlefield haven't been there since high school (many, many moons ago), however there is some great stuff in town to check out. Hollywood Cemetery is a "do not miss" . . . two presidents and many Civil War heros are buried there.
Old Apr 23, 2001, 10:18 am
geo1004

hokiefan:

Great recommendations. I love MammaZu's and Millie's Dinner. Joe's Inn is great as well.

While the DC area has a great selection of worldwide cuisines, Richmond beats it any day of the week in terms of the neighborhood family restaurant. Places like Joe's, Buddy's, Mamma-Zu's and Millie's are hard to find here.

Old Apr 24, 2001, 1:18 pm

A lot of good restaurants, unfortunately the Frog and Redneck just closed last month.

I'd say go to Strawberry Street Cafe (casual but delicious), Legends if you like microbrew beer (food is only okay, but great atmosphere and perfect weather for the deck). Sine's (upscale irish pub) has very good food and nice Guiness on tap, as well as a deck but no view.

If you wind up in the west end, don't miss the Grass Hut, which has fantastic Amerasian (but not as good as when it was downtown and had a bigger menu!)

Finally, my new love is Avenue 805 (805 North Davis Avenue, in the fan, hidden behing the Pizza Hut). Fantastic food, not expensive (but not cheap either). Really good menu variety for vegetarians, fish, meat, pasta, etc. Everything I've had there is good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.