FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Anyone starting to cancel September trips? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/2017313-anyone-starting-cancel-september-trips.html)

lhrsfo Jul 28, 2020 3:15 am

Still eyeing an Italian trip in mid-September but the second wave in Spain is very concerning. So far, it does seem that the second waves are in regions which weren't hit too badly first time around, so perhaps my Italian adventure needs to be re-directed to northern Italy.

Taikucing Jul 28, 2020 7:02 am

Cancelled my august trips, thankfully we have nothing after August. The last one to cancel was airbnb booking.

pinniped Jul 28, 2020 7:46 am

I almost wonder if the travel industry will adapt to new norms around flexibility even after the pandemic ends.

For many trips/routes, there were two choice pre-pandemic: a very inflexible ticket, either not changeable at all or with a draconian penalty that often rendered the ticket useless if changed - or - a fully refundable ticket at an extremely high price, one so high that most corporate travelers don't even buy it.

There wasn't much in between, at least not on the major global alliance carriers. Regional players like Southwest and others have some better options.

I wonder if we'll just go right back to that later this year, or if some sort of new model will emerge.

It's probably going to be a full year or more before I'm willing to commit to a major booking that involves cash out of pocket that doesn't have good protections. (And no, I don't think airlines trying to push third-party travel insurance is the answer except perhaps in markets where travel insurance is very well regulated and trusted.)

FlyerEC Jul 28, 2020 9:08 am

All September trips cancelled as there are no flights to begin with . Short ones to where I was hoping to visit in order to check / test my “ survivability “ tactics onboard ;)
From what I have been told , meals are a far cry from what we are accustomed to and not to expect the same levels of service .

Even contemplating road trips but with borders closed where we are , even that is not possible .

ravenalive Jul 28, 2020 10:03 am

Canceled trip to France in September. Main reason for going was an event that has been canceled. Plus I had paid a premium to book nonstop flights and the airline canceled those, put us on flights with a layover instead — I am not paying premium fare for a flight that isn’t nonstop. Waiting to see whether AirBnB extends their full refund policy into Sept — currently it only applies if the stay begins before the end of August. I assume they will have to extend that. We’re from the U.S. — currently, of course, we wouldn’t even be allowed to enter France.

darthbimmer Jul 29, 2020 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 32564225)
For many trips/routes, there were two choice pre-pandemic: a very inflexible ticket, either not changeable at all or with a draconian penalty that often rendered the ticket useless if changed - or - a fully refundable ticket at an extremely high price, one so high that most corporate travelers don't even buy it.

That's a good point. The cost difference between cheapest and fully flexible tickets is routinely so extreme that it's more cost effective to buy cheapest and pay a change fee if you have to cancel. Heck, paying several change fees is cheaper than the price difference I usually see. I've been in travel jobs since 2004 and have never been instructed to buy a fully refundable ticket. My partner has picked up regional travel responsibilities in her current & previous jobs, and instructions from her executives have consistently been, "Fly Southwest whenever possible because you can book the best-available fare early and pay no penalties if you have to change or cancel."

Super Mario Aug 2, 2020 8:30 am

Actually making new (or replacement) plans for September and October. Cruising and international travel just seems out of the question for the foreseeable future. As those plans go away, they are being replaced with domestic "low-key" travel. Those will work for me just fine in the interim. No way I'm going to cancel any and all travel until a TBD date.

enviroian Aug 2, 2020 12:33 pm

Cancel? I"m starting to book mine.

Desirees Aug 2, 2020 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 32576420)
Cancel? I"m starting to book mine.

Tell us about your plans. I have now booked flights for India in Jan.

enviroian Aug 2, 2020 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Desirees (Post 32576488)
Tell us about your plans. I have now booked flights for India in Jan.

England in two weeks. England plus Turkey in November. England over Christmas.

LtKernelPanic Aug 2, 2020 5:13 pm

I'm actually optimistic that my trip may happen after all provided the friends I plan on visiting are okay with having me visit. I'd say the odds are closer to 50/50 now.

ravenalive Aug 2, 2020 10:18 pm

@enviroian — I thought UK is still imposing 14 day quarantine on anyone entering from US. Is that not correct?

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Aug 3, 2020 5:25 am

I'm still traveling although only US. Given what's happening any plans for Europe or Australia are off until current problems go away. I don't see this happening anytime soon. In fact I see COVID 19 being used as a political football in the US for years to come.

Out of interest are the quarantines in Europe being enforced? There are many in the US but so far I've seen zero enforcement, probably because there is not the manpower to do so.

enviroian Aug 3, 2020 5:27 am

Originally Posted by ravenalive (Post 32577293)
@enviroian — I thought UK is still imposing 14 day quarantine on anyone entering from US. Is that not correct?

yes. 14 day shelter in place or wherever I leave England. Whatever is shorter.

I have family there