FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   No one wants the middle seat on airplanes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1979092-no-one-wants-middle-seat-airplanes.html)

vanillabean Jul 18, 2019 5:13 pm

No one wants the middle seat on airplanes

I wonder if United is looking into Molon Labe Seating’s new seat design.

"It's still going to suck. Now it's going to suck less."

No one wants the middle seat on airplanes. This design could change that
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/airplane-middle-seat-design-trnd/index.html

mahasamatman Jul 18, 2019 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by vanillabean (Post 31318695)

The article makes no sense. Put the middle seat back and lower so the passenger can reach the higher and more forward armrest? DO they expect the passengers to stick their arms straight out in front of them? What are they smoking?

WineCountryUA Jul 18, 2019 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by vanillabean (Post 31318695)
I wonder if United is looking into Molon Labe Seating’s new seat design.

"It's still going to suck. Now it's going to suck less."

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/a...rnd/index.html

Been around for years, appears no major airline has expressed any interest and I don't find that surprising
https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/i...ss-hassle.html 2015 article

DenverBrian Jul 18, 2019 9:28 pm

But moving the middle seat back a few inches allows for more space, so the company made the middle seat about three to five inches wider than the standard 18 inch seat.
Um, the standard seat is 17 inches, not 18, on most single aisle Boeings; and if they take "three to five inches" from the window and aisle seats, then those seats are now 15 or 16 inches wide.

None of this makes sense.

Looks like they've also abandoned the original idea of having the aisle seat slide in to widen the aisle at disembarking. I'm sure that was part of the reason why it's taken over four years to certify - there's no way they would be structurally stiff enough for crashes if they were on sliders.

COSPILOT Jul 18, 2019 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 31319285)
Um, the standard seat is 17 inches, not 18, on most single aisle Boeings; and if they take "three to five inches" from the window and aisle seats, then those seats are now 15 or 16 inches wide.

None of this makes sense.

Looks like they've also abandoned the original idea of having the aisle seat slide in to widen the aisle at disembarking. I'm sure that was part of the reason why it's taken over four years to certify - there's no way they would be structurally stiff enough for crashes if they were on sliders.

Every pilot and copilot seat on commercial and private aircraft is on sliders.

DenverBrian Jul 18, 2019 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT (Post 31319318)

Front-to-back, not side-to-side, yes?

And I would think that the two pilot seats are made to far stronger specs than passenger seats. And are far heavier.

COSPILOT Jul 18, 2019 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 31319371)
Front-to-back, not side-to-side, yes?

And I would think that the two pilot seats are made to far stronger specs than passenger seats. And are far heavier.

Not in small private aircraft such as a Cessna. They are pretty light. Yes, forward and aft only in small airplanes

DenverBrian Jul 19, 2019 4:47 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT (Post 31319390)

Not in small private aircraft such as a Cessna. They are pretty light. Yes, forward and aft only in small airplanes

You seem to be making the point that side-to-side sliding seats exist somewhere in aviation. Fine by me.

This thread is about new seats for commercial aviation, for passengers, in three-across seating arrangements. MY point was that it's highly likely these seats couldn't certify because they originally were set up to be on side-to-side sliders, and that likely couldn't meet safety standards.

Collierkr Jul 19, 2019 7:23 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT (Post 31319318)

True- but they are much beefier than pax seats. Not saying sliders cannot work, just that A does not necessarily = B.

COSPILOT Jul 19, 2019 8:08 am

None of this matters, no airline has shown an ounce of interest in the concept. Almost anything can be built and certified, but if nobody wants it...

downinit Jul 19, 2019 9:30 am

The only thing an airline wants is to make money, so they will keep the status quo. They would probably have switched to 4 across seating by now if our waistlines weren't going in the opposite direction.

84fiero Jul 19, 2019 10:04 am

Originally Posted by downinit (Post 31320621)
The only thing an airline wants is to make money, so they will keep the status quo. They would probably have switched to 4 across seating by now if our waistlines weren't going in the opposite direction.

Oh they'd stack us up like cordwood and load us onto pallets if they could!

downinit Jul 19, 2019 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 31320734)
Oh they'd stack us up like cordwood and load us onto pallets if they could!

I would'nt mind that as much, as least I would be able to afford a lie-flat on every flight.

Saint4805 Jul 19, 2019 3:30 pm

They'd be better off ramping up the 'middle seat gets both armrests' marketing. There are too many selfish aisle and window PAX who think they are entitled to two.

GUWonder Jul 19, 2019 4:28 pm

I recall some people wanting a middle seat to increase their chance of finding a date or to have someone to talk to during the flight.