Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How many credit cards do you bring on a trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many credit cards do you bring on a trip?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
1 Chase CSR
1 foreign exchange fee free Amex (probably the Gold as they now have 4MR for Restaurants worldwide
1 other bank fx free card (just for back-up)
1 ATM-Debit card
1 depending on Hotels/Flights possibly a Hilton Amex/ Chase IHG/ ... to maximise earnings
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Same as I carry on a day to day basis. I carry:

- Drivers License
- CSR Visa
- AMEX Platinum
- Marriott Bonvoy AMEX
- Priority Pass
- Citi AA Mastercard
- JP Morgan Palladium which somehow still hasn't expired
- Health Insurance Card
- Debit Card
Old Jun 8, 2019, 10:19 am

I bring 3-4 cards.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by BearX220
I'd never travel with only one or two, especially not two from the same issuer. Terrible mistake to depend on a single credit / cash access line when you're in the field. I take about four, plus a debit card. If one doesn't work or gets frozen preemptively because the issuer's sentinel software suspects fraud / irregularity, I got several more to try.
This is a very good point. It's happened to me and having back-up cards prevented an awkward and embarrassing situation.

I also travel with high limit cards. Among my travel preferences is having the comfort of knowing I can walk into an airport anywhere in the world and get home in any class on the next available flight(s.) I've never had to do it but it's good to know that I can.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Domestically, just what i always carrry. Amex gold for food, CSR for travel expenses, and whatever card I'm currently working on a bonus for (for other expenses). I may also have the Amex Hilton card if I'm staying at a Hilton. And an ATM card.

Overseas, I usually just take the ATM card, the CSR, and another backup card (usually the Amex so that I can use travel services in a pinch).
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Forgot that I always try to bring a chip& pin card for the times I get a train ticket etc from a machine
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I also travel with high limit cards. Among my travel preferences is having the comfort of knowing I can walk into an airport anywhere in the world and get home in any class on the next available flight(s.) I've never had to do it but it's good to know that I can.
This is exactly my premise for a couple of extra cards - I want to have enough available credit to get me out of wherever I am (when away from the US).
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

These days, I have 2x wallets when I travel internationally so a total of 5x credit and 2x ATM.

My daily-use wallet gets put away into a zippered-pocket as soon as I pass airport security, and the travel-wallet would have 1x credit and 1x ATM card (with only 4-digit pin) plus cash/medical insurance card.

When I arrive, the passport holder plus the daily-use wallet goes into a secured-pouch and stored in the safe. The travel-wallet has empty slots for hotel keys (which my regular wallet does not).

Works better that way for me - don't have to worry about shifting things from wallet-to-storage, and vice-versa. When I get back home, reverse process. Put away the travel-wallet, and the daily-use wallet (with my house key) goes back into my pocket.

Plus side is that priority pass has gone digital - so 1 fewer card to carry in travel-wallet.

I've had issues in the past when foreign ATM's won't accept overly-long PINs, I've lost 1x card because it dropped on the floor while I was transferring, and my travel-wallet is a lot slimmer than my daily-use one since it doesn't have prox-cards, etc... in it.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:57 pm

I say bring 3. If travelling abroad, bring all that has no foreign transaction fees
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I also travel with high limit cards. Among my travel preferences is having the comfort of knowing I can walk into an airport anywhere in the world and get home in any class on the next available flight(s.)
Quite right. On the road I need to be able to spend myself out of any jam without worrying (until later when the bills arrive, anyway).
Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
I take every card I have that has no FTF's as well as a no FTF debit and my normal debit card. It's kind of like insurance in the way I take an umbrella even if no rain is forecast. I also spend a couple hundred bucks a year for travel health insurance for my husband and me. I hope to never have to implement my back-up plan but I've got it, just in case.

I will say I always give a travel alert (even though most/all of my no FTC cards don't ask for it anymore).

OP, are you looking for the "right" number of cards or something else?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hipquest
OP, are you looking for the "right" number of cards or something else?
Was just curious - I thought I was being overly cautious with how many I bring but it doesn't appear to be the case!
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:50 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
One primary and one backup in my wallet:
SPG AMEX ( yes still SPG for now, not worth much since the devalue but still tolerable so I use it ) mostly for Marriott and backup for everything else
Chase Saphire: Primary.
ATM: Fidelity

Backup in a second wallet: BA Visa, BA ATM

Never saw the need for more than a primary and then a backup seperate
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
1 Amex
2 Visa
2 ATM (different checking accounts)

I leave 1 visa and 1 ATM in my room/luggage separate from when I'm out, just in case of theft.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I have my wallet that goes in my pocket with:

- Citi Executive/Amex Platinum for lounge access
- Daily expenses card (currently Mileage Plus Explorer for the spend waiver)
- Back up daily expenses card in case the first one doesn't work

And then in my laptop bag is my travel wallet with
- Hilton, IHG and Marriott cards for hotel stays
- DL Amex and AA Aviator for bonus miles at lounges

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.