21 Things Flight Attendants Don't Want You to Know

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

21 Things Flight Attendants Don't Want You to Know

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Back in my college days, which seems like a million years ago now, I worked bussing tables in a high-end restaurant and I saw things that caused me so much distress that even to this day, I rarely eat in restaurants unless I’m on travel. If your dinner roll or fork gets dropped on the galley floor, consider yourself lucky that it isn’t a whole lot worse.
fairhsa likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Yeah, I am more worried about eating in a restaurant than the food I am served on the airplane. Which is not very worried.
Maybe that is why they rush to start the meal service. Before all of the urine is tracked out of the restroom on the floor near the galley where they might drop a fork (which are tightly wrapped)

The late, great George Carlin (NSFW) "The immune system needs germs to practice on" ...
Old May 28, 2019, 10:56 am

...what you don't know won't hurt you...?
Old May 28, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by apodo77

I’m glad I’m not a germaphobe.
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
And this surely never happens in any restaurant????
Originally Posted by cre95

And the more frequent it happens, the stronger your immune system becomes
Originally Posted by MCI777
I was just about to post the exact same thing, lol.
I found once started traveling internationally, that we in the US are over obssed with sanitation. It doesn't mean we need to throw everything we think away. However we do need to become a bit less obssed. Coming in contact with germs is one of the best ways to prevent getting seriously sick. There's simply no need for the strong antibacterial soaps we use. End up with superbugs or immune systems lacking abilitirs to fight back. No different from over use of antibiotic prescriptions.

BTW, just saw the new JFK TWA Hotel food service was shut down. Apparently they got an awful score on their initial survey.
fairhsa likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's the issue? I thought the consensus of the FT elite was that airline food was in-editable..
Old May 28, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: DL 2 MM
Originally Posted by TomMM
What's the issue? I thought the consensus of the FT elite was that airline food was in-editable..
Well, sometimes I'd like to change it
Old May 28, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Bottle

Originally Posted by Weekend Away
Are you sure he wasn't just picking up after people? It's common to pour everything into one glass and stack the cups.
Actually he was pouring/filling into bottles. When he saw me , he literally panicked!
Old May 28, 2019, 11:49 am

Good but

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I think she should wear a hair net and a face mask!
Old May 28, 2019, 12:00 pm

Agreed

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I found once started traveling internationally, that we in the US are over obssed with sanitation. It doesn't mean we need to throw everything we think away. However we do need to become a bit less obssed. Coming in contact with germs is one of the best ways to prevent getting seriously sick. There's simply no need for the strong antibacterial soaps we use. End up with superbugs or immune systems lacking abilitirs to fight back. No different from over use of antibiotic prescriptions.

BTW, just saw the new JFK TWA Hotel food service was shut down. Apparently they got an awful score on their initial survey.
That's why we waste billions of dollars on probiotics, and people spend thousands of dollars on a vial of fecal matter (fecal therapy-yes, it is real and a part of biotourism in third world countries)
Old May 28, 2019, 12:24 pm

Meh.... I can live with this. I eat stuff I drop on my kitchen floor and that can get pretty bad....!

reminds me of the public outcry in the UK a few years ago when some supermarkets were using horse meat instead of beef.

Other than a small part of me that thought “they probably should have disclosed that” all I came away with was knowledge that I do indeed like horse meat.
AStarr and TechnoTourist like this.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:39 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Of course it happens, probably rarely but it probably also happens at very expensive restaurants too. I try not to think about it. Also this title....click bait x1000. I was thinking Delta was going to get rid of free carry ons or something. Geez!
Old May 28, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Balor
Noooooo! If I am paying thousands for a ticket, I would at least expect basic hygiene practices.
Restaurant food has probably been on the floor one time or another too
Old May 28, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Join the military, go to Afghanistan for 6 months up in the mountains, having a fork someone peed on would be a massive upgrade....

It is all perspective

Consider it the same as getting a free update to your immune system
Old May 28, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
What totally grosses me out is how many people pick up their own food in their hand. Do they not know what their hands have touched?

BTW, can not find it now, but somebody did a decent study of germs in the standard office workplace. The break-room was far worse that the bathroom. Just saying.

Maybe people should accept reality. Germs are everywhere. Likely the most germ infested place in your house is your stomach.
Old May 28, 2019, 5:32 pm

I’ve got enough to worry about. I’m not sweating my airplane food until it becomes a bigger problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.