Why do we have Stupid Amenity Kits???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do we have Stupid Amenity Kits???

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2019, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Boogie711
And what on earth do you repurpose the bags for? I’m honestly asking. I’ve looked at electronics. There are better solutions out there. The ONLY thing I’ve been able to do with the bags is to throw out all the other stuff and use one bag to hold spare toothbrushes for guests, and another bag for earplugs.
I fly peasant class, but I've found a fair number of used (empty) amenities bags at my local thrift shop. I use them to keep the contents of my purse and art/craft bag sorted. Which is to say, I hope people who don't care for them keep donating them!
nancypants likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Complaining about something provided that you don't need is how economy travel had become so miserable. "I don't need a meal." "I always carry on, who needed checked bags." "I don't need advance seat assignment included, I can sit anywhere for a few hours." "Drink service included? What a waste I already bring my own water."
So that said,

Dear airline executives.

Please ignore the OP Letter, I very much like the kits. The mask is basically essential and easier to use yours than remember one. I often use the socks (prefer airlines that give slippers though). The pens are nice for landing cards. The lip balm is great in low humidity. OH! and the toothbrush is great so I can leave my dopp kit packed.
​​You bags themselves vary in usefulness. The older soft Tumi ones from Delta hold camera accessories and cables. The BA ones hold tiles for various games, or shoes. KLM was useless but my Delft house is on the mantle at home.
​​​​
Old May 25, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: QF WP
+1 for more pens, i’ve never understood why so many airlines seem to leave them out (bonus points if the pen is branded and retractable)

also +1 for either taking them and donating or not accepting at all- I can see the trash aspect, although there is always someone who will take them off your hands if you take a partially used one with you (they also have a fair resale value on eBay)
Old May 25, 2019, 9:46 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
I find my 'regular' socks to be uncomfortable/dry after a few hours if I've taken my shoes off.

The socks provided in an amenity kit are great to wear without shoes even on 16-hour flights, whether sitting, standing, walking around the cabin, or whatever else. I haven't really found wet restrooms to be an issue (I imagine it would vary with the clientele and the crew, of course).

A lot of these items are provided to minimize customer dissatisfaction. Eye shades so you don't have to ask the person next to you to stop watching their movie. The issue with providing slippers is that some might walk around the cabin solely in slippers (similar to walking around in flip-flops), and I don't want to smell someone's feet.
Old May 25, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I put the socks on over my socks, peal off and leave when I deplane.

Liked the AA zip up cases that held the ipad 1 or 2 from A few years ago. Qantas had some nice little bags in the 2000s, collected 20 of them and still use them.

And I do use toothbrush, toothpaste and mouthwash.

Usually have by own earplugs. Never understood the need for eye shades- I close my eyes.
Old May 25, 2019, 11:25 pm

Just don't use or take them when you leave the plane, the airline execs will figure this out soon enough when their overflowing storage facilities are stockpiling this stuff, great excuse to cut out this expense due to "customer feedback" about not wanting it, though they won't lower your ticket price.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
I use the eyemask always, often use the socks and reuse the bags for other stuff. My current travel toiletry bag is a reused NH F kit. Don’t can the eyemasks.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: HH, UA
Go give them to someone in economy class. I am sure they'd appreciate it.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:25 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Will have to politely disagree with you on all these points...

Useless eye masks. Admit it - we all have about a dozen of these things. They don’t do a good job of blocking light. They’re cheap enough to be useless but too nice to just get tossed out without feeling guilty.
I do indeed have dozens of them; however, I put them to good use. I use them on planes. I use them in hotel rooms without good blackout curtains. I use them when I take naps in my car or in lounges.

Tube socks. Honestly - why. I have NEVER seen anyone wear the supplied tube socks. Slippers make sense... but why do you keep shoving cheap, useless tube socks at me?
Interesting. I see them used on almost every flight I’ve been on. I see some folks put them over their socks. Others will use them if they board the plane wearing sandals and want to pad around the cabin. And like others, I donate unused ones.

[*]Sample sets of hand cream and lip gloss. OK - maybe people like this stuff. Sure. But let’s call it what it is - merchandising, not an ‘amenity.’
Why are they not amenities? Many people use them, just like toothbrushes, branded pens, wet wipes, and other things that you prefer in your kits.

[*]Tiny, useless bags. Too nice to just toss out, too useless to use for anything else. I have my own freedom baggie already with liquids and toiletries.
Perhaps I’m just a hoarder (okay, I AM a hoarder. ), but I use the amenity kit bags for all sorts of things. The longer, narrow ones become pencil/pen cases. Any that are box/pouch-like hold cords and wall adapters when I travel. I use some to store random accoutrement in my car doors and glove compartments. Some of my friends use the pouches for travel toiletries, make-up, and accessories. On one business trip, I used one to store all the business cards I accumulated, as I didn’t want them loose in my briefcase and didn’t fit in my cardholder since cards now come in all sorts of non-standard sizes.
Old May 26, 2019, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I prefer to get amenity kits stuffed with $100 bills.
Old May 26, 2019, 2:50 am

Free pressie for the wife :-)

She has said she would use them for jewllery, though 4 or 5 of them are still complete, all sitting on a shelf in the kitchen.

Could be a good use for a secret santa gift at your work at Xmas time.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 5:11 am

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Agreed on most things, its a tricky balance i'm sure between all the people that get to have input on what goes inside the Amenity Kit. Marketing department, customer experience department, of course the accounting department, and i'm sure a multitude of others get to have a say.

Myself, I love getting them and collecting them. Only flew up front a few times and still get super giddy when one is passed out to me regardless of which cabin i'm in. Socks i'll agree I basically never use. I've used the masks multiple times, not on the flight itself because I always pack my own but sometimes you go on quick trips and you forget to bring it.
Old May 26, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I donate all of mine to the local children's hospital... they are a bit hit
Old May 26, 2019, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The "amenities" I need in flight I bring with me. The kits are of no interest unless the case they come in is of some use. I'm still using zippered cloth bags from old SAA amenity kits to carry plug adapters and cables.
Old May 26, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: CX / BR / Marriott / Hilton
Originally Posted by Gig103
Complaining about something provided that you don't need is how economy travel had become so miserable. "I don't need a meal." "I always carry on, who needed checked bags." "I don't need advance seat assignment included, I can sit anywhere for a few hours." "Drink service included? What a waste I already bring my own water."
​​​​
Agreed, just flown on a long haul Y by CX and sadly spotted that they don't provide wet wipe and toothpick anymore (PEY still have it though). Complaints like this provide an excellent excuse for airline to cut cost.

​​​​​​I DO personally use most of the stuff in the J amenity kit and I saw many people DID use them too. My colleagues and I often took the kit and leave at office pantry. People are happy to take them for short road trips and it save us time to pack our own toiletries for sudden business trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.