Wiki Posts
Search

Why do we have Stupid Amenity Kits???

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2019, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Why do we have Stupid Amenity Kits???

I’m sick and tired of amenity kits that deserve to be thrown away or simply left on the plane.

Dear airline executive: I’m flying in Business Class. I don’t want yet another pair of useless tube socks. I don’t want yet another cheap and ineffective eye mask. I don’t want a tiny fake-leather bag or tin can that’s effectively useless for any other purpose.

The GOOD:
  • Lufthansa used to use re-usable shopping bags to bundle their amenity kits. I still have those bags today. I use them for groceries.
  • The disposable toothbrush. OK - this I get. It’s nice to be able to clean up. But guess what - I have my very own toothbrush with me. Do I need a disposable toothbrush?
  • A small pen - handy when we’re visiting a country that has a landing card to fill out.
  • Mints. Self explanatory.
The BAD:
  • Useless eye masks. Admit it - we all have about a dozen of these things. They don’t do a good job of blocking light. They’re cheap enough to be useless but too nice to just get tossed out without feeling guilty.
  • Tube socks. Honestly - why. I have NEVER seen anyone wear the supplied tube socks. Slippers make sense... but why do you keep shoving cheap, useless tube socks at me?
  • Sample sets of hand cream and lip gloss. OK - maybe people like this stuff. Sure. But let’s call it what it is - merchandising, not an ‘amenity.’
  • Tiny, useless bags. Too nice to just toss out, too useless to use for anything else. I have my own freedom baggie already with liquids and toiletries.
What I would like to see:
  • More pens. That’s a nice touch. Cheap, easy to fulfill, everyone can use one.
  • Bags that serve a dual purpose. I don’t need any more tiny, leatherette bags. What would be awesome would be a bag specifically designed to hold electronic cables or chargers. At least that makes sense.
  • Moist towelettes.
  • Hand sanitizer. Wouldn’t this make more sense than hand cream?
  • Thin slippers. Please please please ditch the socks.
What would make the amenity kit make more sense to you?
ijkh likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boogie711
What I would like to see:
  • More pens. That’s a nice touch. Cheap, easy to fulfill, everyone can use one.
  • Bags that serve a dual purpose. I don’t need any more tiny, leatherette bags. What would be awesome would be a bag specifically designed to hold electronic cables or chargers. At least that makes sense.
  • Moist towelettes.
  • Hand sanitizer. Wouldn’t this make more sense than hand cream?
  • Thin slippers. Please please please ditch the socks.
What would make the amenity kit make more sense to you?
Big yes on the bags and towelettes. I'm more likely to carry hand sanitizer with me, but it's still a good idea and something most people would probably use v throwout. I'd like to keep the little mini moisturizer, toothbrush/paste. I also think a band aid or two would be a good add. Chapstix.
Old May 25, 2019, 11:30 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Fast Track

fin.
Old May 25, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: *G
I use the toothbrush, socks, and eyemask on the flight. So....yeah they're useful to me.

The other products I don't use, but it's advertising and probably free (or low cost) to the airlines. Well the cream/moisturize occasionally, so it's not entirely useless.

Moist towelletes they already provide in-cabin, so don't have a problem there. And all the bags I can and do repurpose.

My only gripe then is the lack of pens.
Redhead likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by deniah
I use the toothbrush, socks, and eyemask on the flight. So....yeah they're useful to me.

The other products I don't use, but it's advertising and probably free (or low cost) to the airlines. Well the cream/moisturize occasionally, so it's not entirely useless.

Moist towelletes they already provide in-cabin, so don't have a problem there. And all the bags I can and do repurpose.

My only gripe then is the lack of pens.
I’m not kidding - I’ve NEVER seen anyone wear the socks. I mean, I don’t suggest you’re lying, and obviously they keep giving them to us... but what do you do with them? Put them over your other socks? Why? A wet floor in the lav means you’re now wearing two pairs of wet socks. Besides, they’re way too small to fit OVER my existing socks. And now my feet are too hot.

And what on earth do you repurpose the bags for? I’m honestly asking. I’ve looked at electronics. There are better solutions out there. The ONLY thing I’ve been able to do with the bags is to throw out all the other stuff and use one bag to hold spare toothbrushes for guests, and another bag for earplugs.
Old May 25, 2019, 1:03 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I give them to kids for sleepovers. They love those bags.
Old May 25, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: Delta, United
What did the airline say when you wrote to them???
nancypants likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
When I got married, my wife asked why I have dozens of eye masks.....

Nowadays, socks get donated to the annual sock-tober drive at work for charity if not used during the flight.

Some airlines have decent cosmetic products that I use long after the flight (like all the Bvlgari and Armani stuff from EK/QR).

Some go directly into the charity ziploc from budget business class (like AC, ET, AI, etc)
DBoy likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
just because YOU don’t value them doesn’t make them valueless — just take them home and put them in a plastic grocery bag; when the bag is full, drop it at a Goodwill or Salvation Army store, or a homeless shelter
Old May 25, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: *G

I’m not kidding - I’ve NEVER seen anyone wear the socks. I mean, I don’t suggest you’re lying, and obviously they keep giving them to us... but what do you do with them? Put them over your other socks? Why? A wet floor in the lav means you’re now wearing two pairs of wet socks. Besides, they’re way too small to fit OVER my existing socks. And now my feet are too hot.

And what on earth do you repurpose the bags for? I’m honestly asking. I’ve looked at electronics. There are better solutions out there. The ONLY thing I’ve been able to do with the bags is to throw out all the other stuff and use one bag to hold spare toothbrushes for guests, and another bag for earplugs.
my shoes are UK9. those loose airline socks definitely fit over standard socks, but i use them in lieu of my normal socks (which is allowed to air out a bit during the flight).
their purpose is for modesty (showing bare foot in cabin is bad behavior) and the bathroom - dont want to have to slip my shoes on and off for each visit.

unused full kits i toss in the office, in vehicles. some kits have smaller pouches i use for electronics - cables, batteries, headphone tips, usb sticks, etc.
on the carriers i fly kits come in all sorts of shapes - folios, stockings, tins, zipper bags, mesh bags, etc. they all find a 2nd life one way or another
Old May 25, 2019, 2:32 pm

I love amenity kits. I use the bags for all kinds of things like holding chargers or corralling loose items in my carryon. Of course, I'm not flying every week so my collection isn't huge but if you don't want them, don't take them.
Old May 25, 2019, 2:40 pm

I like some items that are in the bags and have been introduced to products that I liked and later purchased.
If I am on a flight where I don't want the contents of the bag, I just say that I don't want the bag.
Old May 25, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond

Yes, I put them over my socks or I replace them. They are warm and my feet sometimes get cold. I'm never going into a lav shoeless. But I use the socks almost every time. I am not sure why they make you so angry. They are socks. Toss them. I leave them on the plane.

I use the toothpaste until I can get some at the store. I often don't travel with toothpaste if I don't have checked luggage. So, very useful.

I would like a moist hand wipe, but I also carry them with me.

Pens are great. I have AA, Delta, and Cathay pens from Amenity kits.

The hand lotions are just product placement, I don't use them. I don't normally use the eyeshades, but its nice to have them.

I reuse the kits all the time. One is for my chargers, another is for my medical supplies, another serves as a place for change, another I use for things I want in checked bags. Etc.

If I don't find the kit useful, I might just leave the pouch there, on the seat.
BearX220 and nancypants like this.
Old May 25, 2019, 6:23 pm

Flew Aeroflot a few years ago in coach and they gave out slippers. I stupidly didn't keep them. They were lightweight and foldable, perfect for shuffling to the bathroom on the plane.
Old May 25, 2019, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Gringa
I love amenity kits. I use the bags for all kinds of things like holding chargers or corralling loose items in my carryon. Of course, I'm not flying every week so my collection isn't huge but if you don't want them, don't take them.
Amenity kit bag from a Jet Blue flight - perfect size for a small portable speaker, along with USB charging and AUX cables; I'm a big audiobook fan.

Arrived in a cardboard box with with no "case" whatsoever.
​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.