Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which is the longest nonstop flight?

Which is the longest nonstop flight?

Reply

Old May 8, 19, 6:31 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Posts: 33,699
Which is the longest nonstop flight?

Which airlines who is the longest nonstop flight?

SIN-EWR, DOH-AKL, DXB-AKL, DXB-IAH, DXB-LAX, DXB-SFO, LAX-SIN, EWR-HKG, JFK-HKG, AUH-SYD, SFO-DEL, EWR-CPT, JFK-DEL, ORD-DEL,

On which aircraft is it? Is that capabilities?
N830MH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 19, 6:32 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: YVR, ZRH
Programs: *G
Posts: 4,958
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Which airlines who is the longest nonstop flight?

SIN-EWR, DOH-AKL, DXB-AKL, DXB-IAH, DXB-LAX, DXB-SFO, LAX-SIN, EWR-HKG, JFK-HKG, AUH-SYD, SFO-DEL, EWR-CPT, JFK-DEL, ORD-DEL,

On which aircraft is it? Is that capabilities?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longes...senger_flights

Top 4 are all different airlines&planes, in order:

SQ21 EWR-SIN, A350-900ULR
QR921 AKL-DOH, 777-200LR
QF9 PER-LHR, 787-9
EK449 AKL-DXB, A380-800
N830MH and nancypants like this.
Smiley90 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 19, 8:11 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 57
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longes...senger_flights

Top 4 are all different airlines&planes, in order:

SQ21 EWR-SIN, A350-900ULR
QR921 AKL-DOH, 777-200LR
QF9 PER-LHR, 787-9
EK449 AKL-DXB, A380-800
Interesting mix of two Boeings and two Airbuses, which continues further down the list. I know in Y I would prefer to be on A350 or A380. I wouldn't even consider a 10/row 777 or 9/row 787 on such long flights, but I've got broad shoulders. I'm guessing in terms of costs to the airlines, the 350 and 787 are better than the other two? Be interesting to see how that space looks in a few years time.
Doddles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 19, 12:56 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Posts: 33,699
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longes...senger_flights

Top 4 are all different airlines&planes, in order:

SQ21 EWR-SIN, A350-900ULR
QR921 AKL-DOH, 777-200LR
QF9 PER-LHR, 787-9
EK449 AKL-DXB, A380-800
Didn't they have nonstop flight from BKK-LAX/JFK over decades ago. Operated by A340-500 aircraft. It is longest nonstop flight.
N830MH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 19, 5:32 am
  #5  
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,189
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Didn't they have nonstop flight from BKK-LAX/JFK over decades ago. Operated by A340-500 aircraft. It is longest nonstop flight.
Unfortunately not ...

EWR - SIN is 9534 miles
BKK - JFK is 8677 miles
BKK - LAX is 8270 miles
(distances according the Great Circle Mapper)

So SQ had still the longest commercial non-stop flight from EWR - SIN. For Bangkok - New York, there is an old trip report available: Trip Report: TG 790 BKK-JFK U
FLYGVA is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 19, 5:36 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ICN / 평택
Programs: AA, DL Silver, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Posts: 8,537
My personal longest was ATL-ICN on a DL 777, in coach, 14.5 hours followed by a 1.5 hour wait in immigration because multiple widebodies from China landed just before we did.
etch5895 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 19, 12:16 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA, Hilton
Programs: United, Hilton
Posts: 3,386
I've done YYZ-HKG, ORD-HKG, etc, and felt okay.
But ATL-JNB feels extremely long. I can't fathom flying longer than that, and I can't believe there are flights longer than that. Good thing DL flies 9-abreast 777. I wonder if they'd dare to go high-density on such a long route.
evergrn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 19, 9:12 am
  #8  
mhy
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: JL
Posts: 36
Originally Posted by Doddles View Post
Interesting mix of two Boeings and two Airbuses, which continues further down the list. I know in Y I would prefer to be on A350 or A380. I wouldn't even consider a 10/row 777 or 9/row 787 on such long flights, but I've got broad shoulders. I'm guessing in terms of costs to the airlines, the 350 and 787 are better than the other two? Be interesting to see how that space looks in a few years time.
The Singapore A350 used on that flight only has premium economy and business class so definitely better than 10-abreast 777 / 9-abreast 787!
strickerj likes this.
mhy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 19, 5:50 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cockeysville, MD
Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, US Gold
Posts: 8,308
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longes...senger_flights

Top 4 are all different airlines&planes, in order:

SQ21 EWR-SIN, A350-900ULR
QR921 AKL-DOH, 777-200LR
QF9 PER-LHR, 787-9
EK449 AKL-DXB, A380-800


Wasn't long ago that #7 on that list was the #1 at the time... wow.
nancypants likes this.
Mr. Vker is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 19, 5:52 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cockeysville, MD
Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, US Gold
Posts: 8,308
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Didn't they have nonstop flight from BKK-LAX/JFK over decades ago. Operated by A340-500 aircraft. It is longest nonstop flight.

I flew JFK-BKK one time. Even then, EWR-SIN was longer. The BKK flight was about 17 hours polar route. JFK-BKK took off around noon IIRC. We flew in summer so they entire flight was in day light.
N830MH likes this.
Mr. Vker is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 19, 1:31 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 83
QR921 was 3-3-3 in a 772 with loads (relatively!) of seat pitch when I flew it. For economy, very very comfortable.

And 17 hours is no harder than 10 hours.
akl_traveller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 19, 11:14 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 16,718
Originally Posted by etch5895 View Post
My personal longest was ATL-ICN on a DL 777, in coach, 14.5 hours followed by a 1.5 hour wait in immigration because multiple widebodies from China landed just before we did.
You win.

Yeah, you do.
strickerj likes this.
enviroian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 19, 11:15 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: YVR, ZRH
Programs: *G
Posts: 4,958
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
You win.

Yeah, you do.
"Win"
strickerj and nancypants like this.
Smiley90 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 19, 12:24 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: PWM - the way life should be
Posts: 11,514
My longest was ORD-DEL on AA...about 15 hours and change. But I was in F so it was nice.
strickerj likes this.
gfunkdave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 19, 12:34 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SNA/LAX
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 123
I've done LAX-MEL and JED-LAX and both were 16+ hours, yet they don't even make the list. I don't know how people in Y get through these 18+ hour marathons of a flight.
georgina80 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread