The Entire Office Suddenly Started Talking About Award Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum

Does it feel odd to anyone else when you run into people talking about frequent flying in your everyday life?

I mean, I expect to hear all about frequent-flyer related things when I log on to FT, but I rarely hear anyone talking about this stuff in my life otherwise.

Today at my office, there were about 7-8 of us chatting in a big circle at one point, and one person suddenly started talking about her new Chase credit card and all the travel points it was going to get her. Suddenly, everyone was chiming in about their travel-related secrets, and people kept asking me and one other guy questions, because they knew we traveled the most.

I don't know why, but I feel awkward talking about this stuff. Maybe because I feel like it makes me look like a huge nerd... but I do know a fair amount about it
Old May 3, 2019, 12:27 am

Haha - totally agree.

My default view is don’t talk unless asked....... unless I hear or see someone about to make a terrible mistake.

The other day a colleague of mine was logging in to his virgin flying club account whilst on the phone to them trying to book an economy flight. I was tempted to tell him to hang up and find a better use for his miles but had to remind myself that is none of my business.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:53 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Hawes7701
My default view is don’t talk unless asked....... unless I hear or see someone about to make a terrible mistake.

This
Old May 3, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I'm well known on campus as the airline nerd, its fun! People always ask why its my hobby, and I've booked flights for Professors who wanted me to find a good deal. I even wrote my thesis on airline influence on government negotiations, just turned it in yesterday. But then I've always enjoyed expressing my strange interests.
Redhead, metallo and Yoshi212 like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't talk about it to too many people. Just this week I somehow ended up on the topic with an office colleague about redeeming Marriott points for Alaska miles so I could fly to Thailand on a Hong Kong airline and realized it made absolutely zero sense to anyone who isn't weird like us. So generally, I stay out of other people's travels unless I can tell they really, really want some advice.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I tried to stay out of it at the office (I'm retired now) except for private conversations with other FT types (even if they weren't on FT, they were aggressive about staying on top of all their loyalty programs and maximizing the perks). I traveled regularly on the company dime, including trips to Europe and India in Business Class. I also started using branded credit cards early, which allowed me to rack more points up in top of what I got from company travel. When DH and I went somewhere we frequently used my miles for him so my paid fare could add to the stash. You guys know all the tricks.

I was afraid that if I talked too much about all the freebies I was getting there would be people who thought I was somehow ripping off the company, maybe by booking more expensive flights/hotels to get more points- which was something I scrupulously avoided. I just signed up for every program so that no matter what I booked based on price and company policy, I'd get credit somewhere.
Old May 3, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Up until about five years ago I would happily meet with folks and show them how we do this game. Then I realized that not only were people not getting it but I was becoming their travel agent/advisor. Even something as relatively simple (for us) as last year's Iberia 9,000 points per booking deal went over people's heads. Now I don't "evangelize" anymore and all people know to ask me is "Are you flying this weekend?" but not ask how my mileage run to Boston pays for my First Class seat to Sydney.
metallo and Marschel like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: United Premier Silver, Marriott/SPG Gold/Hyatt Explorist
My coworkers got me into this hobby as a way to make the 80+% travel suck less. I’d say at least once a week we’ll have a big discussion about various aspects of the game.

As with many things I’ve become the one who seemingly obsesses over it and knows all sorts of random things about it. Just who I am, really.

But hey, as long as they don’t steal my redemptions I’m good with sharing the wealth
metallo likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 3:20 am

It depends. The guy hanging a poster of a 748 behind his desk? Sure. The guy driving a Prius and lobbying for separating office waste by different types of plastic? I won't rub it in his face.
Old May 4, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Award travel became the topic of choice at the water cooler after the Chase Sapphire Reserve went viral.

My coworkers know I travel and know I'm into this game but when people come asking for advice I ask them how much time do you want to spend on this? If the answer is "not much" I tell them to get a good 2% cashback card and move on. If they're keen, I'll point them to a blog or two.

Trying to explain all that I've learned over the last 10 years of this is just too exhausting.
StartinSanDiego likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Trying to explain all that I've learned over the last 10 years of this is just too exhausting.
Indeed. The lady in the group who seemed the most interested didn't even understand the concept of transferring credit card points to an airline mileage program versus buying a ticket through the credit card travel portal. I pretty much gave up after that. If they're really motivated, they'll start googling.
Old May 4, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by metallo
Indeed. The lady in the group who seemed the most interested didn't even understand the concept of transferring credit card points to an airline mileage program versus buying a ticket through the credit card travel portal. I pretty much gave up after that. If they're really motivated, they'll start googling.
My other concern is that after explaining all the ins and outs of churning, manufactured spending, routing rules, award charts, transfer partners, partner awards, alliances and fuel surcharges I just end up sounding like Charlie:

Old May 5, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Alot of what we talk about on here sounds crazy to people in the real world. They tend to think we're either lying about the great deals we're getting or doing something shady, especially if we're not able to explain it in 1-2 concise sentences. So, my policy is generally not to talk about it unless I think I can really help someone without too much trouble.

My husband sees the benefits but doesn't understand all of the complexities since I'm the one who puts in the work. I recently heard him enthusiastically telling his friend about the lounge benefits of the Amex platinum card, but I'm sure that when his friend googled it and saw the $699 annual fee, he started to rethink the discount he's been giving us on his professional services
Old May 5, 2019, 9:51 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I think the Chase Sapphire Reserve launched the miles and points idea into the realm of normal. Putting aside the fact that the UR portal is often not the best use of UR points, it's easy to figure out. Since they got their points for "free", they are tickled pink just to go somewhere. Everyone is a travel hacker these days.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I agree with the OP I too feel uncomfortable talking about it. I've had more relaxing conversations about Roe v Wade than frequent flyer points/travel/etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.