Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Awkward/Uncomfortable Situation - Passenger Encroachment - What to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Awkward/Uncomfortable Situation - Passenger Encroachment - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Dudey
...his head was encroached in my space, forcing me to sit up during most of the flight.
"SPLASH!" .....and after he wakes up looking at me angrily, I calmly say: "Oh, I spilled my Coke. There was some turbulence. Did I get some on you? I am so sorry."
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:21 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As this is not airline specific and may be of interest to a broader audience, will move this to TravelBuzz

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I have to be honest that this is the #1 reason I take a window seat. In my case I am too tall for.most seats and need to use the wall as a support instead of the seatback. On there rate occasions (change of equip., IRROPS, no status, 1hr flight, etc) where I have middle or aisle, this situation could arise. I would harbour no ill will for being nudged awake and would realise.myself what had happened and would apologise unprompted. Snoring, head or body movement, even a fart here and there are all involuntary body issues when asleep. Just let the pax know and try to move on.

This said, I am often elbowed by the middle pax when I am asleep and they are awake. Not for any of the above reasons, but simply because they take the armrest and then extend.8nto my seat. After being awoken the 12th time I usually say something. At least I put my kindle there so they cannot over-extend any more.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I've had similar things happen. I nudge the person's head off my shoulder as gently as possible.

Last edited by Badenoch; Mar 23, 2019 at 9:30 am
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Firstly if this happened to me I would instantly say something to this selfish and obnoxious passenger.

Secondly, If the offending passenger was a hot chick would this thread even exist?

Nope.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Secondly, If the offending passenger was a hot chick would this thread even exist?

Nope.
It should. Peoples ideas of personal space can differ. Even if you are ok with it, she might not be when awake.

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I had a 20 something woman fall asleep with her head on my shoulder and I merely got the FA's attention, and she gently woke the young lady up. I didn't want to be seen as doing anything inappropriate. Of course, the young lady was embarrassed and apologized, but I knew it wasn't her fault.
Y Window has its own encroachment challenges. I once found a man's sock covered foot extended into my window side armrest in a dark cabin, poking into my upper arm. I inflated a spare ziplock and shoved it into the gap.
greytop13 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
OP, I think I would've scooted forward, then scrunched my arm back to get my hand on his headphone, and slowly moved him upright by pushing against his ear.

Or just gently body-slammed him from the side to both wake him up and push him over.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:25 pm

If he wasn’t waking I would have turned myself slightly sideways ( towards him) nudged my shoulder in and pushed his head away, straightened out and reclaimed my space. Head on my shoulder I either push away or “ accidental” bang as I reach up,to scratch my head or shoulder or something!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by awayIgo
If he wasn’t waking I would have turned myself slightly sideways ( towards him) nudged my shoulder in and pushed his head away, straightened out and reclaimed my space. Head on my shoulder I either push away or “ accidental” bang as I reach up,to scratch my head or shoulder or something!
Best advice yet! Fight fire with fire. It would be funny seeing his reaction if I mimicked his posture and stared at him with my eyes closed (or opened). Lol
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
....If the offending passenger was a hot chick would this thread even exist?

Nope.
It’s always obvious when the thread is merged from the United forum to one of the Pleb forums.
Comments like this one.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by onthesam
Just say something short and direct that starts with "excuse me..." and ends with "thank you".
I would also perhaps add something that is a bit humorous as I think most people would be embarrassed by the situation.

Sorry to wake you but your head keeps chicken bobbing into me while I am trying to ...

FWIW on some planes (mostly those used on long hauls) the head rest has wings. Pull them away from the seat back so the cradle your head. Helps with the chicken bobbing.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Mar 24, 2019 at 6:44 pm
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People tell me I have sharp elbows.

^
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
I'm usually not the confrontational type.... but maybe I should have? Would that have made the situation worst? I dunno...
If you don't say/do anything, alternative is to suffer !

Firstly if this happened to me I would instantly say something to this selfish and obnoxious passenger.

Nope.
But first take pics video of her resting, sleeping on your shoulder. Then if she screams abuse for whatever reasons, you have proof of who started it first !!!

Me I would ask her to take charge of her own being.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I've been flying for many years now and fortunately, I haven't found myself in this situation before, but this week on a flight, a DYKWIA type passenger was seated next to me. Normally, the DYKWIA types don't bother me, but this one was quite unique. He put on his eye mask and attempted to get comfortable taking both armrests. No biggie right, we've all seen this type of people before. But what irked me was for half the flight, his head was encroached in my space, forcing me to sit up during most of the flight. The other half of the time, he situated his body on the seat and turned facing me (and then the other passenger as well). Ewwww right?!? I know he had his eye mask on, but I still didn't want someone practically breathing on me!

Has anyone else encountered a similar uncomfortable situation? How did you address it? Looking back, I really should have confronted the situation, but would that have caused even more awkwardness during our 4hr+ flight? (Ironically, on the return flight, I almost selected a seat next to the same passenger! I was so relieved to see him seated and happily walked past him. :-)

[image from first post deleted to save a lot of space]

Passenger encroachment. What would you do?
On most economy seats, the left and right sides of the headrest bend forward to keep a sleeper's head from lolling to one side or the other. Non-frequent-flyers don't know this, probably because seats on the ground don't do likewise (even if they have headrests, like many car seats). Asking him politely to bend his headrest wings forward probably would have done wonders,
HMPS and rickg523 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:24 pm

I've been flying for many years now and fortunately, I haven't found myself in this situation before, but this week on a flight, a DYKWIA type passenger was seated next to me. Normally, the DYKWIA types don't bother me, but this one was quite unique. He put on his eye mask and attempted to get comfortable taking both armrests. No biggie right, we've all seen this type of people before. But what irked me was for half the flight, his head was encroached in my space, forcing me to sit up during most of the flight. The other half of the time, he situated his body on the seat and turned facing me (and then the other passenger as well). Ewwww right?!? I know he had his eye mask on, but I still didn't want someone practically breathing on me!

Has anyone else encountered a similar uncomfortable situation? How did you address it? Looking back, I really should have confronted the situation, but would that have caused even more awkwardness during our 4hr+ flight? (Ironically, on the return flight, I almost selected a seat next to the same passenger! I was so relieved to see him seated and happily walked past him. :-)

Passenger encroachment. What would you do?
Assuming I didn't have an elastic band handy, I would have leaned forward (tie a shoelace kind of thing) and suddenly sat back in the seat. "Oops! I didn't see you in my seat. Hey! Why ARE you in my seat?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.