FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Text alert regarding delayed flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1956512-text-alert-regarding-delayed-flight.html)

nyknicks8 Feb 15, 2019 2:59 pm

Text alert regarding delayed flight

Just curious what do most people do when you get a text alert stating your flight is delayed for 2-3 hours . Do you still show up at the airport at the original time? I know there are experiences where the airline finds another plane to make the flight on time and in most cases never sends a text that the flight is now departing on time. That should never happen as planes dont appear out of nowhere in minutes - they would have hours advanced notice (hopefully they are not bringing a plane out of the graveyard).

But my problem is my time is valuable - I cannot be expected to wait at the airport for 2+ hours without being compensated. Just like if I do not show up at the airport on time, I have to pay a penalty, the airline should pay an hourly penalty for each passenger forced to wait for the airline not showing up on time.

My current instance is with southwest. I plan on going for the late departing time (not original).

Proudelitist Feb 15, 2019 3:05 pm

I usually get them a few hours after the plane has landed lol.

Anyhow, DON'T GO BY THE TEXT. Show up at the original scheduled time!! They can "undelay" a plane.

jrl767 Feb 15, 2019 3:51 pm

generally good advice, but you can check FlightRadar24 to backtrack the jet ... WN is pretty good about keeping a plane on its scheduled routing for the day

WN also has a fair number of multi-segment flights ... notional example: WN2208 operates LAS-SJC-SNA-PHX-DEN; if you're notified that PHX-DEN is going to be 2 hours late, chances are if LAS-SJC (or anything upline from LAS) is 2 hours late, there won't be much chance of catching up during the day

Craig6z Feb 15, 2019 5:02 pm

Not showing up at the original time is dangerous when the departing airport is a hub for the carrier. That's a scenario ripe for a plane swap.

In outlying stations, I try to reverse engineer where the plane is coming from, if it isn't obvious from the airline's app (United is particularly strong in this area). When I am pretty sure there is no chance for a plane swap, or the possibility of getting on another flight through a different hub, my plan of action is to arrive later than my norm, and get through security right about when the plane would board (if on time). So instead of arriving at the gate 60 minutes early, I might shoot for 35.

lhrsfo Feb 15, 2019 6:32 pm

I had this on last Thursday. My flight on UA to SFO from LHR was late. I got a text from them just before I went to bed, so could set my alarm for later. But I knew that the plane was coming from SFO and it couldn't possibly arrive any earlier. But UA had options: they could have cancelled this, their second and last SFO flight of the day, delayed their first and put everyone on it, then kept the plane in London, cancelling an inbound for the following day. But I checked the loads and saw that this was not really feasible. So I was safe. The moral is that you should only turn up late if you really see that the airline has no real options but to fly the original flight late.

nyknicks8 Feb 15, 2019 7:43 pm

Looks like most people do what I already do. Yes I usually backtrack the flights and check the incoming flight and it’s schedule. The only possibility that I cannot account for is if they use a different plane. I rarely arrive to the airport for the original departure time if it’s delayed especially if I’m coming from home. I can’t see myself waiting at the airport for 3 hours. I departed from SMF so it’s not a hub for anything. The plane ended up leaving at the delayed time and I made it to the destination.

jrl767 Feb 15, 2019 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by nyknicks8 (Post 30784361)
... I departed from SMF so it’s not a hub for anything. The plane ended up leaving at the delayed time and I made it to the destination.

yep, much less risky when departing from an outstation where a tail swap is far less likely

The _Banking_Scot Feb 16, 2019 3:06 am

Hi,

A couple of years ago in Las Vegas I got a text message from BA advising that the flight back to london was delayed by 3hrs ( from 8pm to 11pm and gave a new check in closing time of 1 hr prior to the new departure time).

In this case as the plane has to come in from London and it specifically mentions a new time you can get to the airport later .

Regards

TBS

onobond Feb 16, 2019 6:36 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 30785095)
Hi,

A couple of years ago in Las Vegas I got a text message from BA advising that the flight back to london was delayed by 3hrs ( from 8pm to 11pm and gave a new check in closing time of 1 hr prior to the new departure time).

In this case as the plane has to come in from London and it specifically mentions a new time you can get to the airport later .

Regards

TBS

Nice to share your experience. There probably is a BA routine for this. The same thing happened to me some 3 years ago, returning from DFW. Without the text message, clearly stating new check-in time, I would not have dared showing up but for the original time.

At LHR, however, I've had many delayed departure messages later being overridden by the sudden appearance of a substitute aircraft, just pushing ETD +15 min etc, so there is a situation where you might regret not having checked in already.

Often1 Feb 16, 2019 12:07 pm

OP has not told us anything other than just how valuable his time is.

Knowing the carrier and departure airport would help.

Most carriers, including DL, UA, and AA if this is US domestic, all specify that one must be at the gate within X minutes of scheduled departure. Thus, unless you are at some small outstation where there is no realistic chance of an aircraft substitution, you put your ticket at risk if you no show and have not checked with your carrier.

In particular, estimates for aircraft repair, weather, and ATC delays are all subject to change. Even at a small outstation, there may be a ground hold for the inbound flight. But, that could disappear and your 3-hour delay turn into 30 minutes in a split second.

So, you have to decide whether your time is too valuable to waste waiting for a delay or waiting for the next flight.

Qwkynuf Feb 16, 2019 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by nyknicks8 (Post 30784361)
Looks like most people do what I already do. Yes I usually backtrack the flights and check the incoming flight and it’s schedule. The only possibility that I cannot account for is if they use a different plane. I rarely arrive to the airport for the original departure time if it’s delayed especially if I’m coming from home. I can’t see myself waiting at the airport for 3 hours. I departed from SMF so it’s not a hub for anything. The plane ended up leaving at the delayed time and I made it to the destination.

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30786410)
OP has not told us anything other than just how valuable his time is.

Knowing the carrier and departure airport would help.

Most carriers, including DL, UA, and AA if this is US domestic, all specify that one must be at the gate within X minutes of scheduled departure. Thus, unless you are at some small outstation where there is no realistic chance of an aircraft substitution, you put your ticket at risk if you no show and have not checked with your carrier.

In particular, estimates for aircraft repair, weather, and ATC delays are all subject to change. Even at a small outstation, there may be a ground hold for the inbound flight. But, that could disappear and your 3-hour delay turn into 30 minutes in a split second.

So, you have to decide whether your time is too valuable to waste waiting for a delay or waiting for the next flight.

3 posts above yours, the OP said that he flew out of SMF. Did you neglect to read all of the posts in your rush to lecture us (again)?

ETA: In the initial post he said "My current instance is with Southwest". So apart from the carrier and airport, what information did he leave out?

Annalisa12 Feb 17, 2019 4:50 am

I've never had a text about a late flight.

powerlifter Feb 17, 2019 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 (Post 30788343)
I've never had a text about a late flight.

Apparently, you don't use Tripit. I got off the plane in VIE and I Got a text that my plane was canceled to Amman. Went to the lounge where they booked me a hotel, taxi, and meals. plus they put me on the next plane in the morning.

gobluetwo Feb 18, 2019 10:27 am

Originally Posted by powerlifter (Post 30789085)
Apparently, you don't use Tripit. I got off the plane in VIE and I Got a text that my plane was canceled to Amman. Went to the lounge where they booked me a hotel, taxi, and meals. plus they put me on the next plane in the morning.

I used to get texts and now get app notifications from United for delays, boarding, gate changes, etc. So far, it seems like it works well and is fairly timely and accurate.

hebsan Feb 21, 2019 1:03 pm

I was on UA from HNL to LAX back in October. Got a text early in the morning that the flight was delayed until 4PM (originally 7AM). Decided to head to the airport as originally planned. Sure enough, the flight was delayed. However, since we were one of the first in line, United was able to put us on a Delta flight leaving at the same time.