Spouse - check-in issue - Front Desk Police

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
My wife is one of the most mellowest people in the world. [...] For those that suggest it was acceptable to treat her like that you live in a strange world and I am sorry for you. I have a hunch those of you who are keyboard cowboys would be a little friendlier if we were face to face in the hotel bar discussing this minor issue.
You are 100% correct. FlyerTalk, like any anonymous forum, hosts many people who assume the worst in others. At the end of the day there's still enough useful information to make the noise worth it.
RTWFF and SacTownGuy like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
However, to be yelled at to the point she was crying is uncalled for no matter how she acted.
Maybe it is in another post - what was said that would actually cause someone in the lobby of a hotel to actually cry - I'm assuming tears. I'm struggling with this thread, as I'm sure others are, as I can't imagine any scenario of anyone I know at least, that would be brought to tears in a hotel lobby or other examples like airline checkin, retail store, hospitality setting, etc. not matter what was said/yelled.

I'd probably burst out laughing - say, are you kidding me - and get the name - and get on the phone. Or, just leave and go to another hotel.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Maybe it is in another post - what was said that would actually cause someone in the lobby of a hotel to actually cry - I'm assuming tears. I'm struggling with this thread, as I'm sure others are, as I can't imagine any scenario of anyone I know at least, that would be brought to tears in a hotel lobby or other examples like airline checkin, retail store, hospitality setting, etc. not matter what was said/yelled.

I'd probably burst out laughing - say, are you kidding me - and get the name - and get on the phone. Or, just leave and go to another hotel.
I would probably react the same as you. Apparently the employees behavior was extremely over the top and my wife reacted differently than you and I would. I wasn't there but will assume my wife is not making it up. Remember you and I travel a lot, deal with a lot every day at work, etc.... My wife might have a slightly more sheltered life so whatever was sad freaked her out. Among other things, as you may know, there are no decent hotels near the Maui airport and she just wanted a room before an early morning flight the next day. It's not a thread to attack my wife's credibility. Not sure why you are "struggling with this thread." It's not a big deal. I was merely reporting a situation and asking a specific question. Perhaps not my best thread ever but I got a couple of helpful replies so that's good. Mahalo.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:32 pm

My wife often checks into our hotel rooms, without me present at the desk, and we have never once had a problem. Rooms are in my name. She normally checks in and all is fine. Let's say I have dropped her off and parked the car, she got to town before me, or (god forbid) I am not there at all.

Last week at a CY she was given the riot act to the point she was in tears. The hotel would not let her check in. The "manager" was even ruder than the first employee. The hotel called me to confirm my MR number and phone number and then they let her stay in the room and I still got the points. They wouldn't give her the plat welcome amenity though.

Funny thing was we were paying standard rate for the room of about $300 as it was in Hawaii.

It wasn't a big deal and I do understand my wife's name was not on the rez.

While I understand the policy the hotel clerk kept saying to me that I didn't add my wife's name to the reservation. While Starwood used to have the box to add a name to the rez, if I recal. It seems Marriott has nothing now. It just allows one name. So I can't add a name to a rez. I could change a name but not add a name.

I would never have her check in to a points rez without me there but this kind of front desk police seems a bit much for a standard price room.

No, I am not asking if I deserve compensation as I understand we were technically in violation since I was not there. No worries.

Curious if anybody else has encountered this or maybe it was just a one off situation!?
As far as I can tell, there is no way to add my wife to the reservation when booking online. We were able to add this in the notes section of the Starwood bookings. I generally phone ahead when my wife is checking in without me.

Strangely, this weekend, with a reservation in my name only, after we checked in my wife was able to back to get her own room key, without me being there, and without showing any ID.

Cheeers,
SacTownGuy likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:36 pm

I would probably react the same as you. Apparently the employees behavior was extremely over the top and my wife reacted differently than you and I would. I wasn't there but will assume my wife is not making it up. Remember you and I travel a lot, deal with a lot every day at work, etc.... My wife might have a slightly more sheltered life so whatever was sad freaked her out. Among other things, as you may know, there are no decent hotels near the Maui airport and she just wanted a room before an early morning flight the next day. It's not a thread to attack my wife's credibility. Not sure why you are "struggling with this thread." It's not a big deal. I was merely reporting a situation and asking a specific question. Perhaps not my best thread ever but I got a couple of helpful replies so that's good. Mahalo.
I cried once. From the stress of getting the runaround from a Westin in Italy when I had to cut a trip short to rush back from Europe to get to my hospitalized daughter in Canada.

So I've learned not to judge others.

Cheers,
SacTownGuy likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Flews
As far as I can tell, there is no way to add my wife to the reservation when booking online. We were able to add this in the notes section of the Starwood bookings. I generally phone ahead when my wife is checking in without me.

Strangely, this weekend, with a reservation in my name only, after we checked in my wife was able to back to get her own room key, without me being there, and without showing any ID.

Cheeers,
This sounds like a huge breach of security policies and procedures. I hope you reported the situation to the manager.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This sounds like a huge breach of security policies and procedures. I hope you reported the situation to the manager.
It was. I did. The front desk agent said she remembered my wife from when we checked in the day before...

Cheers,
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Flews
As far as I can tell, there is no way to add my wife to the reservation when booking online. We were able to add this in the notes section of the Starwood bookings.
You can still add the name to the notes section of the Marriott bookings. When making the reservation or when modifying an existing reservation, you can add a note by clicking on the "Choose Room Features" (yes, not intuitive) section of the reservation. There is a section under "Check-in" for notes titled "Any special requests or needs?". Don't forget to click "Apply" after entering the notes to save the information.
SacTownGuy and rny321 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by controller1
You can still add the name to the notes section of the Marriott bookings. When making the reservation or when modifying an existing reservation, you can add a note by clicking on the "Choose Room Features" (yes, not intuitive) section of the reservation. There is a section under "Check-in" for notes titled "Any special requests or needs?". Don't forget to click "Apply" after entering the notes to save the information.
That is extremely helpful. Thank you.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85
Bad advice. You're the only one who is clueless about this scenario and the course of action.

We all understood OP was never going to be at the hotel. So what he did was technically wrong. We offered advice on what he should have done to mitigate the very likely situation where his wife was unable to check in by herself.

OP is best to learn from this mistake and do better next time.
And your missing the point. The OP has a valid issue with the following:
Last week at a CY she was given the riot act to the point she was in tears. The hotel would not let her check in. The "manager" was even ruder than the first employee.
Curious if anybody else has encountered this or maybe it was just a one off situation!?

Notice how I deleted the rest of the post so possibly you and many others can clearly understand the issue. The OP felt the hotel front desk staff drove his wife to tears.
Just in case I bolded the relevant sections for you.

Somehow a group discussion has emerged debating the needless points and offering advice to solve a problem which didn't exist:

No, I am not asking if I deserve compensation as I understand we were technically in violation since I was not there. No worries.
Notice the OP clearly understand he needed to be there.

Possibly Marriott(and most of the posters in this thread)could work a little harder at understanding service guarantees, here is little list to help:
  1. Acknowledge the problem. that normally resolves 98 % of the customer service compaints
  2. Demonstrate patience and empathy. Defuse the emotion by saying something like “Yes, I’d be upset if that happened to me.”
  3. Apologize if warranted. And, probably even if it isn’t warranted.
  4. Empower employees to solve the issue on the spot if it is something simple, or have the respondent offer to take the issue offline through a phone call or email. This is important because you do not want to be drawn into a prolonged public exchange.
  5. Follow up. Assess specifically what is needed to make the person feel better. If you drop the ball in this phase, expect the emotion and response to escalate.
  6. If the problem persists even after if you have offered a reasonable remedy, either escalate to skilled internal resources or abdicate based on the risk and legitimate severity of the problem.
The front desk staff did not solve a problem they created a problem. Big fail on Marriott's part.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by controller1
Important to note though is that the property can rightly still deny Plat benefits and points if the account holder is not present but they should at least let the named person check-in. My opinion is that Marriott should allow Plat and higher to name 1 spouse/companion per year who is able to check in and get full benefits. But they should then police the benefit and not allow the current situation to continue.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
For those that suggest it was acceptable to treat her like that you live in a strange world and I am sorry for you. I have a hunch those of you who are keyboard cowboys would be a little friendlier if we were face to face in the hotel bar discussing this minor issue.
I think the term is "big internet guy". I completely agree with you, and I'm sorry to hear about the episode.

My wife and I have done this many times, and never had a problem: I always make the reservation in my name, since I have the status. But sometimes she arrives before I do (it could be just minutes because I dropped her off to check in while I park the car, or it could be half a day earlier because we took different flights, or flew together but she went to the hotel while I went to work, etc), so if she will be traveling with me I always call the hotel directly to tell them she will be checking in before I arrive. They make a note of it (she kept her maiden last name) and they disclaim that she will have to show her ID and have a credit card in her own name. That's it. We get all the perks and amenities, and there are zero problems.
SacTownGuy likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
My wife often checks into our hotel rooms, without me present at the desk, and we have never once had a problem. Rooms are in my name. She normally checks in and all is fine. Let's say I have dropped her off and parked the car, she got to town before me, or (god forbid) I am not there at all.

Last week at a CY she was given the riot act to the point she was in tears. The hotel would not let her check in. The "manager" was even ruder than the first employee. The hotel called me to confirm my MR number and phone number and then they let her stay in the room and I still got the points. They wouldn't give her the plat welcome amenity though.

Funny thing was we were paying standard rate for the room of about $300 as it was in Hawaii.

It wasn't a big deal and I do understand my wife's name was not on the rez.

While I understand the policy the hotel clerk kept saying to me that I didn't add my wife's name to the reservation. While Starwood used to have the box to add a name to the rez, if I recal. It seems Marriott has nothing now. It just allows one name. So I can't add a name to a rez. I could change a name but not add a name.

I would never have her check in to a points rez without me there but this kind of front desk police seems a bit much for a standard price room.

When I have someone else check-in on my behalf, I always give the property advanced warning and they accept the request to do so. I then provide the name of the person checking in for me. No problems with this... FWIW, this was all on the Starwood side.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:44 pm

Wife and I have done this dozens of times. I just call hotel day of arrival and tell them she is arriving first. Never a problem on either points or cash stays.

Every time it was was just my name on the reservation booked using my Marriott credit card she did not have. She may have provided her credit card for incidental charges. , I've actually never asked but am wondering now.

If paid by cash I always got the points, etc.

she doesn't know enough to ask for upgrades, and besides there are only a few properties we stay at I actually ask for an upgrade anyway so I just take whatever "upgrade" the hotel offers.

mike
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

1. My wife often checks into our hotel rooms, without me present at the desk, and we have never once had a problem. Rooms are in my name. She normally checks in and all is fine. Let's say I have dropped her off and parked the car, she got to town before me, or (god forbid) I am not there at all.

2. Last week at a CY she was given the riot act to the point she was in tears. The hotel would not let her check in. The "manager" was even ruder than the first employee. The hotel called me to confirm my MR number and phone number and then they let her stay in the room and I still got the points. They wouldn't give her the plat welcome amenity though.

3. Funny thing was we were paying standard rate for the room of about $300 as it was in Hawaii.

4. It wasn't a big deal and I do understand my wife's name was not on the rez.

5. While I understand the policy the hotel clerk kept saying to me that I didn't add my wife's name to the reservation. While Starwood used to have the box to add a name to the rez, if I recal. It seems Marriott has nothing now. It just allows one name. So I can't add a name to a rez. I could change a name but not add a name.

6. I would never have her check in to a points rez without me there but this kind of front desk police seems a bit much for a standard price room.

7. No, I am not asking if I deserve compensation as I understand we were technically in violation since I was not there. No worries.

8. Curious if anybody else has encountered this or maybe it was just a one off situation!?
So let's recap. After reading all the pros/cons (including my own), let's just cut to the recap.

1. Ok - kind of. She gets there before you or you're dropping off the car - totally ok. Not there at all - violation of program/gaming the program.

2. It would be a cold day in hades before I would let a hotel drive me to tears, but that's just me. However, I feel for her if they were as rude as you say. We've got a s/he said situation. though. Her name was not on the reservation (that's all on you) which is why they gave her the hard time. Sounds like they were horribly rude & you can run that up the totem pole, but the bottom line is that - after talking to you on the phone they let her check in & you even got the points (which you shouldn't have gotten) & the only thing you're out was the PAG.

3. Irrelevant to situation.

4. Obviously it was a big deal to you or you wouldn't have started the thread at all - and use the term 'police' in the title.

5. You can, both online & by (oh yeah) just calling the property. When in doubt, always call the property. I don't give a frig what chain or brand you're staying w/. If you're a road warrior you should know properties can do more than online. If you're from SPG I'll give you a bit of understanding, but seriously if you were worried about your wife & not just hoping to do what you've always done & (if you weren't there when your wife stayed under your account on numerous occasions, which it sounds like - aka, gaming the system), call the property.

6. So, since you never have her check into a points reservation w/o you being there but yet they had to call you, simple question - were you actually there? Yes/no.

7. Ok, you obviously answered # 6 & obviously lied in #6 . And given you violated the program T&Cs know you're not due any compensation at all.

8. It can happen. Some properties let spouses check in under the elite's name/ressie w/o confirming stuff. Others don't. Technically policy is the elite needs to be there.

I'll add #9 :

9. If you're going to cheat/game the system, do what you can to mitigate the consequences to your spouse or tell her to put her big pants on because you left her out to dry (yeah, I realize that's mixed metaphors).

Cheers.
DJ_Iceman, CIT85, myperks and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.