Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spouse - check-in issue - Front Desk Police

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
"As an extreme case, what if an angry, estranged spouse showed up and asked for a key?"

That was my first thought.

​​​​​​It should be handled with a polite refusal to complete the check-in until the member arrives.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
I check in most of the time without my husband who is on the reservation. Usually it's because he is parking the car but sometimes I'm meeting him. I have been asked for the CC that was used to book the reservation and since it is our Marriott CC (which has the same CC# on both cards) I've never had an issue.

I have no idea if this makes any difference at a property level but my husband did speak to someone in CS years ago to give them permission for me to have access to his account for any and all issues.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
"As an extreme case, what if an angry, estranged spouse showed up and asked for a key?"

That was my first thought.

​​​​​​It should be handled with a polite refusal to complete the check-in until the member arrives.
I think the difference is if both names are on the reservation then the other person on the reservation is supposed to be able to check in before me.

For example, in the one time I had an issue with this, my ambassador had added her name to my reservation and put in the notes she would arrive a couple of hours before me. The FD told me she should have just waited in the lobby.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
TLDR

Marriott does have a free-text field in the reservation where you can place a note--I use it frequently for this situation (my wife is staying with and may arrive before me) and because we occasionally travel with pets and I want to forestall any issues by ensuring we are placed in a "pet friendly" room for those properties that designate such.

To find it: open a reservation by choosing "View/Modify" from your reservation page > select "Choose Room Features" > there is a field titled "Any special requests or needs?" bottom center of the expanded "room features" section of the page. Note it is limited to 45 characters including spaces--you may have to get creative with abbreviations. Note you must select the "Apply" button to enter the note (and any other selections on the "room features" section). The note appears to "stick", as I've been able to verify it is still there after entering it (e.g., a reservation for this summer made 2 months ago with a note that is still in there as of today). Why this can't be replicated in the "Guest Information" section to name additional guests is beyond me . (Marriott [Bonvoy?] Voice please take note for your web services team...)

Most often I enter a note and call the property. Why, you might ask? To confirm they see the note in the reservation and to get the name of the staff member who confirmed they saw it--I think being able to state you confirmed this request with [insert FDC name they know here] goes a long way to telling them you're not just buffaloing them on the spot. I've not yet had a problem with this that wasn't cleared up by referencing the note and/or the FDC to whom I spoke. Then again, these are early days with the new Marriott and its soon-to-be Bonvoy program...

Interestingly, a long, long time ago Marriott had a free-text field where you could enter a note to the hotel on the reservation page while you were making the initial reservation. If memory serves, it always disappeared after making the reservation, but I confirmed multiple times that the FD staff could see the note when I checked in. I don't recall when this changed, but probably 5 or more years ago when the Marriott.com site took on something resembling its current look. They used to also have a check-box to inform the property you'll be traveling with pets, but that's a separate issue... (again, Marriott [Bonvoy?] Voice please take note for your web services team...)

My wife has often arrived and checked in before me and, very rarely, stayed at a property without me on a reservation made in my name--this has never been our "going-in" plan. If I can't make it for some reason (or will show the next day if multi-day stay), she's always told them I wasn't coming/would be late and why; they've usually extended my benefits to her as a courtesy--she knows she can't demand them and doesn't. My total stays number 4 figures; my wife has stayed with me for fewer than 20% of that; I'm sure it's been fewer than 10 instances where she's been at a property without me under a reservation in my name. Incidentally, our situation is complicated by our not having the same last name (mitigated by a government-issued photo ID that shows I am her husband) and we still haven't had this be a problem so far.

Simply being proactive, above board, and tempering one's expectations should serve to avert problems in like circumstance. A smile, cheerful hello, and "please" and "thank you" go a long way also...it's a struggle sometimes on the road, but always worth the dividends...

One way to avert this altogether (I am NOT advocating fraud here) is to simply check in via mobile app and use the mobile key--you'll never even interact with the FD staff. As it happens I've found mobile-key functionality to be sketchy (probably due to my phone case) and prefer physical keys; I have had a couple of instances in the past year where I've arrived late and didn't feel like waiting in a line to check-in--both times I was able to proceed direct to my room without problem or issue. You can have your account logged in on multiple mobile devices (it is continuously logged in on both my tablet and phone), so it's not like you can't set up a traveling companion to be able to check-in this way (again, NOT advocating fraud--simply pointing out a feature that can make this situation less stressful/inconvenient).

Someone else mentioned the chat feature in the app--I haven't used it myself, but this also seems a viable way to communicate a second guest's identity and prior arrival.

cheers to all and safe travels!
tfong007, ftrichard and ryw like this.

Last edited by AAir_head; Jan 30, 2019 at 5:02 pm Reason: spell czech and grammer
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SHLTP
OP is wrong and seems regularly to game system. You can't book a room under your name and earn points (even if one doesn't get plat benefits) if member not staying in room.

It is called fraud essentially.

Case closed. Why should hotel let spouse in. Not on reservation. Many people try to scam system so FD and mgr seem to be in right. We should applaud FD for maintaining standards so that true plats get benefits because many book rooms for friends in hope of.scamming.
​​​​
​​​​​
I routinely book hotels for kids' out of town athletic events - usually we do it early when season schedule becomes available. Either i or my spouse travel depending on work schedule and other factors. I dont give a hoot about benefits at some courtyard or stay credit for that matter - we just need a room and check in flexibility for either one of us...
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond. Skyteam Elite Plus. Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
This can all be avoided with a quick call or email to your Ambassador prior to checkin. I do this frequently and my wife has never had any problems.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by Tennis69
This can all be avoided with a quick call or email to your Ambassador prior to checkin...
Unless you don’t have one...
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by mjmqm
OP, I would send the GM at the hotel an email describing the situation.
That's a great thought and wherever I've stayed I've looked for an email address - any email address - for the specific Marriott hotel, with no success whatsoever
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
You have to call marriott if you want to add name as you can’t do it online. Maybe if you monile check-in and chat, maybe
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I think the difference is if both names are on the reservation then the other person on the reservation is supposed to be able to check in before me.

For example, in the one time I had an issue with this, my ambassador had added her name to my reservation and put in the notes she would arrive a couple of hours before me. The FD told me she should have just waited in the lobby.
I would be furious. This is one of the few times that justifies DYKWIA. I would ask to speak to the GM to address the FD comment.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mjmqm
OP, I would send the GM at the hotel an email describing the situation. Be clear. Describe how you might have better handled the situation by adding your wife's name to reservation.
Then point out:
If possible include the staff member's names.

The front desk agent and manager could have easily handled the situation in a positive manner yet choose another route. Marriott front desk agents and mangers receive customer handling training, possibly a course refresher is due!!
  • Unfortunately most of the posters in this thread seemed to be as clueless as the front desk agent and the manager.
  • The OP is not asking about missing plat points.
  • Nor is the OP asking who should have access to the room regardless of their attire.
  • And no the thread is not about the names listed on the reservation.
  • "IMO it's over the top to refer to police" sadly referring to the front desk agent as someone who grilled the OP's wife like a police officer grills a suspect during an interrogation seems to have confused one poster.
Bad advice. You're the only one who is clueless about this scenario and the course of action.

We all understood OP was never going to be at the hotel. So what he did was technically wrong. We offered advice on what he should have done to mitigate the very likely situation where his wife was unable to check in by herself.

OP is best to learn from this mistake and do better next time.
DJ_Iceman, dayone, Statman and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by RTWFF
That's a great thought and wherever I've stayed I've looked for an email address - any email address - for the specific Marriott hotel, with no success whatsoever
Maybe send them a 20-page fax with the request to add a name? Any bets they would try to add a charge to your room bill?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
As many posters have mentioned. You put a note in your reservation that you may be late and that your wife's name is XYZ and you give her permission to check in for you. Thats all you can hope for.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:53 am
Original Poster

WOW. The assumptions some of you make. Just wow.

I made clear in my initial post that it wasn't a big deal, I wasn't looking for any compensation, I knew it was against the rules, and "Curious if anybody else has encountered this or maybe it was just a one off situation!?" That's all I was asking. Not a big deal. I appreciate the thought to call and/or use the mobile app chat. I had, honestly, not thought of either. That likely would solve the situation.

I am lifetime plat premiere so one extra night is not going to matter. We had just spent two weeks in Hawaii so had just gotten a nice allotment of nights to start the year working toward our first batch of suite upgrades for the year.

My wife is one of the most mellowest people in the world. She was in shock but certainly would never act like she was something special or deserving of some special treatment. We both know how little plat status means. For those that made assumptions about my wife's behavior I would be interested to know how you know or would even guess how she behaved. Very uncalled for thoughts by you. However, to be yelled at to the point she was crying is uncalled for no matter how she acted. Simply looking at her ID would show same mailing address, credit card would show same card number as the rez was held under, AAA number, etc.... It's fine to deny her the room but not to treat her poorly as she is clearly not a stranger. For those that suggest it was acceptable to treat her like that you live in a strange world and I am sorry for you. I have a hunch those of you who are keyboard cowboys would be a little friendlier if we were face to face in the hotel bar discussing this minor issue.

Those of you who made up crazy fact patterns... yikes your minds wander.

Thank you for those who provided helpful posts above.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
yeah, I don't dismiss the rudeness...but I go thru this scenario frequently as well (as I am in a LDR)...and I always call/email the hotel to let them know

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.