Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Rude to walk in front of people in your same group/zone just before boarding?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rude to walk in front of people in your same group/zone just before boarding?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eltham

Congrats, off-topic post of 2018.

How does an article on 'lining up' qualify as 'off-topic' on a thread complaining about people who don't 'line up' properly?

Do you ever post comments that are relevant to the topic Eltham or do you just post comments about the comments of other posters?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
I can't stand SW's process. I hate having to show my pass to 14 different annoying people so they know if they should get in front of or behind me. I only fly them 4-5 times a year thankfully
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
But then you wouldn't get a pre-departure beverage.
If I want a pre-departure beverage Kevin AA, I have one in the airport 'pre-departure'. I suspect you are really talking about a 'free' drink on the plane, which is of no consequence to me whatsoever. I discovered long ago that there is no such thing as a 'free lunch'. You pay, one way or another.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
When my zone is called I go to the gate and join the line at what I believe is the back of it. If there are people milling about and not in line I will conclude they are in another zone. If they are in the same zone then they should have gotten in line too instead of just standing around.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
How does an article on 'lining up' qualify as 'off-topic' on a thread complaining about people who don't 'line up' properly?

Do you ever post comments that are relevant to the topic Eltham or do you just post comments about the comments of other posters?
I think you lost everyone with Americans executing line jumpers and polite Iranian children dying at the back of 8-hour queues for...something.
RI2KH2SU, strickerj and Eltham like this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
In my case, it was in my city, by someone of approximately my age and same race and gender as me.
That hardly constitutes empirical evidence of anything NYCommuter. I may happen to be in your city and of approximately your age, race and gender. So what? I may at the same time be from another culture or just simply be one of those people hell bent on getting to the overhead bins ahead of others. Whatever the reason for someone 'butting in', questioning their action solves nothing. It is the reason for their action that should be questioned and a solution looked for.

The analogy is having a cold and taking an aspirin. An aspirin will not cure a cold, it treats the symptom, not the cause. It is what we often do, treat the symptom and ignore the cause. I think this thread is a complaint about a 'symptom' that is ignoring the cause.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
I think you lost everyone with Americans executing line jumpers and polite Iranian children dying at the back of 8-hour queues for...something.
Probably pinniped. I guess they all know those things just don't happen in their world. Or should I say in their bubble.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I can’t believe one little inconsiderate act by me caused such a kerfluffle.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
That hardly constitutes empirical evidence of anything NYCommuter. I may happen to be in your city and of approximately your age, race and gender. So what? I may at the same time be from another culture or just simply be one of those people hell bent on getting to the overhead bins ahead of others. Whatever the reason for someone 'butting in', questioning their action solves nothing. It is the reason for their action that should be questioned and a solution looked for.

The analogy is having a cold and taking an aspirin. An aspirin will not cure a cold, it treats the symptom, not the cause. It is what we often do, treat the symptom and ignore the cause. I think this thread is a complaint about a 'symptom' that is ignoring the cause.
My post was in response to this:

I think there are also two other factors at play here. One is culture. In some cultures, 'lining up in an orderly fashion' is simply not the norm. That person walking in front of you may not be doing anything 'rude' at all in their view and it is their view that determines their behaviour, not your view.
The person who cut in front of me was around my age and was of the same race and gender as I am, and nothing about the person's clothing or belongings (or accent) indicated that the person was non-American. Thus I can't attribute a cultural reason for the person's behavior.

I think that questioning someone's action is valid, because asking "why" can help lead to a solution to the problem.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The person who cut in front of me was around my age and was of the same race and gender as I am, and nothing about the person's clothing or belongings (or accent) indicated that the person was non-American. Thus I can't attribute a cultural reason for the person's behavior.
I'm still going with a practical reason: most AA gate areas have no well-defined queues. Passengers typically don't look at or know the boarding groups of the people around them. AA doesn't attempt to line up the 2's separate from the 1's. Passengers don't self-organize this way.

Quite simply, the guy didn't think he was cutting in front of anyone. He just moved to the front of the clump of humanity because he knew his group was next.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:48 am

Probably pinniped. I guess they all know those things just don't happen in their world. Or should I say in their bubble.
But your post about shooting line jumpers or people in some hypothetical refugee camp queue have nothing to do with boarding an AA flight. It's completely off-topic and has nothing do with whether the other posters live in a bubble or not.
strickerj and Eltham like this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
But your post about shooting line jumpers or people in some hypothetical refugee camp queue have nothing to do with boarding an AA flight. It's completely off-topic and has nothing do with whether the other posters live in a bubble or not.

I agree, but have you boarded an Eagle flight recently?
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I'm still going with a practical reason: most AA gate areas have no well-defined queues. Passengers typically don't look at or know the boarding groups of the people around them. AA doesn't attempt to line up the 2's separate from the 1's. Passengers don't self-organize this way.

Quite simply, the guy didn't think he was cutting in front of anyone. He just moved to the front of the clump of humanity because he knew his group was next.
Thanks. I agree with you re: AA gates. AA really should make people line up by zone or something.

The person who cut in front of me, however, DID know my zone--the person commented about it.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:43 pm

Thanks. I agree with you re: AA gates. AA really should make people line up by zone or something.

The person who cut in front of me, however, DID know my zone--the person commented about it.
It's possible he made an assumption that being in Zone 2 it really didn't matter what order you boarded. (It's also possible he was just a jerk.) To answer your original question, I probably wouldn't be irked by this one. Don't get me wrong: if it had been a queue where the line-jumper caused a tangible delay (like to talk to a counter agent about something), I'd be a bit more peeved. But if it's just a race to be the first to put a bag in the bin over Row 8, meh...not a race I have to win.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P

See posts 20 and 26. Do you ever post comments that are relevant to the topic dulciusexasperis?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.